Concerning development for Cable and our O-line

kmedic

Reaction score
Just read an article over at PFT.com about how the NFL is seriously considering banning cutblocks or any other block below the waist. I was definitely not happy to hear that all. Cable's ZBS is predicated on the backside cutblocks for successful execution of the running game. If cutblocks are indeed banned starting in 2013 that's gonna put a major cramp in our running game....yikes!

The Radish

Reaction score
A major hurt in EVERYONE's running game!

Anyway I think a cutback block is by definition below the waist. Just think if players actually had to start tackling again?

:roll:

CANHawk

Reaction score
So we can't hit people in the head, and now we can't hit them below the waist. Hitting in the back has always been bad sooooo.......

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
I think they'll put it under review for another season as soon as someone points out that the precious QB's might get hit more if the cut block is banned

Scottemojo

Reaction score
A lot of this talk is tied to the Brian Cushing injury.

I don't see it happening. Offensive linemen just plain end up on the ground a lot, I can see the enforcement of this rule being damn near impossible. Every defender who trips over a prone lineman would argue he had been cut.

But what do I know, I didn't think Tate illegally blocked the Dallas LB.

sutz

Reaction score
Haven't they been saying this for years? It always seems to come up after a notable injury, then someone points out that it isn't just certain teams doing it. Then it kind of fades.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
If this does happen I do believe that Cable will adjust just like all the other coaches.

Rainger

Reaction score
CANHawk":10yvkmep said:
So we can't hit people in the head, and now we can't hit them below the waist. Hitting in the back has always been bad sooooo.......
Lets just change it to the Flag Football League of America. The FFLA

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
As a former offensive lineman and linebacker I have to say the very idea is...revolting. At some point the whining will win out and the rules will change, I just hope it's years from now.

Steve2222

Reaction score
If they did change the rule, it would probably be something where you can only cut block at the line of scrimmage.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I always thought cutblocks were BS and needed to be gone. For such a manly, straight-up game, cutblocks or crumbling dlinemen at the knees when they can't protect themselves always seemed like a Pu$$ move.

Cable is a great coach and will evolve and adapt as well as any coach in the league. We have some very talented olinemen that will adjust just fine. This also means Clem, Mebane, Wags or whoever is less likely to be dropped for the season because of getting cut at the knees.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kobebryant":1q9b1ugc said:
I always thought cutblocks were BS and needed to be gone. For such a manly, straight-up game, cutblocks or crumbling dlinemen at the knees when they can't protect themselves always seemed like a Pu$$ move.

Cable is a great coach and will evolve and adapt as well as any coach in the league. We have some very talented olinemen that will adjust just fine. This also means Clem, Mebane, Wags or whoever is less likely to be dropped for the season because of getting cut at the knees.

How is a small running back going to be able to block for the qb? Most go low. This will change the game. You will see more tight ends and fullbacks on the roster.

Jville

Reaction score
They can't enforce existing rules with any kind of consistancy or fairness. NFL New York lost control of the league a long time ago. League officials act like a bunch of lawyers running the NFL into the ground ...... much like what is happening in Washington DC.

More evidence >>>>
So it’s surprising that Stafford wasn’t fined. I asked the league office to shed some light on why Vick was fined but Stafford wasn’t, but I got no response.

That sounds so familiar.

Source >>> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... low-block/

kobebryant

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":22pycgwb said:
kobebryant":22pycgwb said:

How is a small running back going to be able to block for the qb? Most go low. This will change the game. You will see more tight ends and fullbacks on the roster.

Now that I don't mind because RBs throw those blocks on suspecting guys charging the backfield and there is a chance for the defender to protect himself with his hands.

As an example, what I don't like is lets say on sunday Clem is carrying out backside responsibilities sliding down the LOS scrimmage to get Bush on a run to the other side, Clem is focused on the ball carrier and Incognito is within the rules to missile his body into Clem's knees. Our guys do it too, about as well as anyone in the game, and I am not knocking olinemen because currently they are allowed to - I just wont miss it if it leaves. So many rules to protect the O and their coconuts, maybe protect some defensive players knees while we are at it. Just IMO.

I played juco hoops and we always pressed full court, and though it was within the rules nothing infuriated me more than when the PG would run me full speed into a blindside midcourt screen. I've always been of the opinion of its a mans game lets play straight up and honest.

sutz

Reaction score
They don't cut block at the knees. They cut block at the thighs.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Cutting is as honest as any other play. It's about reaching defenders you wouldn't be able to reach otherwise. All that backside cutting Cable loves would be gone and the NFL running game as we know it would be changed. More power blasts, less zone reads, tosses, stretch plays. The playbook will be even more slanted towards the passing game. That's not an NFL I'd enjoy.

Of course, like the NFL cares. I loved kickoffs and the return game, but they had to fix something that wasn't broken.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
We will not even recognize NFL football, the most popular sport in America, twenty years from now. It will resemble "flag football", I believe. One will be able to run defensive interferrence, but not knock an opponent to the ground.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
They redid the rule once and I think that was sufficient. It was due to the 49ers hitting the ground ASAP and rolling up players, causing a lot of injuries. It is a legit block one of the only ways a smaller player can take on a big dude.