Red Bryant missed practice

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Thursday....foot issue.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2012/11/22/red-bryant-misses-practice-with-foot-issue/

Seattle Seahawks defensive end Red Bryant did not practice today because of a foot issue, the only player that did not practice as the team worked outside today.

Bryant missed practice with a foot issue the week leading up to the New York Jets game on Nov. 11, but still played on Sunday.

On a positive note, James Carpenter was a Full Participant.

After practicing for the first time in over a month as a limited participant on Wednesday, offensive guard James Carpenter was a full participant in practice on Thursday, and appears on schedule to play this weekend against Miami.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
If Red played against the Jets two weeks ago...he's had two weeks of rest now, I'd expect him to "suck it up" and play Sunday.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2vlhde60 said:
If Red played against the Jets two weeks ago...he's had two weeks of rest now, I'd expect him to "suck it up" and play Sunday.
Kind of a joke to say that, without knowing the specifics of the problem...

Sent from Gilead using a thinny.

Sac

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":176bocbu said:
No joke....just plain logical!

Sure, it's logical...unless you think it's a possibility that he made the foot injury worse by playing on it against the Jets. That might be too logical.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I'm thinking he plays. Not really worried about it yet.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawksfan515":15sovpiy said:
Dangit. Who could back up Red??
Players miss practice all the time and are full go come game day. Don't freak out.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Red is a "tough SOB"! I reckon that he plays at least the first half. If we get a two TD lead....then he might "ride the pine".

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Big guys and foot injuries don't go well. Especially when they're overweight and Red is. Ideally I'd like him to get down to 315-320. Really hope he's ok and hope he gets it. Please don't let it be a hairline....

Jones has taken reps at 5 as has Scruggs. It will be a fall off in run D, but likely a better pass rush. One thing about Red playing the 5 in the pass rush is that he bull rushes a lot and it cuts off the backside getaway when Clem is closing in. When the opposite outside end is more of a speed rusher then the sort of symbiotic affect of the DT pass rush lanes are that much more important. They have to be able to cut off the QB stepping up in the pocket. DEs need to throw those inside redirects in there every now and then.

Anyway, probably Jones....if Red can't go, that is.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2lu8qwop said:
Sure, it's logical...unless you think it's a possibility that he made the foot injury worse by playing on it against the Jets. That might be too logical.

gasp.gif

Keanu mind blown

Basis4day

Reaction score
vin.couve12":gkq6drkx said:
Big guys and foot injuries don't go well. Especially when they're overweight and Red is. Ideally I'd like him to get down to 315-320. Really hope he's ok and hope he gets it. Please don't let it be a hairline....

Jones has taken reps at 5 as has Scruggs. It will be a fall off in run D, but likely a better pass rush. One thing about Red playing the 5 in the pass rush is that he bull rushes a lot and it cuts off the backside getaway when Clem is closing in. When the opposite outside end is more of a speed rusher then the sort of symbiotic affect of the DT pass rush lanes are that much more important. They have to be able to cut off the QB stepping up in the pocket. DEs need to throw those inside redirects in there every now and then.

Players sit out all the time and still play. Did you see the injury report before the jets game?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was using that foot get him some turkey and cornbread. Of course I'm kidding.

By this time of the season most everyone of the big dudes have some nagging health complication or another. Hope his is not serious enough to keep him out of the next two games. He is an important part of the present D.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Red was totally getting his grub on, non-issue.

His father in law probably pulled some strings.

kendog2639

Reaction score
Red isnt playing like he was last year... there running all over us with him in there!! kinda curious to see someone else in there at that position anyway

hawksfan515

Reaction score
vin.couve12":a9ljh4k9 said:

Thanks Vin. Yeah, when you think about it, if Red Bryant ever gets injured.... I wonder if it will tear the defense apart. Especially because he was once labeled "injury prone" :bitenails:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1txmf7ly said:

If Red missed time, I think Alan Branch plays his spot and we see a lot more of Jason Jones and Clinton McDonald at DT.

Branch is very similar to Red size-wise, and plays against the run. Also remember that Branch played DE in Arizona. I thought when we signed Branch originally that it was to be Red's backup before they put him almost exclusively at DT.

CANHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2eg2rqol said:
hawksfan515":2eg2rqol said:

If Red missed time, I think Alan Branch plays his spot and we see a lot more of Jason Jones and Clinton McDonald at DT.

Branch is very similar to Red size-wise, and plays against the run. Also remember that Branch played DE in Arizona. I thought when we signed Branch originally that it was to be Red's backup before they put him almost exclusively at DT.

This exactly. I believe Branch was brought in to start at 3-tech, but with the skillset to slide over to 5 incase Red goes out for an extended period of time like in `10. If Red is out, I'd expect to see them activate Jay Howard and see him in there between Branch and Mebane a few times on the obvious running downs as he seems to be a bigger body and more of a run stuffer than Jones or McDonald (Jones deffinately, maybe a tie w/ McD).

All that said though, I'm FULLY expecting to see Red play on Sunday and all this hand wringing to be a moot point.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":7ogn1z80 said:
Wasn't Scruggs brought up as someone who could play the 5-Tech on draft day?

Much like O-line, I think the ability to play multiple spots on the line was definately an atribute we were looking for in the draft. However, we seem to like our 5-tech end to be a big tall strong guy with crazylong arms that can control two gaps against the run. Branch definately fits that physical description better than anyone else on the team not named Red Bryant. Scruggs seems more like a pass rusher than a big bodied run stuffer. Actually he looks like a bit of a `tweener...

Come to think of it, I can reeeealy see Scruggs evolving to take over Jason Jones's role as the pennetrating 3-tech to be honest. And with his mix of size and speed, he could very well be the every down 3-tech that Branch and Jones can't be.