New DVOA ratings, Seahawks #9 O, #2 D, #9 ST

hawksfan515

Reaction score
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff2012

#9 on offense, #7 weighted! Holy crap!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2012

#2 on defense! HOLY CRAP!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst2012

And #9 on special teams, quite a respectable number (#11 weighted though :( )

We are the only team with all 3 categories of a team in the top 10. Most complete team!

And guys, in the defensive categories, we are #1 versus the #1 AND #2 receivers. Then #7 and #9 against RB's and TE's. But then when you get to other WR's we drop all the way down to #21.... lol..

I think this stat basically says we have the best CB tandem in the NFL.

mistaowen

Reaction score
It is pretty funny how obviously bad we were at covering #3 and #4 receivers. A lot of said on here how that was what was destroying us and led to our losses. #21 seems about right in that area.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
mistaowen":fse8xaca said:
It is pretty funny how obviously bad we were at covering #3 and #4 receivers. A lot of said on here how that was what was destroying us and led to our losses. #21 seems about right in that area.

Well we aren't obviously bad.

Obviously bad is last year when we were ranked #32 in covering RB's. That is obviously bad.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Happy to see the Hawks doing so well with DVOA rankings, which is the most accurate form of rankings IMO.

the ditch

Reaction score
They also claim we're the second most consistent team. I'm trying to just enjoy the ride right now, comparing to where we were in the Mora year, we have come a long way, who knows how long it will last but ride the lightening.

dunceface

Reaction score
I want the division THIS year! and this tells me there is no reason that can't happen, just need a couple things to fall in place...
GO HAWKS!!!!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Weighted are the numbers that really matter, where we're #11 for special teams; but still, this is great. Obviously, we all know our offense has improved by leaps and bounds the past few games, but I didn't realize our overall ranking had climbed quite so much. This is awesome.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ghyttp0 said:
Weighted are the numbers that really matter, where we're #11 for special teams; but still, this is great. Obviously, we all know our offense has improved by leaps and bounds the past few games, but I didn't realize our overall ranking had climbed quite so much. This is awesome.

ABANDON SHIP! WE FELL TO #11 ON SPECIAL TEAMS RANKINGS!

:sarcasm_off: ;)

arghawkfan

Reaction score
"But then when you get to other WR's we drop all the way down to #21.... lol.."

So we might be screwed against Miami because even their GM said they don't have any #1 or #2 WR's, that they are filled with a bunch of 3's 4's and 5's

amill87

Reaction score
Was just checking out NFL.com defense stats as well.

We are #2 in points allowed
#3 in yards
#3 pass yards
#5 sacks

With the teams we face and the teams the other top defenses face, we have a shot at being the #1 ranked defense.

And the best thing is we are middle of the pack in turnovers. The reason that is good is because unlike the Bears, if our defense doesn't force turnovers we aren't completely screwed. Turnovers are an added bonus for us, not something we need to have happen for us to win.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Those statistics state what I have suspected all season long. Our corners are so good they literally delete the #1 and #2 WRs from the stat sheet. They are so good, in fact, that QBs rarely test them, instead opting to throw over the middle of the field on short/intermediate distance passes, or hitting RBs in the flat on screens and swing routes. Nothing else is open for them.

What impresses me most is that we do this primarily with man coverage. Man cover corners are a dying breed in the modern NFL (though they may be coming back thanks to us), making good ones very rare and difficult to find in the draft. Thanks to our simply amazing scouting efforts, we have two elite man cover corners, which lets us play cover 1 and even cover 0 looks without it being too risky to attempt.

Compare this to the days when Trufant and Jennings were our starting corners. Trufant was never bad, but even during his Pro Bowl year, he was no Brandon Browner or Richard Sherman.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3j9cdgbn said:
Those statistics state what I have suspected all season long. Our corners are so good they literally delete the #1 and #2 WRs from the stat sheet. They are so good, in fact, that QBs rarely test them, instead opting to throw over the middle of the field on short/intermediate distance passes, or hitting RBs in the flat on screens and swing routes. Nothing else is open for them.

What impresses me most is that we do this primarily with man coverage. Man cover corners are a dying breed in the modern NFL (though they may be coming back thanks to us), making good ones very rare and difficult to find in the draft. Thanks to our simply amazing scouting efforts, we have two elite man cover corners, which lets us play cover 1 and even cover 0 looks without it being too risky to attempt.

Compare this to the days when Trufant and Jennings were our starting corners. Trufant was never bad, but even during his Pro Bowl year, he was no Brandon Browner or Richard Sherman.

Hell yes :th2thumbs:

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
That shows me that there are some major bias going on in the power rankings... I havent seen us in the top ten anyway.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I wonder if Thurmond coming back will help relieve stats against the slot receivers and dump offs? Hmmm.. Trufant is great depth to have but he is over the hill and not a great nickle corner.

rideaducati

Reaction score
mistaowen":ttcld91f said:

I believe this is about to change with Thurmond III coming back from injury. Trufant played admirably, but has lost a few steps.