Home opponents vs. Road opponents

Ballz

Reaction score
The five teams that we've played at home this year have a combined record of 29-21, with 4 out of the 5 being .500 or better. Results for Seahawks = 5-0

The five teams that we've played on the road have a combined record of 20-28-2, with 4 out of the 5 teams having losing records. Results for Seahawks = 1-4

I suppose these statistics don't really tell us anything we don't already know. We're world beaters at home, and maybe even more below average than I'd like to admit on the road. The only road win we have this season is to a 2-8 team. A little perspective for those that have already decided we're going to blow the doors off Miami on Sunday.

CANHawk

Reaction score
We've been super close in our road losses and with the exception of Detroit all happened early in the season and could be blamed on the offense. I'm willing to chalk our road losses (less Detroit) to growing pains related to a young QB needing to bond with a new-ish offense.

But we have to see something on Sunday now that we've had more than half a season to get everyone on the O on the same page.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Im not chalking this game up as a win. I chalked Arizona, St Louis, and Detroit as wins before the game and look how that turned out. On the contrary, I thought we'd lose to Carolina and how'd that turn out.

Miami is far from a give me game in my book until I am proven wrong with our road troubles.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
AZ caught us by surprise and the rest of the league for the first four weeks, Add in first NFL game for the rookie and the lack of reps with the eventual starters and it really isn't as big a surprise.

Rams caught us after two huge wins against Dallas and GB and right after a huge controversial game, They also were playing inspired football early in the year and showed against the Niners that division games are a completely different animal.

Niners game was right after beating the Patriots and pretty expectantly we came out flat. Dropped balls all over the field and our defense looked very tired. You could feel the wariness of the team by half time and it shouldn't be a huge surprise we didn't play our best.

Detroit was a game I think we showed we can play offense even on the road but the defense again was looking worn out.

Now after the bi I am hopeful those tired legs and nagging injuries have had time to get set right. Add to that we are in the playoff hunt and I could see us playing some inspired football.

For the reasons above I am more confident about both the Miami and Chicago game but you still have to factor in Miami just got humiliated on the road and teams often bounce back violently from those games, plus a 5000 mile trip and a ten AM start and there still is reason for concern in Miami. Chicago showed against the Niners that they are not nearly the team their record indicates but that was with Campbell and not Cutler. Cutler is someone who can be rattled but if you don't get him rattling he will often tear the lid off your defense. This is also a long trip (close to 3000 miles IIRC) a 10AM start again and week two on the road. Week two seems to be nearly as hard to win as a Thursday night game for teams that won the previous week. I haven't looked up the stats but of the games I do know, the odds of winning week two after winning week one on the road are significantly reduced and likely twice as bad when you travel 8000 miles in 8 days. Consider that is probably more miles than half the east coast teams will travel in an entire season. Kind of makes you wonder how the NFL can think it is to difficult for east coast teams to travel west more than twice in a season but it is perfectly ok for us to not only do it in 8 days but have back to back 10 am starts to boot.

12thMan1

Reaction score
I like to keep in mind that in all of our losses we weren't dominated and had opportunties to comeback and win. A moot point since they ARE losses but I definitely believe our team is better than our record shows. Even more now than ever now that they've let Wilson throw the ball more and develop some chemistry with the receiving corp.