Is Russell having the best "young" debut ever for Hawks?

pehawk

Reaction score
So, I'm wondering if in the ol'timers opinion if Wilson's out playing other young QB's who started with Hawks? Not necessarily rookie years, just young QB's who cracked the NFL in Seattle.

All I can say is he's surpassed; Hass's debuts as a Hawk. And, RW's probably about one more completion from being better than Mirer in his rookie year.

I'm too young to know if Wilsons playing better than Zorn or Krieg did in their first years? I know Radish, Absolute, and Lymon can speak to those guys.

Not really stats, but eyeball test.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
In my memory without a doubt he is if we're only talking QB's, although I dont really remember Mudbone or Zorn as young players either.

If we're talking Seahawks as a whole i'd take Curt Warner (rushed for almost 1500 yards as a rookie) or Lofa Tatupu as the best young first year players.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2llrvc42 said:
In my memory without a doubt he is if we're only talking QB's, although I dont really remember Mudbone or Zorn as young players either.

If we're talking Seahawks as a whole i'd take Curt Warner (rushed for almost 1500 yards as a rookie) or Lofa Tatupu as the best young first year players.

Well, by the rookie year measurement, its obviously Pork Chop Womack. Not even close, your dumb! So Pork Chop!

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Yes. I saw all of them since the franchise started. Seattle had some really good QB 's as well. RW is even better than Mirer in his 1st year

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Aren't we forgetting about David Greene?

I'll wait to make this judgment until I see a full 16 from RW. Rick Mirer was pretty impressive on a worse team through the first ten games as well.

nategreat

Reaction score
JSeahawks":fs20cggw said:

Season's not over yet, we'll see if Russell Wilson can break the record for most rookie TD passes. If he does, would that sway your opinion? He's still improving, that's the scary thing!

hawker84

Reaction score
brian bosworth has set the bar, i'm afraid this shall never be challenged... :pukeface:

impacthawk

Reaction score
I was 11 years old when the Seahawks entered the league in the fall of 76'. I attended every home game until 1989, and I have watched every single Seahawks game that has ever been played, if not in person, then on TV. Without a doubt, Wilson is having a special year for a rookie, at any position. Of all the players at any position only a few come to mind that stand out. Curt Warner had an amazing rookie campaign, and one of the best overall rookie performances ever for the Seahawks....but most overlooked was Joey Gallaway. I think he racked up like 1500 all-purpose yards....or something like that.

Obviously it is hard to place Wilson in this rookie class list just yet, as the season still need to unfold. But he is clearly on track to have a historic rookie campaign as a QB....not only for the Seahawks, but for the entire NFL and its hundred plus year history. I believe in the end, Wilson's rookie year won't be remembered for his yardage thrown, but rather by his efficiency. The guy is just a gamer.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
As far as the eye test, and perhaps time has soften my recollection, Jimmy did a lot with NFL cast-offs and rookies. Like Russell seems to be doing, he improved each year until his injury.

He reminds me the most of what Wilson would probably look like if our OL was truly as bad as some of us think, running for his life, passing on the run and throwing in some designed QB runs.

On a different note, it always brings a smile to my face when we complain about our OL, that first line was truly awful probably ranking just behind the ‘92/’93 ones. Until you watched those guys you don’t know what bad is…

The thing Russell has done that no other young Seahawk QB had been able to do is eliminate INTs; so far anyway…

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
If Seahawks.Net existed in 1993, we'd all be giddy about our great young rookie QB and how bright the future is, and we have a great RB and top 10 defense.

I'm just saying -- enjoy the moment, but things can change in a hurry.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":1g28qr96 said:
As far as the eye test, and perhaps time has soften my recollection, Jimmy did a lot with NFL cast-offs and rookies. Like Russell seems to be doing, he improved each year until his injury.

He reminds me the most of what Wilson would probably look like if our OL was truly as bad as some of us think, running for his life, passing on the run and throwing in some designed QB runs.

On a different note, it always brings a smile to my face when we complain about our OL, that first line was truly awful probably ranking just behind the ‘92/’93 ones. Until you watched those guys you don’t know what bad is…

The thing Russell has done that no other young Seahawk QB had been able to do is eliminate INTs; so far anyway…

I love the eliminating INT's thing. I swear, no throw over the past 2 games has even come CLOSE to being intercepted. If he polishes up those fumble problems (haven't happened much at all) then he will be a stud, no doubt.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1jp7x5d0 said:
If Seahawks.Net existed in 1993, we'd all be giddy about our great young rookie QB and how bright the future is, and we have a great RB and top 10 defense.

I'm just saying -- enjoy the moment, but things can change in a hurry.

Yup.

hawker84

Reaction score
he already is a stud, those sack fumbles are going to happen, to a rookie or elite vet...it's just the defense making a good play.. going to happen...

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
It is surprising how much this team resembles the feeling of that ’93 team...

I’d only take exception to the top ten defense. Undeterred by the fact they had an Allpro DB in Eugene Robinson (who led the team in INTs w/9) and having arguably the best DT in the league, their “bend don’t break” defense broke most of the times and gave up a gazillion yds. To call their corners average would be generous at best IMHO. Then when teams got into the red zone they seemed to forget how to tackle RBs or QBs IIRC. I’m afraid you’d have to search long and hard to find a defensive stat in the top ten.

This defense is head and shoulders above the ’93 one…

But your point is well taken the anticipation and excitement is strangely similar…

seahawk2k

Reaction score
The 1993 defense was top 10 in the league in four different categories, but, it was the start of the decline on defense when you compare it to the 91 and 92 units. the 91 defense didn't allow a 300 yard passer or a 100 yard rusher, in fact, until Tim Rosenbach went off on the Hawks late in the 1993 season, the Hawks hadn't allowed a 300 yard passer since the last game of the 1989 season.

Looking back, the first half of the 1993 season was fools gold in that it was a young team winning a lot of close games against bad teams, this years Hawks have beaten some damn good squads so far.

Correction, I forgot about Warren Moon earlier in the 93 season chucking the ball 50+ times for 350 and change.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":36vehffw said:
So, I'm wondering if in the ol'timers opinion if Wilson's out playing other young QB's who started with Hawks? Not necessarily rookie years, just young QB's who cracked the NFL in Seattle.

All I can say is he's surpassed; Hass's debuts as a Hawk. And, RW's probably about one more completion from being better than Mirer in his rookie year.

I'm too young to know if Wilsons playing better than Zorn or Krieg did in their first years? I know Radish, Absolute, and Lymon can speak to those guys.

Not really stats, but eyeball test.

Zorn was pretty darn fun to watch. He would move even more than Russ and throw the ball off of his back foot for deep strikes. The fact that he was left-handed was also fun. The thing with those days is you didn't expect much, so even the average plays seemed great. I think we went 9-7 like 3 years in and that was amazing and Zorn was the man. Then he broke his leg and that was that.

As far as young players go... I think the other young player that had this huge of an impact on the team was Curt Warner. From play one watching #28 was like watching something magical happen in front of our eyes. He was a man among boys and clearly was the best player to ever suit up on the offensive side of the ball for the Hawks. Having both he and Kenny Easley on the team at the same time made us all sit back and say, "Wait a second.... we're on to something here... and it's VERY good." Then the team went into Miami on New Year's Eve and Curt scored that TD in the rain to win and everything was right with the world. In that game Krieg was off, Largent didn't catch a ball until quite late in the game and was essentially a non-factor. It was Green, Bryant, Nash, Easley, and Curt and the OL that carried the team that day. It was trench warfare in probably the most hostile road stadium in the country.

Curt broke his leg in I believe week 1 and was never quite the same, but was still great (figure that one out) and Kenny's kidneys died. Otherwise, things would have been a lot different. Curt Warner brought that excitement and enthusiasm to the team that a lot of you young guys are feeling right now for Russell. When Curt had the ball in his hands there was a chance he'd score... every single time. He was that dynamic. For those who watch Adrian Peterson now.... Curt was that kind of player, only I think he was a better receiver and much tougher. His injury was a severe break to the leg, he wasn't a guy that was always having issues like hamstrings and the like. He got one fluke injury in his career and that was that. But he still played on. Curt was faster than most wide receivers and for me personally he was the first RB I ever saw split out as a WR in college and burn a DB over the top for a long TD. When the Hawks drafted him I was giving my dad high fives for about 10 minutes because I knew he was going to change the culture of the whole team. I felt the same way the day they drafted RW. So I think things are going to continue to improve. Let's just keep him healthy eh?

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
It is very reminiscent of Mirer's start. I think Mirer's was actually seen as more of a big deal around the league because of the rookie records and because he had been expected to be a big franchise guy. So as far as QB's I think in '93 people might have really thought we'd found our guy. I hope we have now, and I think with Russell's work ethic it will prove out.

Frankly I don't really expect Wilson to become a record braking guy. I think he will develop into a fine franchise QB and win us many games, but as far as a monster Peyton Manning type year, I don't think we'll ever see that. I do think we will see much success. I think other than his love of and commitment to the game, the best thing about Wilson is that he doesn't make a lot of big mistakes, and when he does he's the kind of guy who will learn from it and step up his game.

hawker84

Reaction score
apparently you're just not seeing how special this kid really is.. besides the natural athletic abilities, he just has the it factor, can't coach it into you, you're just born with it... montana, staubauch,manning,elway, marino .... they all have that it factor, teams literally fear playing them... RW will have this effect on teams as well.. and put up the numbers to back it up.... can't explain what "it" is , i just see it on the field when he's playing.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3272ch3y said:
The 1993 defense was top 10 in the league in four different categories, but, it was the start of the decline on defense when you compare it to the 91 and 92 units. the 91 defense didn't allow a 300 yard passer or a 100 yard rusher, in fact, until Tim Rosenbach went off on the Hawks late in the 1993 season, the Hawks hadn't allowed a 300 yard passer since the last game of the 1989 season.

Looking back, the first half of the 1993 season was fools gold in that it was a young team winning a lot of close games against bad teams, this years Hawks have beaten some damn good squads so far.

Correction, I forgot about Warren Moon earlier in the 93 season chucking the ball 50+ times for 350 and change.

LOL when I said they had NO top ten stats it was a bit tongue in cheek, but as I recall the season (and granted it is a bit hazy) when the stopped the pass they couldn’t stop the run, and vice versa. When they had good defensive games they couldn’t score. It was a frustrating season in that they seldom seemed to put together a complete game on both sides of the ball.

That said I’m sure this season will be remembered more fondly…

Fox0r

Reaction score
Admittedly, I was 8 at the beginning of the '93 season, so my memory is spotty at best ... but how are people even thinking of drawing comparisons between Mirer's rookie year and Wilson's?

Mirer finished with a 56% completion percentage, only 12 TDs with 17 ints. Russell has a 62% compleition percentage with 15 TDs, 8 INTs. Mirer's TD% was 2.5. Russell's is something like 5.4 or 5.6 or 5.9%. Mirer's Y/A was 5.8. Russell's is 7.2. Mirer was sacked 47 times. Russell has been sacked like 17? Maybe less?

There is no comparison. Russell Wilson is great. Mirer was a bust.