Russell Wilson = Troy Aikman

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Over the last few weeks I've become more and more convinced that Russell Wilson is the real deal. The biggest issue most seem to have is that we aren't averaging 225-250 yards a game. Infact Wilson is currently throwing for less yards/game than Tarvarias Jackson did last year. IIRC he averaged around 210 yards/gm. Russell is in the 180's.

When the idea of a pointguard QB was brought and further expanded by Kearly and English I immediately thought of Troy Aikman. Here's a guy who won 3 Super Bowls and was the leader of the Dynasty in the 90's. He's a hall of famer and most would consider him and "Elite QB".

So it surprised me to no end when I actually looked at his career stats. WIth Irvin, Novachek, Moose and Emmitt out of the backfield, they had a lot of good weapons that could move the chains. My dad is a Cowboys fan and I always cursed him team and the seemingly always picked up first downs when they needed them Most.

When you look at the 2 teams and QB's there are striking similarities. First the QB's

Aikman averaged just 200 yards a game throughout his career (unbeleivable right?). He had a 61.5% completion %, a 7.0 yards/Attmpt. He had just 1 season with 20+ TD's. (1992= 23). Averaging a mere 13.75 TD's/ Season.He averaged 11.75 INT's per season (He had 3 years with sub-10 INT ). Meanwhile the Cowboys had a terrific defense and an Elite OL and RB. The cowboys didn't need to throw it all over the year because they usually were able to build up a good lead by the mid-third quarter and they would rely on their "closer" Emmitt Smith to take them to the finish line.

Seattle is built much the same way a point guard QB with an elite running game supplemented by a pretty good defense that is still developing.

http://www.nfl.com/player/troyaikman/24 ... areerstats

My main point in sharing this is to say that Yards and prolific figures don't always equate to championships. The more complete teams are the one's that win. This Seattle team is much more complete than the one that began the season. The offense and defense both bring something to the table and it is evident by the play 4 of the last 5 weeks. I'm not concerned about the lack of passing yards so long as he continues to throw TD's and limits mistakes. I'm excited to see how this team grows over the next 3 weeks.

hawker84

Reaction score
championship qb's do whatever it takes to win (well), whether it's handing the ball off, or passing to pick up that key first down... everything in between is icing on the cake.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I just do not understand why people are so concerned w/ the passing yardage stat. Just look at last week, 5/7 QB's that threw for over 300 yds lost. The point is most often the losing QB is the one that has to throw for the most yards in an effort to catch up. I see absolutely nothing wrong w/ only throwing for 200 or even less yards as long as we win the game. WINS is what it is all about people. The yardage will come naturally in time....no worries.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Russell Wilson = Russell Wilson

He's his own man, playing QB his way.

Our team isn't the 2000 Ravens or the 85 Bears. They are the 2012 Seahawks. Let them make a name for themselves.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
TheHawkster":c6wibzmt said:
Hopefully he'll have less concussions.
:13: I think Aikman suffered around 10 concussions in his career,...that's a lot,...

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Russell is Russell, but it is good to see a comparison like this and see that championships CAN be won when the team isn't necessarily thrown the lights out of the ball. Thanks for the look up.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2gzxom5l said:
Russell is Russell, but it is good to see a comparison like this and see that championships CAN be won when the team isn't necessarily thrown the lights out of the ball. Thanks for the look up.

Pretty much.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Aikman played on some absolutely LOADED teams. Those were the pre-salary cap days where the Cowboys and 49ers were buying 13 win teams.

I agree with Salish, I think Troy was overrated.. but still a good QB. If Wilson developed into that type of QB.. that's not a bad thing.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Aikman was very overrated. He was the beneficiary of the talent surrounding him. On a different team, he would have been a mediocre QB and would not have lasted in the league nearly as long, especially in the era he played. But he was a smart QB like Wilson is.

The main difference I see between Aikman and Wilson is arm strength. Wilson has a much better arm.

OP
OP
J

jlwaters1

Reaction score
HawkFan72":d9v5136s said:
Aikman was very overrated. He was the beneficiary of the talent surrounding him. On a different team, he would have been a mediocre QB and would not have lasted in the league nearly as long, especially in the era he played. But he was a smart QB like Wilson is.

The main difference I see between Aikman and Wilson is arm strength. Wilson has a much better arm.

That's probably true for every QB in the league. You think Tom Brady becomes the stud if he's on the Browns? I doubt it. Do you think Eli would have 2 rings if he went to the Chargers? Do you think Joe Montana would have been incredible without Bill Walsh?

SO much of the success of a player depends on the situation he lands in. Matt Ryan, Ben Rothlisburger, Joe Flacco are all enjoying success but all 3 of them went to teams with good supporting cast. Whereas Derek Carr went to a dumpster fire in Houston and Up until last year Alex Smith was an embarrassment.

I think Pete Carroll is the perfect coach for Russell Wilson. He could have been drafted by Philly (who wanted him) but he'd probably be struggling with the battered OL and their inability to commit to the run. This is the perfect situation for RW to grow and develop in.

pehawk

Reaction score
Aikman was NOT overrated. Was he Elway? No. But he threw the ball, to the same spot, every play, within centimeters. Millen compared him to a robot, and said while different, and not as athletic as Elway, Aikman was great in his way.

I don't get the comparison, except maybe like Aikman, Wilson will make coaching damn easy. A Cowboy fans told me that, Jimmy benefited from a human jugs machine (my new nickname) more than anything.

I've had some concerns over Carroll on gameday this year, but really think Wilson will enable Carroll to climb into a Cowher, Bowden, J Johnson type role.

beehawk46

Reaction score
Love the post. There OL was incredible and in my opinion had one of the hardest working receivers in NFL history. If we can get close to 1 Superbowl I'm impressed thus far.

OP
OP
J

jlwaters1

Reaction score
pehawk":zhlulyna said:
Aikman was NOT overrated. Was he Elway? No. But he threw the ball, to the same spot, every play, within centimeters. Millen compared him to a robot, and said while different, and not as athletic as Elway, Aikman was great in his way.

I don't get the comparison, except maybe like Aikman, Wilson will make coaching damn easy. A Cowboy fans told me that, Jimmy benefited from a human jugs machine (my new nickname) more than anything.

I've had some concerns over Carroll on gameday this year, but really think Wilson will enable Carroll to climb into a Cowher, Bowden, J Johnson type role.

The intention of this thread wasn't to so much compare the 2 QB's attributes as merely to point out that a HOF QB who was extremely successfull only managed 200 yards a game over his career. That he only exceeded 20 TD's in 1 of his 12 seasons. The Point is we shouldn't be worried that Wilson isn't throwing for 275 yards a game. Just appreciate the efficiency to which he is playing. He may never be a consistent 300 yard passer, but who cares if he's scoring TD's and limiting turnovers.

usc17hawk

Reaction score
Not arguing with the OP, but I'd prefer comparing Wilson to ANYONE other than Aikman. When he was playing I hated him with a passion.

hawker84

Reaction score
if anyone on that team was overrated it was emmet smith... my sister could have picked up yardage behind that line... he was good but no where near the talent of Barry Sanders, or some of the other greats, sweetness, dorsett, too many to name.. imagine barry sanders or eric dickerson running behind that line, they would have destroyed his rushing yards title....

sam1313

Reaction score
I wish our OL was comparable to the Cowboys' OL. That OL was dominant, and something we should be striving for this off-season. We have at least 3 of the 5 spots filled well, but we need to finish it off and ensure we have adequate back-up. That will be the best thing we can do for RW going forward.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I can see Wilson averaging 200 yds/game by the end of the year, as we've seen the offense unfold and expand. Plus, we're going to need to pass a bit more when teams stack the box to stop Lynch.

I can see the end of the year starting to look like Mike Holmgren game plans (on offense). We might start out passing to open up the run and to take teams off balance.

I also see Wilson only averaging 200-225 yds/game for a good while, since he'll probably be averaging 30-50 yards rushing a game.

That's the one thing I really dig about Wilson's game; he's probably the smartest running QB I've ever seen. That guy NEVER takes unnecessary shots.