Russell Wilson -- One Step Away from Making NFL History ...

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have really looked in depth at Wilson's stats ... but he is starting to amass some pretty impressive numbers actually. Consider this ...

For starters, Wilson has already basically surpassed in production what Tavaris Jackson did last season. Jackson had 14 TD's to go along with 13 INT's, 3,091 yards, a 60.2 Comp% ... and a QB Rating of 79.2. That's not what's impressive, actually.

What IS impressive is when you stop to consider that Wilson (in Game #10) already has 15 TD's. (Which leads all of the rookie QB's this season) Now for those who haven't done the math regarding the pace he is on, let me connect the dots for you ...

Over the past 5 Games (Since the Patriots Game), Russell Wilson has 10 TD passes and only 2 INT's. That frankly is a remarkable pace. So, he is averaging 2 TD passes ... to only .4 INT a game.

If he keeps up that pace, Wilson will finish the season with 27 TD passes ... and 10 INT.

Now I can hear some of you out there saying, OKAY ... that's a good season, but what's so remarkable about that?

Well ... 27 TD's IS a rather impressive ... when you stop to consider that Peyton Manning set the record for a Rookie QB back in 1998 -- with 26 TD's. When Manning broke that record ... it was a record that had stood for 50 years. So if he keeps up this pace, Wilson has a chance to tie or break Manning's rookie record.

And just a little aside here -- the year that we went to the Super Bowl ... Matt Hasselbeck had 24 TD's to only 9 INT. If Wilson averages a mere 200 yards passing/game (and given the opponents we have coming up I believe that's quite do-able) ... Wilson will finish with just over 3,000 yards passing. Hasselbeck had 3,459 back in 2005. Just throwing that out there ...

Atradees

Reaction score
OK Then. This year Mannings Records, next year Elways, then all of Brady's!!!!

He is doin great for a rook.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Good stuff. That would amazing if he broke Mannings record. Hopefully we see a few 3 TD's performances over the next 6 weeks, Otherwise he'll have to have 2 TD's for each game to break it. I love the consistency he's shown.

The offense has apparently made a breakthrough the last 3 weeks. I'm excited to see how they do these next 2 road games. Hopefully we can make those couple of plays we've been missing early in the season and get these wins on the road.

kearly

Reaction score
Good points Hawkscanner. Especially the one about 2005 Hasselbeck.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I just got through doing some quick research on Russell Wilson. Check out how his season is stacking up thus far among some of the All Time Best seasons by a Rookie QB. Here are just a few names that I came up with and how Wilson compares (sorted by number of TD's) ...

Best Seasons by a Rookie QB All Time …

Peyton Manning (1998) – 325/575 (56.7 Comp%) … 3,739 Yards … 26 TD’s … 28 INT’s.

Cam Newton (2011) – 310/517 (60.0 Comp%) … 4,051 Yards … 21 TD’s … 17 INT’s.

Dan Marino (1983) – 173/296 (58.4 Comp%) … 2,210 Yards … 20 TD’s … 6 INT’s.

Andy Dalton (2011) – 300/516 (58.1 Comp%) … 3,398 Yards … 20 TD’s … 13 INT’s.

Sam Bradford (2010) – 354/590 (60.0 Comp%) … 3,512 Yards … 18 TD’s … 15 INT’s.

Tom Brady (2001)* -- 264/413 (63.9 Comp%) ... 2,843 Yards ... 18 TD's ... 12 INT's.

Ben Roethlisberger (2004) – 196/295 (66.4 Comp%) … 2,621 Yards … 17 TD’s … 11 INT’s.

Matt Ryan (2008) – 265/434 (61.1 Comp%) … 3,440 Yards … 16 TD’s … 11 INT’s.

Joe Montana (1980)* -- 176/273 (64.5 Comp%) … 1,795 Yards … 15 TD’s … 9 INT’s.

Russell Wilson (2012) – 157/253 (62.1 Comp%) … 1,827 Yards … 15 TD’s … 8 INT’s.

Joe Flacco (2008) – 257/428 (60.0 Comp%) … 2,971 Yards … 14 TD’s … 12 INT’s.

Rick Mirer (1993) – 274/486 (56.4 Comp%) … 2,833 Yards … 12 TD’s … 17 INT’s.

Charlie Batch (1998) – 173/303 (57.1 Comp%) … 2,178 Yards … 11 TD’s … 6 INT’s.

Andrew Luck (2012) -- 208/362 (57.5 Comp%) ... 2,631 Yards ... 10 TD's ... 9 INT's.

Troy Aikman (1989) -- 155/293 (52.9 Comp%) ... 1,749 Yards ... 9 TD's ... 18 INT's

Robert Griffin III (2012) -- 172/262 (65.6 Comp%) ... 1,993 Yards ... 8 TD's ... 3 INT's.

John Elway (1983) – 123/259 (47.5 Comp%) … 1,663 Yards … 7 TD’s … 14 INT’s

*Montana started 1 game in 1979, so while he wasn’t technically a rookie, 1980 was his first season as a starter. Same thing goes for Tom Brady, as he started 1 game in 2000.

... And we've still got 6 games to go people.

hawker84

Reaction score
that's awsome... what a draft pick... listening to mike and mike on the way into work, they were talking about special QB's as apposed to game managers... they listed Big Ben, Brady, Manning as special players who could still win games win things aren't clicking on offense.. game managers like , Dilfer, or cutler, or falco has to have the offense clicking to be successful.. anyways they went on to say the Luck and RG3 could become special QB's, they have the DNA, said nothing not even a whisper about RW... what a shocker i know... could be the best non special rookie in NFL history.. how bout that. i like mike and mike too , that was really disappointing. especially after we just whipped the sh*t out of his jets..

-The Glove-

Reaction score
It's crazy how similar his numbers are to Montana's at this point. I think we have something or rather someone special here, fellas.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
but but but, Tarvaris never got a chance! he coulda been the next Montana!!

Hamhawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":31lnzloy said:
but but but, Tarvaris never got a chance! he coulda been the next Montana!!
yeah, right,...TJ's rookie year in 2006,....played in 4 games,...started 2,...58% completions,...475 yards, 2 TD, 4 Int,...

Bipolar

Reaction score
I think RW stats are a little decieving because so much damage is done on trick plays and play action passes.

this is not necesserily a bad thing, its just different from "leading the team into victory", like Andrew Luck does.

what I think is truly remarkable about RW though, is his arm strength, accuracy, mobility and lack of typical rookie interception galore.

just based on that alone, he is definitely in the hunt for rookie of the year.

Nunya

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3c3fbztb said:
And just a little aside here -- the year that we went to the Super Bowl ... Matt Hasselbeck had 24 TD's to only 9 INT. If Wilson averages a mere 200 yards passing/game (and given the opponents we have coming up I believe that's quite do-able) ... Wilson will finish with just over 3,000 yards passing. Hasselbeck had 3,459 back in 2005. Just throwing that out there ...

Not meaning to take any accomplishments away from Wilson, who I think is doing a great job, but comparing him to Hasselbeck TD #s in 2005 is kind of skewed.

For instance, Alexander had 27 TDs in 2005. Lynch only has 5 this season. In a lot of drives, Hasselbeck was able to get the team close to the goal line and SA punched it in. Had the 2005 Seahawks relied on MH to score instead, if would stand to reason that MH's TD numbers would have been much higher (in theory).

Comparing stats is fun and can paint a picture, however, stats rarely tell the complete story.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Scaner, that list is very telling. I would like you to add RG3 and Luck just for compairisons. Nice work brother.

ivotuk

Reaction score
In his first 2 years, 2004 and 2005 Ben Rapistberger averages about 190 yards per game. That was enough to win several playoff games.

The formula? A great defense plus a running game wins Championships. Of course it helps if you are losing to the Bengals and your D lineman takes out the QBs knee then the refs get you home.

But Pete's plan is working very well and it's all coming together. I expect us to make the playoffs and go deep in them. The only team that worries me right now are the Texans. Everyone else is beatable due to poor talent level or injuries.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Bipolar":g2ipzsbo said:
I think RW stats are a little decieving because so much damage is done on trick plays and play action passes.

this is not necesserily a bad thing, its just different from "leading the team into victory", like Andrew Luck does.

what I think is truly remarkable about RW though, is his arm strength, accuracy, mobility and lack of typical rookie interception galore.

Plays are plays and must be executed. As long as it is a legal play it counts just like any other play. There is no difference. Executing the play that is called IS leading your team. Game managers execute only to the extent that they get the ball to the play makers. RW clearly goes beyond that. Nothing deceiving about that.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Sprfunk":xw8ybtuz said:
Scaner, that list is very telling. I would like you to add RG3 and Luck just for compairisons. Nice work brother.

Done and updated.

v1rotv2":xw8ybtuz said:
Bipolar":xw8ybtuz said:

Plays are plays and must be executed. As long as it is a legal play it counts just like any other play. There is no difference. Executing the play that is called IS leading your team. Game managers execute only to the extent that they get the ball to the play makers. RW clearly goes beyond that. Nothing deceiving about that.

I was listening to a little bit of Mike and Mike coming in this morning. They replayed some of Trent Dilfer's comments about what he felt an elite QB was -- in essence, one who can go beyond the X's and O's and when things don't go right ... can still put up numbers and beat you. From what I've seen, Russell Wilson absolutely has that.

Nunya":xw8ybtuz said:
Hawkscanner":xw8ybtuz said:

Not meaning to take any accomplishments away from Wilson, who I think is doing a great job, but comparing him to Hasselbeck TD #s in 2005 is kind of skewed.

For instance, Alexander had 27 TDs in 2005. Lynch only has 5 this season. In a lot of drives, Hasselbeck was able to get the team close to the goal line and SA punched it in. Had the 2005 Seahawks relied on MH to score instead, if would stand to reason that MH's TD numbers would have been much higher (in theory).

Comparing stats is fun and can paint a picture, however, stats rarely tell the complete story.

MEH. Okay. I'll agree with that to a point. But at the same time, we could also argue that that 2005 Seahawks defense was nowhere NEAR the caliber of this group. Point being, that this group has shown that it CAN score points and is getting much better week by week. They are most definitely a playoff caliber team and (who knows) perhaps more than that. As I'd predicted, Wilson struggled with the Jets 4-6 Defense ... but by the end, he seemed to be figuring them out. By the end of this year, I'm projecting that this Hawks Offense's numbers will be at least middle of the pack -- which, given where they started from, means that they will be fairly formidable.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1k2d1x0e said:
I don't know how many of you have really looked in depth at Wilson's stats ... but he is starting to amass some pretty impressive numbers actually. Consider this ...

For starters, Wilson has already basically surpassed in production what Tavaris Jackson did last season. Jackson had 14 TD's to go along with 13 INT's, 3,091 yards, a 60.2 Comp% ... and a QB Rating of 79.2. That's not what's impressive, actually.

What IS impressive is when you stop to consider that Wilson (in Game #10) already has 15 TD's. (Which leads all of the rookie QB's this season) Now for those who haven't done the math regarding the pace he is on, let me connect the dots for you ...

Over the past 5 Games (Since the Patriots Game), Russell Wilson has 10 TD passes and only 2 INT's. That frankly is a remarkable pace. So, he is averaging 2 TD passes ... to only .4 INT a game.

If he keeps up that pace, Wilson will finish the season with 27 TD passes ... and 10 INT.

Now I can hear some of you out there saying, OKAY ... that's a good season, but what's so remarkable about that?

Well ... 27 TD's IS a rather impressive ... when you stop to consider that Peyton Manning set the record for a Rookie QB back in 1998 -- with 26 TD's. When Manning broke that record ... it was a record that had stood for 50 years. So if he keeps up this pace, Wilson has a chance to tie or break Manning's rookie record.

This thread is mistitled. Wilson is on PACE to throw 24.6 TD's. He's not on pace to break the record. He's close enough that he COULD break it and I'm rooting for him to do so, but saying he's on PACE to break it isn't true. If he had 17 touchdowns he'd be on pace to tie it. If he had 18 touchdowns, he'd be on pace to break it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Nunya":2mtejmyt said:
Hawkscanner":2mtejmyt said:

OK, so let's compare Hass' rookie stats to RW's only eh?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1qh91qpc said:
Hawkscanner":1qh91qpc said:

This thread is mistitled. Wilson is on PACE to throw 24.6 TD's. He's not on pace to break the record. He's close enough that he COULD break it and I'm rooting for him to do so, but saying he's on PACE to break it isn't true. If he had 17 touchdowns he'd be on pace to tie it. If he had 18 touchdowns, he'd be on pace to break it.
With the improving offense, I think it's safe to say he's on pace to break it. The last 5 games, he has 10 TD's, so you're looking at 2 per game. With 6 games left, he could be at 27 by the end of the season.

Latest posts