Fast forward to 2013... Do we fully unleash Russell Wilson?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Or maybe even fast forward to the playoffs.....

Don't get me wrong, I am quite fine with scoring 28 points a game, and making the most out of our redzone possessions. But is there a point this year, or next year, where Bevell's just gonna let Russ go and throw it all over the place? He kinda did in the Pats game, but that was probably due to Lynch's ineffectiveness. When are we gonna fully unleash Russell Wilson? Because the only performance I've really failed to see from Russell is one with a lot of passing yards, and I'm very curious to see if he can do it.

Or is it likely this is the only thing Wilson can have success with, a ground and pound attack 24/7?

Greenhell

Reaction score
Let me say this, by 2013 Wilson will be the steal in fantasy football drafts as he'll be putting up lots of points.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I cannot see a time when this staff does not want a run centric balanced attack.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2jr6dtf2 said:
I cannot see a time when this staff does not want a run centric balanced attack.

This, but it should also be noted that if Wilson is the field general for a balanced attack that doesn't generate lots of passing opportunities - by design - that does not indicate that it's the only thing at which he can be successful.

I think we've seen more passing from Wilson in situations where the opponent is dedicated to taking Lynch away or when the Seahawks are down by more than one score. For example, consider the Detroit game. Outside of Lynch's 77-yard TD run, here are his runs in the first half:

-2, 1, 6, -3, -1, 2

It was clear (at least to me) that Detroit was focused primarily on stopping Lynch and our run game, and it showed in the numbers. Lynch's 77-yard run was great, but outside of that, we were barely getting 3 yards per carry. And so the coaches called Wilson's number more often, giving him 35 attempts. He completed over 70% of them at 6.7 YPA and had the Seahawks ahead late in the 4th quarter. While there's always room for improvement (the INT on the miscommunication with Rice was bad), that kind of performance on the road suggests to me that Wilson CAN be a guy who throws 40 times per game if the situation calls for it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Wilson will get more attempts next year, but I don't foresee a huge Aaron Rodgers like jump to 50 pass attempts a game. Balanced and focus, with an emphasis on clock management and TDs, will likely continue as our M.O. However, because I think the offense will be better next year, we might see Wilson's numbers go up as a side effect of the offense being on the field more often.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I think we're already unleashing him. The only reason his numbers were down in this game was because we were ahead big in the second half and were running the clock out. They've already shown they'll put it in his hands when it counts. And the called QB runs yesterday - for really the first time all year - I think are an indication that they're finally letting him loose to be somewhat of a threat to run. They've seen he stands in the pocket when he needs to, a huge improvement over the first of the year, and so it's time to let him do his thing.

Compare him these past few games with the first few games. Stark, stark contrast.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Agree with Seahawk Sailor here. I can see them "unleashing" him in the form of Wilson rushing more, and running that read option a bit more often.

Carroll, Bevel, and Cable all believe that you have to run the ball a lot. They want balance, but our pass game is based off of play action, and play action becomes deadly when your run game is as good as ours. Once our pass game becomes more established, teams will have to respect both; it will cause indecision in both phases against our offense.

Throw in some designed QB runs and read options, and it will be a very difficult offense to stop. I can see them tailoring it on a game by game basis, dictated by our opponent and schemes they run and weaknesses they show. I really like that Wilson doesn't take unnecessary hits. This will validate a read option a lot more than with an RG3, who takes too many hits for his frame. This could be really fun to watch next year, especially if we can increase our top end talent on the OL.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I agree with most here that he'll at times have more opportunities to throw but I can't see this team ever not being a run oriented offense.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I don't think we will see Aaron Rogers II any time soon. They like balance most of all. I expect to see improvements in the execution of the offenses fundamentals this in turn will include more liberty for RW to read and react with audibles.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I would rather stick around the 30 passes a game (give or take 5 or 6). I like balanced offenses. I also think Russell is one of those QB's who can get to where he is completing a lot closer to 70% of his throws than 60%. I just see a 23/24 for 300 yard game sometime for him. He's smart and he's accurate.

That throw yesterday where he slid sideways and threw a seed in a pretty tight window made me weak-kneed and slack-jawed. I just love this kid.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2nw4ih26 said:
Scottemojo":2nw4ih26 said:

This, but it should also be noted that if Wilson is the field general for a balanced attack that doesn't generate lots of passing opportunities - by design - that does not indicate that it's the only thing at which he can be successful.

I think we've seen more passing from Wilson in situations where the opponent is dedicated to taking Lynch away or when the Seahawks are down by more than one score. For example, consider the Detroit game. Outside of Lynch's 77-yard TD run, here are his runs in the first half:

-2, 1, 6, -3, -1, 2

It was clear (at least to me) that Detroit was focused primarily on stopping Lynch and our run game, and it showed in the numbers. Lynch's 77-yard run was great, but outside of that, we were barely getting 3 yards per carry. And so the coaches called Wilson's number more often, giving him 35 attempts. He completed over 70% of them at 6.7 YPA and had the Seahawks ahead late in the 4th quarter. While there's always room for improvement (the INT on the miscommunication with Rice was bad), that kind of performance on the road suggests to me that Wilson CAN be a guy who throws 40 times per game if the situation calls for it.

that.

And the fact Bevell has been quick to dial up PA and trick passes says that RW is no longer just managing games. RW and the passing game is quickly becoming the weapon in Bevell's offense and it takes great discipline to remind ourselves we must continue to feed the ground game for balance.

seahawks08

Reaction score
The philosophy is built on run first offense, I see too many intangibles to ignore when you become a pass happy offense. One game that comes to mind is the NE game where Tom Brady threw for a ton of yards and still ended up losing the game. The other team that comes to mind who are pass happy are the Detroit Lions. Last year, they scored so many points and still was not able to sustain when it came to the end. I would argue if their RB Jahvid Best was healthy, they could have been unbeatable in the playoffs. The point is defense can take out your 1, 2 WRs and your game becomes one dimensional and then nothing works. I can think of a few other reasons

Clock management
If you don't set up the run first and the RB does not get enough touches, he almost never can get the yards later on
Wearing down the defense
Weather becomes less of a factor
Its easier for a backup QB to come in if required if a strong running game is established early
Keeping the opposing QB not being on the field
Chances of losing the ball on the air is higher than losing it on the ground

For the long haul, I always feel a good ground game should be the focus and the passing game should compliment the ground game.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Our defense wont allow RW to throw 30+ passes a game. It is unlikely we will ever be behind in a game unless the offense completely craps the bed. Even when our D isn't playing too well, they have a knack to limit offenses to field goals. With the emphasis Pete puts on the running game, even if not working, he is going to stick with it throughout the game. He will most likely continue to throw more TDs in games, but I can see him consistently in the 200-250 yard range for the next few seasons.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Starrman44":wsq1pgyq said:
I would rather stick around the 30 passes a game (give or take 5 or 6). I like balanced offenses. I also think Russell is one of those QB's who can get to where he is completing a lot closer to 70% of his throws than 60%. I just see a 23/24 for 300 yard game sometime for him. He's smart and he's accurate.

That throw yesterday where he slid sideways and threw a seed in a pretty tight window made me weak-kneed and slack-jawed. I just love this kid.
You got that right, because once Wilson has the O-line clicking, the sky's the limit.
A ballanced attack, more running in some games, and more passing in others will happen, but Pete loves ball control, so I see him using the run first approach, (Chuck Knox) which is hard to argue against.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Wilson is fully unleashed right now. He's providing scoring on an incredibly efficient basis. His TD per pass attempt rate is one of the higher marks in the league.

Wilson is a natural born point guard at QB. Part of that profile means that he exists to makes his teammates (read: running game) better. Those kinds of QBs aren't about stealing the show and posting 500 yard games. If you take that kind of QB out of a run centric environment, he typically suffers. We saw this with UW in September when Keith Price suffered from the slow start of Bishop Sankey.

That plus Pete Carroll does not care about yards or even scoring- all he cares about is winning. To him, a 3-0 win is just as good as a 63-0 win. He wants to control the game, because if the Seahawks control the game on both sides of the ball they usually win. Wilson is providing value by being consistent and keeping the offense under control. It would be a disservice to call him a game manager, because game managers typically aren't playmakers and Wilson is a playmaker, but it is a similar situation in that Wilson's real role is to be the manager of the offense.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":3emipa4c said:
I think Wilson is fully unleashed right now. He's providing scoring on an incredibly efficient basis. His TD per pass attempt rate is one of the higher marks in the league.

Wilson is a natural born point guard at QB. Part of that profile means that he exists to makes his teammates (read: running game) better. Those kinds of QBs aren't about stealing the show and posting 500 yard games. If you take that kind of QB out of a run centric environment, he typically suffers. We saw this with UW in September when Keith Price suffered from the slow start of Bishop Sankey.

That plus Pete Carroll does not care about yards or even scoring- all he cares about is winning. To him, a 3-0 win is just as good as a 63-0 win. He wants to control the game, because if the Seahawks control the game on both sides of the ball they usually win. Wilson is providing value by being consistent and keeping the offense under control. It would be a disservice to call him a game manager, because game managers typically aren't playmakers and Wilson is a playmaker, but it is a similar situation in that Wilson's real role is to be the manager of the offense.

We need a new word for what Wilson is. Something like chessmaster or Grand Vizier.

madbohem

Reaction score
i don't think he is "unleashed" yet

I think the team as a whole knows Wilson better. By this I mean the team is getting better at playing together. I also think there is more going into the game plans every week. The depth and breadth of what Wilson can do at the line of scrimmage is part of what is going to grow.

Put it this way. Musicians can play a song on request, but it takes a while for them to get together and really jam and make their own interesting music.

I do think we are approaching the second half of the season with far more at Wilson's disposal then when the season starts. For me, I am really interested in those second looks coming up against the Rams, Cardinals, and 49ers. In many ways this will give a hint of what we might see in 2013 and the playoffs. I think a second look at teams will be huge for how Wilson studies the game. I am sure there are plenty of things the Seahawk's will draw upon from their own very real physical previous involvement in playing these teams that will illuminate how to tackle these teams a second time.

2013 will be interesting because it represents a year when the QB decision is behind the team. Carrol hasn't had that yet with the Hawks. What that means at the QB position, or the entire offensive playbook and what this team can plan for all off season before the week one next year.... I think this will have a dramatic impact to who the Hawks are on offense.

suppaball

Reaction score
I can see Pete going to a more of a Chip Kelly style after everything is gelling on O

Latest posts