Can we stop complaining about the WR's?

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't understand why the WR's are still getting blamed for not being good enough for us to have a legitimate passing offense. I mean, think about it...

There aren't THAT many teams that have a better #1 WR than Rice.

There aren't many teams at all that have a better #2 than Tate.

There are very few teams that have a better #3 than Baldwin.

Almost nobody has a better #4 than Edwards.

Not many drops as a group, and they can all make plays. The depth behind these guys is pretty awful, but as a group, is it outlandish to say that they are at the minimum top-10 league wide?

BlueOne

Reaction score
Yes, it is that big of a stretch. Off the top of my head the better pass catching teams in the NFC alone are, (in no order) Tampa, Saints, Falcons, Giants, Cowboys, Cardinals, Packers, Lions. The Eagles probably have a strong argument too. The Seahawks WRs have had a good couple weeks since the 9ers game that said only Rice is consistent. Baldwin was nails last year but hasn't done anything this year, Edwards has two catches I can remember this entire season, and I have no idea how we have managed to get so little TE production the last two years. Tate... I don't trust Tate yet. He's obviously a playmaker but I just don't see the consistency yet. The last couple games have been good and MAYBE he has turned the corner but he better keep it up for at least the rest of the season before I believe it. And really, teams don't have number 4s as good as Braylon? Dude was in for one play today, got a false start, and went back out.

Twisted

Reaction score
no real speed, without that defenders can scheme easier, they can buffer in the open and time their coverages, if those doors are always going to be closed linebackers can focus on bottling up the line

with true speed defenders cant buffer and time coverages because receivers will start the route at a medium speed and when defenders move in to cover BLAMMO receivers hit the afterburners and with a decently thrown ball its 6.. there is no way to cover man like that and in most cases no way to even interfere as they can't make up that distance quick enough to touch the receiver unless the ball is under thrown, QBs are taught to over throw in those scenarios.

if defenders can never match speed the only way to cover them is with multiple zone taking linebackers out of the run game which opens it up for ball carriers.. if you have 2 world class speedsters that can catch regularly lynch has 180 yard games every Sunday, the seahawks would be almost unbeatable at that point, they really do have some skill just one speedster would be the final nail IMO..

plus seahawk receivers drop way too many well placed balls to be considered elite or legitimate, perhaps if they cinch that up they may be at seasons end?

652cHAWK

Reaction score
I'd like to see a stat that shows our group of receivers at home vs. on the road. We seem to suffer the dropsies, drop off in performance, more on the latter. The game in Detroit is the only road game I can really peg the loss mostly on the D.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Our current corps is doing better than I expected they would, but we could still use more speed, size, and consistent route-running.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":318yi6y4 said:
Twisted":318yi6y4 said:
plus seahawk receivers drop way too many well placed balls to be considered elite or legitimate, perhaps if they cinch that up they may be at seasons end?
League stats don't support your assumption/perception of the Hawks receivers being afflicted by the drop-sies.

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

You just can't use raw stats with our passing game. If you go to the drop-down box, you can look at the %caught (passes caught/targets) and you don't see any Seahawks in the top 20. Matter of fact, there are some guys who appear to have several drops, but still have better %caught than any of our guys.

12thMan1

Reaction score
I don't think people are complaining as much as they were towards the begining of the season. The main complaint as I recall was that they were not getting enough separation. That problem seems to be remedied better each and every week. It also helps that Wilson is trusting them more to come up with the ball when he puts it up.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I am not complaining about the WR's. However, I am finally to the point where I do not think all our guys are the best thing since sliced bread and if the FO thinks they can find a better WR in the draft or FA, then I am fine cutting pretty much ANY of the current crop of receivers.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":17ttu8s7 said:
onanygivensunday":17ttu8s7 said:
Twisted":17ttu8s7 said:
League stats don't support your assumption/perception of the Hawks receivers being afflicted by the drop-sies.

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

You just can't use raw stats with our passing game. If you go to the drop-down box, you can look at the %caught (passes caught/targets) and you don't see any Seahawks in the top 20. Matter of fact, there are some guys who appear to have several drops, but still have better %caught than any of our guys.

Good point LoneHawkFan. That is actually a very good point, yes.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
They have been playing better for sure. It has been good to see. I still do not think that as a whole they are anything special, but they no longer look like a bottom 5 unit to me. They need a true burner to stretch the field at times. A guy like Lockette.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
BlueOne":12j78zsm said:
Yes, it is that big of a stretch. Off the top of my head the better pass catching teams in the NFC alone are, (in no order) Tampa, Saints, Falcons, Giants, Cowboys, Cardinals, Packers, Lions. The Eagles probably have a strong argument too. The Seahawks WRs have had a good couple weeks since the 9ers game that said only Rice is consistent. Baldwin was nails last year but hasn't done anything this year, Edwards has two catches I can remember this entire season, and I have no idea how we have managed to get so little TE production the last two years. Tate... I don't trust Tate yet. He's obviously a playmaker but I just don't see the consistency yet. The last couple games have been good and MAYBE he has turned the corner but he better keep it up for at least the rest of the season before I believe it. And really, teams don't have number 4s as good as Braylon? Dude was in for one play today, got a false start, and went back out.
I had most of those teams on my list as well. The exceptions were the Cowboys and Saints. I had ours as better. Now, go ahead and jump over to the AFC and come up with three more. Best of luck.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Tical21":29ra9x4w said:
BlueOne":29ra9x4w said:
I had most of those teams on my list as well. The exceptions were the Cowboys and Saints. I had ours as better. Now, go ahead and jump over to the AFC and come up with three more. Best of luck.

Bengals, Patriots, Texans, Broncos all have more dangerous pass-catchers than we do. IMO.

It's really hard to make this comparison because we don't pass the ball all that much. Rice has done a good job of getting behind defenses recently, and has the TDs to show for it, but he still only catches a few passes a game. Same goes for Tate. It's hard to know what these guys would look like in an offense that threw the ball more. Guys like AJ Green, Andre Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, all of the Patriots... and if you throw in tight ends like Gresham and Daniels (and I generally consider receivers as a whole, not just wideouts) I don't think there's any comparison at least on the basis of production. That very easily could be because of how run-heavy our offense is in general - you can't come up with 100 yards that often when your passing attack only puts up 200 a game, and you can't put up more than 200 yds/game passing when you're only throwing it 15-20 times on average.

As for Doug Baldwin, he's been fine this year, and better the last week or two, but he hasn't been anything special most of the year (granted he has been injured and might be on track for a much better finish). Is he better the last few weeks because RW is so much better on third downs than he was to start the year? I don't know. Hard to say.

But unless you believe that all of these sacks are because a) the OL is terrible or b) the QB can't find open receivers, then some part of it is likely that c) guys are having difficulty getting open. B) doesn't seem to happen that much to RW (though he isn't perfect), so I'm inclined to believe that it's a combination of a and c.

Edit: And I'm not sure you can draw any inferences about Braylon Edwards. He has done basically nothing all year - 8 catches for 74 yards and 1 td. That's impressing nobody, even for a 4th wideout.

hawker84

Reaction score
i actually prefer we don't have marquee wide recievers. seems like this team is not about individuals it's about team.. even marshawn who is arguably our most popular player doesn't portray the it's about me attitude... i love it .... i think they are as good as they need to be to get the job done.. and everybody wants burners on the outside, which is great when you have it, but as you can see you don't need it... we've got to be in the top ten in TD's over 25-30 yards , i could be wrong, but we seem to be beating teams deep week after week. and if you think G tate doesn't have speed i would assume you'd be mistaken.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
It's interesting that we don't have a WR in the top 40 in receptions yet two (Tate, Rice) are in the top 10 in td's. The more the offense score's points the less I worry about this group and they are doing a good job right now.

mikeak

Reaction score
Don't forget that stats don't tell the story if drops. There are the straight in in tighter coverage / where the WR turns his head to get yards after the catch.

The other kind is the inexcusable rain-drop pass into the hands.....

Latest posts