Why RW should break the rookie record for TD passes

hawksfan515

Reaction score
First of all, Peyton Manning holds the record for rookie TD passes with 26.... And I think RW will either tie it or break it. He has 11 TD's to go in 6 games, so he'd have to average 2 TD passes per game to break it, and by the looks of his stats, that's what he's been doing lately.

Wasn't it Tom Cable who said "You run to win, but throw to score"?

Well so far, that saying has been proven true in the Seahawks offense, with Lynch running for only 5 TD's this year, while Wilson has passed for 15. But, Lynch has run for 1005 yards this season while Wilson has only passed for 1700 something, and for anyone who knows football, those numbers should be much more lopsided in the passes favor.

But this only confirms something we already know. This team runs to win, get down the field, preserve leads and such, but throws the ball to score, and if this trend continues, Wilson shall also continue to rack up all those TD passes and break the rookie record.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Interesting observation. Not sure if it will hold true the rest of the season, but I can see how it's working for the Seahawks right now.

HansGruber

Reaction score
The kid is special, man. And for all the talk about Brees, he actually reminds me most of Elway. Cool, calm, dangerous to the last minute. He won't get OROY, though. That already belongs to Andrew Luck.

Mase

Reaction score
-- The Andrew Luck thing is a good point, but maybe when the Colts finish 6th in the AFC and go into Denver to play the 3rd seeded Denver Mannings, those three picks he throws will back off some of the hype he is getting right now..... Whoops, wait, I wasn't supposed to mention that was the plan for the playoffs. My bad.

Luck really does look like a great young player, but supposedly numbers and results matter, and if Wilson sets and gets, as in sets a TD record, and gets his team into the playoffs, he really is a more honest candidate. Geez, it's like you guys think there's an eastern bias or something.

Mase

olyfan63

Reaction score
HansGruber":34y288j5 said:
The kid is special, man. And for all the talk about Brees, he actually reminds me most of Elway. Cool, calm, dangerous to the last minute. He won't get OROY, though. That already belongs to Andrew Luck.

I see Steve Young. With a hint of Warren Moon.

And Elway had a very rough rookie season as I recall.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
olyfan63":3df8285r said:
As did Manning.

With those 26 TD passes, he also threw 28 INTs.

HansGruber

Reaction score
olyfan63":m2c8h8xd said:
I see Steve Young. With a hint of Warren Moon.

Yeah, Elway wasn't as good as a rookie as Wilson has been.

It's funny, I was looking at Elway's stats and was struck by his poor QB rating and relatively low passing yards (compared to modern NFL) throughout his career. He only had one season where his passer rating was above 90 (92.7 in 1993), and averaged about 3000 yards a season. Statistically, he was pretty average, which just goes to show how misleading stats can be. Anyway...

I totally agree on Steve Young. Like Young, Wilson has that ability to scramble all over the field, keep the play alive until he can find the open receiver, and also pick up those first downs with his legs when needed. NFL Films always shows clips of Young's long runs when talking about his scrambling ability, but he wasn't a Cunningham/Vick/Newton type scrambler (i.e. runner). He just had that way of evading pressure and keeping the play alive by scrambling all over until he could find an open receiver. Definitely see a lot of that in Wilson.