Random Thoughts™ on the Jets game

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Random Thoughts™ on the Jets game
Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:20 pm
  • First of all, screw you Jeff Fisher. A delay of game on the game winning FG? The clock management at the end of that game is quite possibly the worst I have ever seen. Go figure that you coach your best game against us and your worst against SF.

On the bright side, Seattle was very likely to lose the tiebreaker with SF anyway (we already have 3 division losses and can't get a series sweep). But now that SF has tied, a tiebreaker will not come into play unless either Seattle or SF has an additional tie (and not against each other) in the final 6 weeks, and tie games are extremely rare. The math is pretty simple, if Seattle wins out, and SF loses one game besides Seattle, the Seahawks are division champions. The 49ers still have to play the red hot Saints, the Bears, and the Patriots. The Seahawks have to play the Bears on the road. Even though it bothers me that the Rams pissed away a huge win for us, the reality is that a tie has a very good chance to be just as good. It is starting to look like maybe Seattle has a solid chance at the division after all.

As far as the defense went:

The Seahawks defense pitched a stealth shutout, masked by a defensive touchdown in the first half.

Irvin had another pair of sacks. He's now tied with Clemons for the team lead (7).

Mike Morgan did better in this game. The only times I noticed him were for positive reasons.

Richard Sherman had a great game, and shows promise as a DB blitzer.

Our run defense played well statistically, but I felt a bit underwhelmed. They faced a very ordinary rush offense and allowed too many runs of 5+ for my liking.

As far as the offense went:

When I scouted Wilson, one of the many things that got me geeked about his NFL future was his consistency game to game. Well, we're starting to see that consistency with Wilson, who now has 10 TDs in his last 5 games. It would be more if not for a drop-fest at the bay last month.

Golden Tate is having a very nice season, adding to that today with a tough TD catch on a bomb, a broken tackle to prevent a punting situation, and the most awkward looking trick TD pass I've seen in the pros. I always thought Tate was a little "different" and unique, but after seeing that TD pass I know why. He's left handed.

I'm not really worried about the fumbles- turnovers can happen on any play and this season they have happened in bunches.

The first half felt like the New York Jets visiting the Seattle Jets. The second half felt like the Seattle Seahawks visiting the Kansas City Chiefs in the preseason.

I loved the resilience from Lynch. He gained almost half his yards in the 4th quarter after averaging 3 yards per carry the rest of the game. I thought the Jets run defense had done a good job but they just unravelled in the 4th quarter.

I must assume that New York still has talent in that secondary post-Revis. It was kind of ridiculous how long Wilson held the ball looking for targets.

Misc. thoughts:

I wasn't one of them, but many people cited their interest in Russell Wilson because he had the "it factor." I just liked Wilson because he scored off the charts overall and I didn't see evidence of his height hurting him. But I totally get the "it factor" comments. Calm, consistent, resilient traits are forms of talent. As is leadership. Watching Mark Sanchez, I don't know if there is a QB in the NFL who highlights the value of the "it factor" more than he does- due to so sorely lacking it. He's mobile, he's got a quick enough release, and can be at times accurate, and he's not a dummy, but he lacks confidence and resilience and in a game like this it really shows. Our pass rush gave him too much time too often, but he couldn't make our defense pay for it the same way Rodgers, Brady, Stafford or even Romo could.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Jets game
Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:22 pm
  • Regarding the first paragraph: When yo'uve seen Carroll and Bevell time management, thats saying something!!

Wilson had a few rookie moments in the first half trying to get too cute avoiding the rush but overall another very solid game out of him.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:23 pm
  • Thanks Kearly!
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:34 pm
  • It' s about time they showed a corner blitz...
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:35 pm
  • Well done again kearly.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:45 pm
  • Yep, excellent work as always Kearly.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:46 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Regarding the first paragraph: When yo'uve seen Carroll and Bevell time management, thats saying something!!

Wilson had a few rookie moments in the first half trying to get too cute avoiding the rush but overall another very solid game out of him.

The only thing that p*$$ed me off about Wilson?, was that the Referees didn't call the blatant face mask tackle by the Jets defender, because it would have, and SHOULD have been a first down for the 'Hawks'.
    Saw two uncalled face masks by the Jets today.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:46 pm
  • Not trying to hijack this thread, but, and I may be completely wrong. Others have posted that we play "down" to the other teams level. My question or comment is, it seems to me like we drag other teams kicking and screaming into "our" kind of game. Defensively, we just try to beat the snot out of every offensive player on the other team, and offensively, we just keep punching away until they relent.

Not pretty, but effective. We really work at making the other team feel like they brought a penknife to a gunfight.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:47 pm
  • you know its good when kearly does these RIGHT after the game!!! lol!!! I love these
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:52 pm
  • good read

FlyingGreg wrote:It' s about time they showed a corner blitz...

It wasnt called that way , Sherman took it upon himself to blitz. His guy to cover was an eligible tackle , so he decided to blitz.. thats what he said on .com
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:56 pm
  • I'm willing to let Fisher off a little given he went for it on 4th down twice on a fake punt - and completed both passes for big gains. Hey - one of those attempts came when the punter was in his own end zone under a little pressure. That's some coaching there. And I think he just didn't want to ice his own kicker at the end. After all, they were something like 0.01 seconds away from getting that off on time. If he calls the time out with three seconds to go and then he misses, he gets grief anyway. He took a chance on them executing and it backfired. I'm more bothered that the ref's actually called it - very ticky tacky.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:02 pm
  • Good posts. I am glad to see both Miller and Baldwin getting more looks and making the most of them. This is getting to be a difficult team to defend against.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:06 pm
  • The other thing about the Lambs/Whiner game to keep in mind is that Akers who is usually automatic inside 50 missed a 41 yarder that would've given SF the win long before StL. had their chance to win.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:10 pm
  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:good read

It wasnt called that way , Sherman took it upon himself to blitz. His guy to cover was an eligible tackle , so he decided to blitz.. thats what he said on .com

And...it was still a corner blitz. Could care less what the "call" was.

It's something new. We have big, physical corners....need to get more creative with our looks.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:24 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    EastCoastHawksFan wrote:good read

And...it was still a corner blitz. Could care less what the "call" was.

It's something new. We have big, physical corners....need to get more creative with our looks.

and... he was just pointing it out. Some people do care what the call was
    Thanks for pointing that out EastCoastHawksFan, I didn't hear that. Awesome to know Sherman took that upon himself to blitz on that play. Sure looked like it was designed
    Hawkaholic
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:30 pm
  • How about the return of Jason Jones?
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:36 pm
  • Hawkaholic wrote:and... he was just pointing it out. Some people do care what the call was
    Thanks for pointing that out EastCoastHawksFan, I didn't hear that. Awesome to know Sherman took that upon himself to blitz on that play. Sure looked like it was designed

and....you need to keep reading through the whole post. What's up with the sensitivity on this board lately?

My original point was about the fact we showed something different, which I like. I'd like to see more of it.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:37 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:It' s about time they showed a corner blitz...

Great point Master Chief.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:38 pm
  • Yeah, we gotta sign JJ, I'm thinkin'.

Wow this was up quick tonight Kearly (might even be a record), never seems like the game experience is complete until reading your synopsis. Thanks as always!
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:45 pm
  • It's starting to build to an amazing level how diverse and varying the looks we're showing on the field are getting....on both sides of the ball. Other teams coordinators are just gonna be pulling their hair out trying to predict what we're gonna do. Just when you start trying to figure out how to cover whether Wilson is going to throw or run or even pass it off to Sydney........then suddenly the ball goes to Tate for a touchdown. And then on D the same thing throwing corner blitzes into the ever more complex mix. Never really thought of Sherman doing that. Hope Bradley starts adding that in more in the future.

Exciting, just exciting stuff!
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:47 pm
  • gargantual wrote:Yeah, we gotta sign JJ, I'm thinkin'.

Wow this was up quick tonight Kearly (might even be a record), never seems like the game experience is complete until reading your synopsis. Thanks as always!

Kip actually wrote it before the game.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:57 pm
  • Oh crap Scott's on to me.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:00 pm
  • Scott's just braggin cause he was at the game.

:th2thumbs:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:09 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    gargantual wrote:Yeah, we gotta sign JJ, I'm thinkin'.

Funny how after all the buildup this week nationally about how one-sided this game was going to be....it didn't feel like a blowout while watching the game, at least until the last quarter
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:13 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:

...........but in retrospect I guess he COULD'VE written it before hand :lol:
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:21 pm
  • gargantual wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:

Funny how after all the buildup this week nationally about how one-sided this game was going to be....it didn't feel like a blowout while watching the game, at least until the last quarter

Yeah, it was 14-7 for the LOOOONGEST time... Without the Sherman pick, possibly a much closer game at the end. It didn't feel one sided, and the Jets do have a pretty good D. The productive running game in the 4th quarter was the payoff for sticking with running the football the whole game until wearing down the Jets D.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:50 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:The productive running game in the 4th quarter was the payoff for sticking with running the football the whole game until wearing down the Jets D.

I totally LOVE how we've been able to pound it out and eat the clock to finish the past two games. That's a sign of a team in control and imposing its will, even if it does take a while to get into gear.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Regarding the first paragraph: When yo'uve seen Carroll and Bevell time management, thats saying something!!

Seahawks fans have seemingly always bitched about clock management- save some of the best Holmgren years. I think our clock management is okay when you consider that the entire philosophy of this team is about burning the clock not saving it. Our offense is at it's best when it's playing a 4 minute offense with a balanced attack. Despite that, Seattle has had a decent number of scores this season near the end of halves, and that's not counting times when Seattle had the ball in fieldgoal range but kneeled down to end the game. I definitely wouldn't characterize our time management that negatively, context considered.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:36 am
  • From a hawk fan abroad, I really do enjoy thse write ups, and always look for it first the day after our games...keep it up sir

As for the game, watched it all on line. First half O-line struggled, Jets brough different looks, and Wislon made a few errors like trying to extend dead plays, or not throwing it away.

2nd half we made some adjustments, started to wear the jets D down, and eventually they folded. All in all a very good balanced game from the hawks. Next 2 games are huge though, away from home, 2 good defences, this will determine (in my opinion) our play off chances, and how much we have grown these past few weeks.
    glasgow seahawks
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:01 am
  • kearly wrote: But now that SF has tied, a tiebreaker will not come into play unless either Seattle or SF has an additional tie (and not against each other)

I don't quite get this. Yeah, I get if Seattle ties a tie breaker can happen. But if SF tied again? 2 ties do not add up to a win. 12-4 is still better than 11-3-2.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:03 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    Hawkaholic wrote:and... he was just pointing it out. Some people do care what the call was

and....you need to keep reading through the whole post. What's up with the sensitivity on this board lately?

My original point was about the fact we showed something different, which I like. I'd like to see more of it.

Hopefully Sherman opened up Gus's eyes to something new that we could utilize more often in our blitz schemes. I've wondered why they haven't used Browner and Sherman blitzes especially in nickel and/or dime packages.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:09 am
  • The Jets are one of the most inept offenses out there. The chance of one of their QB's reading Sherman or Browner about to blitz and changing the play to counteract it, are slim at best. Cheating a DB up to blitz off the edge against a Brady, a Manning brother, or a Rodgers, won't yield the same results we saw yesterday.

I'm sure Gus saw an opportunity with a high likelihood of success and went for it. Don't think we are suddenly going to be corner blitzing any time soon, especially against the Bears. We are more apt to see some interesting things involving ET than we are the DB's.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:27 am
  • Mike Morgan looked better prepared this time around. He gives up some mass and weight as a replacement for KJ Wright. But his change of direction and range certainly caught my eye.

I thought the Jets made a point of probing his skills early on. However Morgan, with the help of teamates, held up well. All is all a very positive outing.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:58 am
  • Jville wrote:Mike Morgan looked better prepared this time around. He gives up some mass and weight as a replacement for KJ Wright. But his change of direction and range certainly caught my eye.

I thought the Jets made a point of probing his skills early on. However Morgan, with the help of teamates, held up well. All is all a very positive outing.

I have to give Props to Coach Norton. Morgan was ready and the linebackers have looked pretty solid all year with a rookie and a 2nd year guy playing
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:00 pm
  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:good read

Brilliant. I love that sort of awareness -- knowing the guy lined up across from you isn't going to be a major downfield threat, so a decision is made to take a risk and get after the quarterback instead. Beautiful.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:09 pm
  • CaptainSkybeard wrote:I don't quite get this. Yeah, I get if Seattle ties a tie breaker can happen. But if SF tied again? 2 ties do not add up to a win. 12-4 is still better than 11-3-2.

In the rule book it references records not as wins/losses but as "winning percentage." 12-4 is the same winning percentage as 11-3-2, since a tie is counted as half a win. So 11-3-2 = 11 +.5 +.5 /16 = .750 = 12-4.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote: The productive running game in the 4th quarter was the payoff for sticking with running the football the whole game until wearing down the Jets D.

And that's kind of the whole point. Coaches almost all say, "We want to establish the run." But then, if they get stuffed a couple of times in the first quarter, all too many of them go pass happy for the rest of the game.

Coaches that are really dedicated to the run game will do like we did. Keep pounding it, even if it means a couple of extra 3 and outs and punts. Even if you don't rack up the yards in the first half, it still keeps the clock running, wears down the D, and tells your own players that we're going to do this. Then, late in the game, it tends to come together and the yards pile up. All the great RBs have done their best work in the 4th quarter, but only if the work was done early to allow it.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:17 pm
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:The Jets are one of the most inept offenses out there. The chance of one of their QB's reading Sherman or Browner about to blitz and changing the play to counteract it, are slim at best. Cheating a DB up to blitz off the edge against a Brady, a Manning brother, or a Rodgers, won't yield the same results we saw yesterday.

I'm sure Gus saw an opportunity with a high likelihood of success and went for it. Don't think we are suddenly going to be corner blitzing any time soon, especially against the Bears. We are more apt to see some interesting things involving ET than we are the DB's.

Gus Bradley didn't see anything. Sherman saw that they had a tackle lined up as a 3rd TE and he gambled that there'd be no chance they'd throw to him so he blitzed and left his man uncovered.

Great heads up play by UMB!
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:19 pm
  • Jville wrote:Mike Morgan looked better prepared this time around. He gives up some mass and weight as a replacement for KJ Wright. But his change of direction and range certainly caught my eye.

He made a tremendous stop on 4th and 1.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information