17 ppg and 12.4 ppg, an interesting stat.

BigMeach

Reaction score
17 points per away game, and 12.4 points per home game, stats you won't find on ESPN. These are the amount of points only our defense has given up, this is not including the special teams td the rams put up on us or the td our offense gave up today.

Now obviously there is a difference when we're away of 4.6 points, as well as there are some things our defense needs to get a lot better at (on the road especially). But from a pure statistical vantage, I would have to say that is really really good and I'm proud of those numbers.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I'd like to see the numbers for the offense as well. I'll bet they'll be a big jump as some of our best scoring games (Pats, Dallas, Jets) were at home.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1nutr672 said:
I'd like to see the numbers for the offense as well. I'll bet they'll be a big jump as some of our best scoring games (Pats, Dallas, Jets) were at home.

24.6 at home versus 15 ppg away.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":35if4wef said:
hawksfan515":35if4wef said:

24.6 at home versus 15 ppg away.

oh shiiittttt that's where the real story is honestly.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Like I mentioned in the top 10 offense thread, we are close to a top 10 defense at home, barely a top 20 one when on the road.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":ncd1r48d said:
Yep, away-game offense has to get better. It definitely improved against the Lions, and has a chance to improve against the dolphins, but don't sleep on that Phins D. They're decent, and have a stout run D, which means we'll need Wilson and the receivers to be on point coming of the bye.

This. Plus the away-game third down defense has to step up too. (See: Detroit, St. Louis)

Again I think it's two-fold. The offense HAS to do a better job of protecting the football on the road, all of RW's picks have come in road games for various reasons (drops, bad reads, etc). The defense HAS to be more consistent at getting pressure on the QB. Even if it doesn't result in a sack, a QB hurry is just as good and will create mistakes.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Team stats are so subjective though. They don't take into account things like where the defense started the series on the field and other factors they have no control over. I mean against STL Zuerlein beat us when he was in God Mode kicking 4 FGs, one of which was 60 yards and the other 58 I believe. Thats hardly what I call allowing the opposing offense into FG range.

Although the defense has slipped a bit as of late, they're still far and away dominating opposing teams offenses (minus a certain player in Minnesota).

JonRud

Reaction score
I think the Hawks should print a 50' WIDE TANZANIA sign and park it on their sideline during the next road game.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
How about first 5 games versus last 5? Kinda interesting too. Obvious the offense is scoring more:

17.2 first 5
22.4 last 5

But the defense is giving up more too:

14.0 first 5
18.2 last 5

And that's with 1 less road game in the last 5. So, just some more numbers fwiw.

zayden185

Reaction score
Blitzer88":13k343wr said:
Like I mentioned in the top 10 offense thread, we are close to a top 10 defense at home, barely a top 20 one when on the road.

I think the D is a reflection of offense on the road ( minus lions )

themunn

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2kjv6rc5 said:

how can we be close to top 10 at home, barely top 20 on the road... but rank 4th overall?
we're giving up 17ppg on the road... you know that'c still be good for 4th in the league? By some distance in fact, the Cardinals are 5th giving up 19.2 ppg
We're also the only team in the top 10 to have played 10 games so far and yet are STILL 4th in TOTAL points given up.

The difference is our point scoring average at home and away - we're scoring on average 24.6 points at home and conceding 12.4, which is essentially outscoring our opponents 2-1.
On the road we're averaging a 15-17 score.
Start scoring an extra TD consistently on the road and we're looking at around 22-17, do that and you'll see us win significantly more road games (in fact, if we'd scored an extra TD in every road game this season we'd be 9-1 (though we only lost the 49ers game by 7 points, I'd imagine they'd have accepted the safety penalty).

razor150

Reaction score
Outside of scoring the road, what the offense needs to working is moving the ball consistently. Especially on the road. Our offense is downright bad on the road causing the defense spends a lot of time of the field. Which is one of the big reasons it gives up more points on the road. Even the Lions game where for once the offense scored more then 20 points on the road it still disappeared for a huge chunk of the game.

OP
OP
BigMeach

BigMeach

Reaction score
I feel like the first away game we really started to get things rolling offensively was the lions game, I probably would be saying the 9ers had there not been so many drops that killed our momentum. This is something that has to be taken into account.