Russell Wilson- the silently elite QB

kearly

Reaction score
Game log

Wilson has started 10 games this season. Of those ten games, he posted passer ratings of 96 or better in six(!) of them. Only three times has he posted a passer rating well below the NFL median. Those three games were Arizona, St. Louis, and San Francisco.

Arizona was not a great game for Wilson, but it was also his very first game and in a very difficult situation.

The Rams game was actually a pretty decent game for Wilson, but his statistics were marred by three interceptions, all of which were unusual/fluke plays. It masked a performance where Wilson completed 68% of his passes.

The 49ers game was actually a great game for Wilson, but you'd never know it because of timely drops and tough breaks, including at least one dropped pass that might have been a touchdown. Wilson passed the eyeball test early on before the 49ers took the lead late and didn't look back.

So far, Wilson has had 6 fantastic games, 3 poor games, and 1 ordinary game (Carolina). And in all 3 of his poor games, Wilson was facing (at the time) a high ranked defense on the road and had tough breaks go against him that would have made a high passer rating almost impossible. In Arizona it was the non-existent pass protection. In St. Louis it was the bounce of the ball. In San Francisco it was drops. When Seattle has given Wilson decent protection, caught the ball, and avoided freaky turnovers, Wilson has very consistently played on an elite level.

A lot of people have talked about Seattle needed to prove themselves on the road. To that I'll just say this- stay out of Wilson's way and play respectable defense, and the road wins will take care of themselves.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
He's no Marcus Mariota, but he'll do for now. :twisted:

:sarcasm_off:

As ridiculous as it sounds I can imagine Wilson in the Hall of Fame one day.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
As far as kearly's post.. I wouldn't say Wilson is elite yet. He has a very solid completion percentage and TD/INT ratio (10 to 2 over the last five weeks) .. but he's been sub 200 yards in 7 of 10 starts. That's anything but elite. That's Alex Smith.

He's doing well though limiting mistakes and has shown marked improvement over his last five starts compared to his first five starts. But saying he's elite and Hall-of-Fame bound is extremely premature IMO.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I've supported RW and continue to support him. But RW did a terrible job protecting that football today. I think he ended up making it up with his other plays, but I don't like seeing him trying to do TOO much. I would have rather him take a short sack than try to scramble backwards (or fumble) trying to improvise too much.

That said, I love how resilient he was and his early mistakes did not get him down. The second half was much better for him.

SoCalHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":29gtmsgb said:
As far as kearly's post.. I wouldn't say Wilson is elite yet. He has a very solid completion percentage and TD/INT ratio (10 to 2 over the last five weeks) .. but he's been sub 200 yards in 7 of 10 starts. That's anything but elite. That's Alex Smith.

He's doing well though limiting mistakes and has shown marked improvement over his last five starts compared to his first five starts. But saying he's elite and Hall-of-Fame bound is extremely premature IMO.

So you would argue that he needs to defy the laws of statistics and put up YPA numbers greater than the best QBs to ever play the game?

The kid threw the ball less than 20 times today. He simply does not have the chance to put up great yardage numbers.

Atradees

Reaction score
I would say Wilson is developing a repertoire with his receivers. Tate, Rice, Baldwin and TE Miller. We are growing an offense.
Its really nice to see a good QB develope right now. Wilson is getting really good in the red zone. Our backup QBs Tate and Rice are good too!;)
This wr group may be all we really need. I never was on the "our wideouts suck" bandwagon. On the other hand, the Jets abused our offensive line today a bit.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SoCalHawk":1hw48y0c said:
So you would argue that he needs to defy the laws of statistics and put up YPA numbers greater than the best QBs to ever play the game?

The kid threw the ball less than 20 times today. He simply does not have the chance to put up great yardage numbers.

I'm saying right now he's closer to Alex Smith than Drew Brees.

That's not an insult, Smith took a team to the door step of a Super Bowl with the same type of roster that we have in place now.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3kbhjg1a said:

It's been said, but what is his YPA? You are punishing him for a lack of passing attempts, which is just lame. the guy just averaged almost ten yards per attempt, which is elite.

Ruminator

Reaction score
RW is a very determined rookie who is no one but RW. He may occasionally bear similarities to other past and current QBs, but he is carving out a unique identity that is RW only, and we are to sit and watch just how unique and special this is over the coming months and years.

Secondly, he would benefit greatly from a bolstered OL. This dearly needs to be the FO's number one priority.

TLD0550

Reaction score
Funny how week 10 this guy is the QBOTF , when just 3 weeks ago or so I believe .net was up in arms and calling for Flynn......who Is Flynn anyways does he play for us? GO HAWKS

Basis4day

Reaction score
Ruminator":17hxfnuv said:
RW is a very determined rookie who is no one but RW. He may occasionally bear similarities to other past and current QBs, but he is carving out a unique identity that is RW only, and we are to sit and watch just how unique and special this is over the coming months and years.

Well said.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
TLD0550":2nc1lxrx said:
Funny how week 10 this guy is the QBOTF , when just 3 weeks ago or so I believe .net was up in arms and calling for Flynn......who Is Flynn anyways does he play for us? GO HAWKS
You mean the guys calling for Flynn after every loss?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1n4r69wd said:
As ridiculous as it sounds I can imagine Wilson in the Hall of Fame one day.
:13:

He is going to bring us our first Super Bowl and be known as the best qb in franchise history.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2yssckg0 said:
Hasselbeck":2yssckg0 said:

It's been said, but what is his YPA? You are punishing him for a lack of passing attempts, which is just lame. the guy just averaged almost ten yards per attempt, which is elite.

He is upset that he was released 2 years ago and now benched in Tennessee for locker.

Ruminator

Reaction score
My two cents is: In order for this team to become legitimately dangerous in the playoffs, the FO needs to be cognizant of the fact a bolstered OL is a much greater need than an improved WR corp.

Sac

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has the best quarterback rating of all of them at home. By a lot. Better than either Manning, Brees, Ryan and Stafford. The lumps he took were early in the season and on the road. If that last road game against Detroit is any indicator, then yeah, he's silently elite and highly efficient.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
I have a friend who is not convinced, largely because his total passing yards are so low. Try to tell him that because of the phenomenal run game and defense he doesn't HAVE to! Plus, oh yeah...this is his rookie season.

At this point I believe his floor is Hasselbeck. FLOOR. And I think he'll do much more than 'ol Hass in yards when his career is done.

Sac

Reaction score
Yards are pointless without points. I'd rather have 170 yards and 3 TD's out of Wilson than 350 yards and 1 or 2 TD's. Your friend is dumb.