One thing that really impresses me regarding Wilson

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Early in the game, I felt like Wilson was flustered a bit by the Jets pressure.. the Jets front 4 did a real good job crashing the pocket and making Wilson run for dear life. And Wilson made a couple mistakes that you never want your quarterback to make, of course one of those turned into the Jets only touchdown.

However, you wouldn't know it. You really never know it. He reacts the same way after a turnover as he does a touchdown pass.

And that I think impresses me more than anything else about him. I don't think he's the savior of the franchise like many on here will paint him to be, nor will I say he's Drew Brees II (at least not yet, maybe one day) - but the guy just has this calming demeanor to him.. and it was even more apparent seeing his opposing QB today. Mark Sanchez, you almost feel for the guy, the first bad throw or mistake Sanchez made and you can tell it was just downhill from there. His self-esteem is non-existent. I think the same can be said about Cam Newton.

Russell Wilson is one mentally strong QB.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It' called preparation.

Besides Peyton, no one less prepares better that RW.

His investment in his, and the Hawks, future is undeniable.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hasselbeck is slowly converting to the cult of Wilsonism.

Maybe the sky really is falling!

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawksfan515":rvh1gsnj said:
Wait you don't think RW is the savior of our franchise?

Savior of our franchise essentially means QBOTF, so WTF?

He could be. I just think that designation is premature 10 games in.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I'll sidestep the QBOTF talk, and just say that him coming back after that start - to have a great game - is significant.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2rvxowuy said:
hawksfan515":2rvxowuy said:

Hmm... Alright. Maybe 11 games? :)

can't fault us for being optimistic though. You know what other QB's we've burned through? I'll give you a hint, a lot of them SUCK. And even when they didn't they usually took some time to develop. Wilson's just getting in there as a rookie and getting it done, so the fans of course are ecstatic.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I'm impressed by all that stuff as well... But you know, he's really young and just light years ahead of others in his professionalism. You know you just want to grab and guy and tell him to not show his frustrations during a game, no matter how heavy they are. And don't flip out when you throw a TD. He just does it. It's really hard for me to fathom this kid because he feels like a guy who's been to every pro bowl and has earned every accolade you can achieve. It's amazing to me. Simply remarkable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":whhlgiby said:

Oh, but designating Flynn as the worthier QB after 4 games was perfectly timely. ;)

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ckhr5rf said:
Hasselbeck":2ckhr5rf said:

Oh, but designating Flynn as the worthier QB after 4 games was perfectly timely. ;)

Ha. Fair enough. Although I never christened Matt Flynn to be the savior either, just said if Wilson continued to struggle as he did early on .. Flynn deserved a chance to at least give it a go. Which comes full circle to this thread, a weaker minded QB might have let the bad set of games snowball into something worse. Wilson seemed to use it to play much better football, of which, I tip my hat to him.

gargantual

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1acen0q5 said:
Hasselbeck":1acen0q5 said:
hawksfan515":1acen0q5 said:

Hmm... Alright. Maybe 11 games? :)

can't fault us for being optimistic though. You know what other QB's we've burned through? I'll give you a hint, a lot of them SUCK. And even when they didn't they usually took some time to develop. Wilson's just getting in there as a rookie and getting it done, so the fans of course are ecstatic.

And how far was Matty Hasselbeck 10 games into his first year here? Wilson seems just a bit ahead of the curve.

(Nothing against Hass of course. I was a gigantic fan : )

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
gargantual":2hr4e1fx said:
And how far was Matty Hasselbeck 10 games into his first year here? Wilson seems just a bit ahead of the curve.

I think there are a few reasons for this. Matt started back when the rules weren't so catered to the offense. Defensive backs were allowed to be a lot more physical with WR's than they are now. Holmgren's version of the WCO was predicated on timing and rhythm .. so naturally one of the ways to counter that is to rough up the WR's on the line of scrimmage and disrupt the routes. So I think this played a role.

I also think more often than not.. Matt was his own worst enemy early on. He's talked about that many times that early in his career as a starter he would do things his way and not the way Holmgren wanted. He was quite rebellious and arrogant. When he started to buy in, ironically after losing his job, he played a lot better.

Wilson is playing in an era where defenders have a much more difficult time in the passing game. So that definitely helps him, and all the other rookies for that matter, get accustomed to the pro game. I also think Wilson at age 23 is probably a more mature player than Hasselbeck was at age 25/26 when his career began.. which goes a long way towards developing a QB.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":13ze2ulx said:
gargantual":13ze2ulx said:

I think there are a few reasons for this. Matt started back when the rules weren't so catered to the offense. Defensive backs were allowed to be a lot more physical with WR's than they are now. Holmgren's version of the WCO was predicated on timing and rhythm .. so naturally one of the ways to counter that is to rough up the WR's on the line of scrimmage and disrupt the routes. So I think this played a role.

I also think more often than not.. Matt was his own worst enemy early on. He's talked about that many times that early in his career as a starter he would do things his way and not the way Holmgren wanted. He was quite rebellious and arrogant. When he started to buy in, ironically after losing his job, he played a lot better.

Wilson is playing in an era where defenders have a much more difficult time in the passing game. So that definitely helps him, and all the other rookies for that matter, get accustomed to the pro game. I also think Wilson at age 23 is probably a more mature player than Hasselbeck was at age 25/26 when his career began.. which goes a long way towards developing a QB.

So basically Wilson is the much better player? :D

But seriously, don't make too many excuses for young Hasselbeck. And also, Russell's gotta deal with the height issue and he's handled it like a champ.

It's hard to do well as a rookie, and as a QB in this league. Wilson's doing well as both, and that's why we're all (yeah I know prematurely) saying he's our QBOTF.

Shaz

Reaction score
I have no problems at all calling Wilson our QBOTF, he's playing fantastic

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree 100%. This kid has nothin' but ice running through his veins. Incredible.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I think the real storyline of the season is Hasselbeck saying something positive about RW! Things must be going well!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
jkitsune":31ipd15d said:
I think the real storyline of the season is Hasselbeck saying something positive about RW! Things must be going well!

A 2 game win streak (which could have been a 3 game win streak) will do that.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1pc9482z said:
Matt started playing for the Hawks in 2001.

The rule change associated with "no contact beyond 5 yards" started in 1979. It used to be 10 yards.

I'm curious as to what rules you're referring to that "weren't so catered to the offense" that affected Matt's stats and performance.

Certainly the more recent rule changes to protect the QB and defenseless receivers have been recent but I don't believe that you are referring to them.