Random Thoughts™ on the Jets game

kearly

Reaction score
First of all, screw you Jeff Fisher. A delay of game on the game winning FG? The clock management at the end of that game is quite possibly the worst I have ever seen. Go figure that you coach your best game against us and your worst against SF.

On the bright side, Seattle was very likely to lose the tiebreaker with SF anyway (we already have 3 division losses and can't get a series sweep). But now that SF has tied, a tiebreaker will not come into play unless either Seattle or SF has an additional tie (and not against each other) in the final 6 weeks, and tie games are extremely rare. The math is pretty simple, if Seattle wins out, and SF loses one game besides Seattle, the Seahawks are division champions. The 49ers still have to play the red hot Saints, the Bears, and the Patriots. The Seahawks have to play the Bears on the road. Even though it bothers me that the Rams pissed away a huge win for us, the reality is that a tie has a very good chance to be just as good. It is starting to look like maybe Seattle has a solid chance at the division after all.

As far as the defense went:

The Seahawks defense pitched a stealth shutout, masked by a defensive touchdown in the first half.

Irvin had another pair of sacks. He's now tied with Clemons for the team lead (7).

Mike Morgan did better in this game. The only times I noticed him were for positive reasons.

Richard Sherman had a great game, and shows promise as a DB blitzer.

Our run defense played well statistically, but I felt a bit underwhelmed. They faced a very ordinary rush offense and allowed too many runs of 5+ for my liking.

As far as the offense went:

When I scouted Wilson, one of the many things that got me geeked about his NFL future was his consistency game to game. Well, we're starting to see that consistency with Wilson, who now has 10 TDs in his last 5 games. It would be more if not for a drop-fest at the bay last month.

Golden Tate is having a very nice season, adding to that today with a tough TD catch on a bomb, a broken tackle to prevent a punting situation, and the most awkward looking trick TD pass I've seen in the pros. I always thought Tate was a little "different" and unique, but after seeing that TD pass I know why. He's left handed.

I'm not really worried about the fumbles- turnovers can happen on any play and this season they have happened in bunches.

The first half felt like the New York Jets visiting the Seattle Jets. The second half felt like the Seattle Seahawks visiting the Kansas City Chiefs in the preseason.

I loved the resilience from Lynch. He gained almost half his yards in the 4th quarter after averaging 3 yards per carry the rest of the game. I thought the Jets run defense had done a good job but they just unravelled in the 4th quarter.

I must assume that New York still has talent in that secondary post-Revis. It was kind of ridiculous how long Wilson held the ball looking for targets.

Misc. thoughts:

I wasn't one of them, but many people cited their interest in Russell Wilson because he had the "it factor." I just liked Wilson because he scored off the charts overall and I didn't see evidence of his height hurting him. But I totally get the "it factor" comments. Calm, consistent, resilient traits are forms of talent. As is leadership. Watching Mark Sanchez, I don't know if there is a QB in the NFL who highlights the value of the "it factor" more than he does- due to so sorely lacking it. He's mobile, he's got a quick enough release, and can be at times accurate, and he's not a dummy, but he lacks confidence and resilience and in a game like this it really shows. Our pass rush gave him too much time too often, but he couldn't make our defense pay for it the same way Rodgers, Brady, Stafford or even Romo could.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Regarding the first paragraph: When yo'uve seen Carroll and Bevell time management, thats saying something!!

Wilson had a few rookie moments in the first half trying to get too cute avoiding the rush but overall another very solid game out of him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":24vp7oew said:
Regarding the first paragraph: When yo'uve seen Carroll and Bevell time management, thats saying something!!

Wilson had a few rookie moments in the first half trying to get too cute avoiding the rush but overall another very solid game out of him.
The only thing that p*$$ed me off about Wilson?, was that the Referees didn't call the blatant face mask tackle by the Jets defender, because it would have, and SHOULD have been a first down for the 'Hawks'.
Saw two uncalled face masks by the Jets today.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this thread, but, and I may be completely wrong. Others have posted that we play "down" to the other teams level. My question or comment is, it seems to me like we drag other teams kicking and screaming into "our" kind of game. Defensively, we just try to beat the snot out of every offensive player on the other team, and offensively, we just keep punching away until they relent.

Not pretty, but effective. We really work at making the other team feel like they brought a penknife to a gunfight.

Seeker

Reaction score
you know its good when kearly does these RIGHT after the game!!! lol!!! I love these

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
good read

FlyingGreg":1nyy3ie7 said:
It' s about time they showed a corner blitz...

It wasnt called that way , Sherman took it upon himself to blitz. His guy to cover was an eligible tackle , so he decided to blitz.. thats what he said on .com

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'm willing to let Fisher off a little given he went for it on 4th down twice on a fake punt - and completed both passes for big gains. Hey - one of those attempts came when the punter was in his own end zone under a little pressure. That's some coaching there. And I think he just didn't want to ice his own kicker at the end. After all, they were something like 0.01 seconds away from getting that off on time. If he calls the time out with three seconds to go and then he misses, he gets grief anyway. He took a chance on them executing and it backfired. I'm more bothered that the ref's actually called it - very ticky tacky.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Good posts. I am glad to see both Miller and Baldwin getting more looks and making the most of them. This is getting to be a difficult team to defend against.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The other thing about the Lambs/Whiner game to keep in mind is that Akers who is usually automatic inside 50 missed a 41 yarder that would've given SF the win long before StL. had their chance to win.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":pncpxw57 said:
good read

FlyingGreg":pncpxw57 said:

It wasnt called that way , Sherman took it upon himself to blitz. His guy to cover was an eligible tackle , so he decided to blitz.. thats what he said on .com

And...it was still a corner blitz. Could care less what the "call" was.

It's something new. We have big, physical corners....need to get more creative with our looks.

Hawkaholic

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":34ehrfsu said:
EastCoastHawksFan":34ehrfsu said:
good read
FlyingGreg":34ehrfsu said:
And...it was still a corner blitz. Could care less what the "call" was.

It's something new. We have big, physical corners....need to get more creative with our looks.
and... he was just pointing it out. Some people do care what the call was
Thanks for pointing that out EastCoastHawksFan, I didn't hear that. Awesome to know Sherman took that upon himself to blitz on that play. Sure looked like it was designed

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawkaholic":pmxwg4d6 said:
and... he was just pointing it out. Some people do care what the call was
Thanks for pointing that out EastCoastHawksFan, I didn't hear that. Awesome to know Sherman took that upon himself to blitz on that play. Sure looked like it was designed

and....you need to keep reading through the whole post. What's up with the sensitivity on this board lately?

My original point was about the fact we showed something different, which I like. I'd like to see more of it.

gargantual

Reaction score
Yeah, we gotta sign JJ, I'm thinkin'.

Wow this was up quick tonight Kearly (might even be a record), never seems like the game experience is complete until reading your synopsis. Thanks as always!

gargantual

Reaction score
It's starting to build to an amazing level how diverse and varying the looks we're showing on the field are getting....on both sides of the ball. Other teams coordinators are just gonna be pulling their hair out trying to predict what we're gonna do. Just when you start trying to figure out how to cover whether Wilson is going to throw or run or even pass it off to Sydney........then suddenly the ball goes to Tate for a touchdown. And then on D the same thing throwing corner blitzes into the ever more complex mix. Never really thought of Sherman doing that. Hope Bradley starts adding that in more in the future.

Exciting, just exciting stuff!