Hypothetical situation: Once the season is over, we have no

hawksfan515

Reaction score
cap room. Who do you cut/trade/restructure first to make more cap room?

Personally, I try and trade or cut Flynn for something. He's just making too much for a backup, and I don't think he's gonna restructure and forever throw away his dream of starting.

After that, I probably restructure Bryant. He just hasn't been playing as well as he usually has (usually stellar at run stopping) as of late. I'd rather use that money to extend Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Okung, ect.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I can'y help but think that Red's performance this year compared to last year is being influenced by his injured foot.

As far as cap room is concerned and players contracts getting re-structured, I'm not concerned at all. We have JS to watch over that part of the business and to date he has done a stellar job.

My recollection is the Hawks are under the cap by some $12M or $13M in 2012 and he 2013 cap number is supposed to be the same as 2012.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3ufzjm4w said:
I can'y help but think that Red's performance this year compared to last year is being influenced by his injured foot.

As far as cap room is concerned and players contracts getting re-structured, I'm not concerned at all. We have JS to watch over that part of the business and to date he has done a stellar job.

My recollection is the Hawks are under the cap by some $12M or $13M in 2012 and he 2013 cap number is supposed to be the same as 2012.

my concern is when we gotta restructure some guys. Browner, I'm not worried about. In a normal scheme he'd be screwed, so his value to other teams goes down, and we won't have to break the bank to get him back. Sherman, I'm kinda worried about. He's 6'3 but he's agile as well. He might fit in most schemes, making him pretty valuable. Thomas though, I'm hella worried about. He fits in pretty much all schemes, and has amazing range to take away that deep ball wherever he is. He will command a GIANT deal, as all teams want that in their safeties, along with his ballhawking ability (he should catch a little better though.. lol). Sherman shouldn't be too far behind. Our secondary is gonna chomp through our cash, and that's not even mentioning Kam!!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Personally, unless we have a REALLY good option as a backup, I saw we keep Flynn as long as possible. It's the whole purpose of PC's being, to keep competition at EVERY position on the team. He finally has that at QB. Flynn would be a good starter (I'm not getting into a QB argument, I'm making a point) in his own right, and therefore, at least theoretically, it pushes Wilson to be even better. I seriously doubt the team wants to move backwards at QB.

Who would I cut? LeRoy Hill, Marcus Trufant, Michael Robinson. Thankfully, none of this is necessary because the team is well-managed and in good cap shape.

themunn

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2baf5r0h said:
onanygivensunday":2baf5r0h said:

my concern is when we gotta restructure some guys. Browner, I'm not worried about. In a normal scheme he'd be screwed, so his value to other teams goes down, and we won't have to break the bank to get him back. Sherman, I'm kinda worried about. He's 6'3 but he's agile as well. He might fit in most schemes, making him pretty valuable. Thomas though, I'm hella worried about. He fits in pretty much all schemes, and has amazing range to take away that deep ball wherever he is. He will command a GIANT deal, as all teams want that in their safeties, along with his ballhawking ability (he should catch a little better though.. lol). Sherman shouldn't be too far behind. Our secondary is gonna chomp through our cash, and that's not even mentioning Kam!!

Browner would be successful in any scheme IMO, he's a talented guy and talent shows wherever you go, I don't think the scheme has anything to do with it.
But yes, as far as I'm aware we're in the top 10 for cap space, with most of our guys on long-term contracts or unable to restructure until next year anyway - we can carry that cap space over to next season as per the rules, and front load a few contracts to use the space and safely secure our top talent.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2pucbf4f said:
Who would I cut? LeRoy Hill, Marcus Trufant, Michael Robinson. Thankfully, none of this is necessary because the team is well-managed and in good cap shape.

u leave m.rob alone! the real rob reports are too cool to let go

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Mike Rob and Marshawn are a perfect tandem. Take away Mike Rob and you take away half of Beast's beastly beastlyness.

Plus, I can't imagine what I would do without a weekly RRR.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
we just have to hope that the Legion of Boom really likes playing with one another :) and will get paid accordingly.

Browner gets extended this off season , without a doubt.

aku

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2d0zl7ox said:
Flynn is making a lot less money next year.
Flynn is getting paid less next year, but his cap hit is $3.25 million higher thanks to the magic of signing bonuses. Unfortunately, that signing bonus also means that we will need to put $4 million against the cap if we cut or trade him (unless my info about trades is bad). Still, we could save at least $2 million by trading him and bringing in a veteran FA.

Other guys I could see us dropping:

• Zach Miller ($7m 2012, $11m 2013) unfortunately, if the coaching staff doesn't get him doing more than just blocking.
  • Marcus Trufant ($1.3m 2012, FA), replace with Walter Thurmond.
  • Alan Branch ($4.55m 2012, FA) or Jason Jones ($4.5 2012, FA).
  • Leroy Hill ($1.6m 2012, FA). Wright will have 2 years experience, Wagner will have 1, it might be time to get faster and younger at LB yet again.

Jville

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2od6e2y7 said:
Who said we have no cap room next year?

I can only guess the original poster probably thinks the word "hypothetical' dismisses the need for any realistic discussion. :roll: Too bad the original post crash landed here instead of setting down on the Fantasy Island forum.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1rpnculd said:
Trufant and Hill are on 1-yr deals so they can be re-signed or allowed to find work elsewhere.

I think Robinson is worth keeping for his blocking and special teams contribution.

How many teams run out their starters on Special Teams coverage? Seems like it's a requirement for a lot of Carroll's teams.

chris98251

Reaction score
Browner or any of our CB's would be off the market as soon as we cut them loose, teams have seen what Pete has done here and other then Ruskell now know that bigger and physical is a viable option. The CB's we have are changing the contact rules down field and thats an advantage. Pete has struck gold and it's a copy cat league. Those teams we kick the crap out of recognise whats going on and your going to see more teams going after the bigger corners, seen some go last year in the draft. Ya think the Cowboys or the Vikings might want Corners that can play like ours?

kearly

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think Seattle should have a tiny bit of cap room next year after trading Tjack and releasing Winslow- since those salaries combined for a little over $7 million in 2012 and that money will roll over to 2013. There is also the chance we could lose Jones or Branch in FA and replace them with draft picks. That's not ideal, but not having to pay those guys could save enough money to make a splash signing.

The most obvious cap targets are Zach Miller and Sidney Rice. Rice looks too good to let go and he's worth his 9+ million cap hit next year. Miller is going to be an $11 million cap hit so it should be interesting to see if Seattle approaches him about a restructure and risks losing him.

My guess is that Seattle stays put and "builds through the draft" yet again.

Jville

Reaction score
kearly":eakbj3fz said:
I could be wrong, but I think Seattle should have a tiny bit of cap room next year after trading Tjack and releasing Winslow- since those salaries combined for a little over $7 million in 2012 and that money will roll over to 2013. There is also the chance we could lose Jones or Branch in FA and replace them with draft picks. That's not ideal, but not having to pay those guys could save enough money to make a splash signing.

The most obvious cap targets are Zach Miller and Sidney Rice. Rice looks too good to let go and he's worth his 9+ million cap hit next year. Miller is going to be an $11 million cap hit so it should be interesting to see if Seattle approaches him about a restructure and risks losing him.

kearly ...... please check your PM

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
kearly":y6sb6j46 said:

I'm just a little worried that we'll see a guy we covet on the FA market (Miller... even though he isn't to some extent working out) and we won't be able to sign him. I still think restructuring Red is likely. But you're right, Miller is first to go.

chris98251

Reaction score
Miller isn't going anywhere, we have plenty of flexibility between cuts, not signing fringe players and guys that will sign elsewhere that are on 1 year deals. Miller has been able to start running patterns again and we have seen the benefit of that wih the offense getting more productive and the passing game coming to life more.

Hyperbowl posts like this without knowledge of the contracts and direction were looking at are like threads of who would you like to take home from a Hollywood babe line up, something to pass the time but rarely will they be realistic.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2cx9r895 said:
kearly":2cx9r895 said:

I'm just a little worried that we'll see a guy we covet on the FA market (Miller... even though he isn't to some extent working out) and we won't be able to sign him. I still think restructuring Red is likely. But you're right, Miller is first to go.

According to the Seahawks official gamebook and posted by Dan Kelly at Seagulls…

“Zach Miller saw 62 of the 75 snaps for the Seahawks' offense, and despite fans' calls to give him the football more often, he is still a mainstay of this offense. Miller saw all but one snap against Detroit, all but eight against San Francisco, all but four against New England, and you get the picture. He may not catch many passes, or as many passes as we'd all like to see, but he's an absolutely integral part of this team's offense and scheme.”

If the Seahawks believe Millers contract is too large to live with they’ll have to find a well rounded replacement for him before cutting him loose.

“Anthony McCoy continues to be a steady presence for the offense, seeing 30 of the 75 offensive snaps. Evan Moore's snaps have tapered off over the weeks and he's now only seeing the field a few times a game.”

Unless they feel McCoy can be that replacement and Moore slip into the second TE spot (and I not sure either is realistic), then Zach is most likely safe despite his cap number.

Latest posts