12th Man Flag this weekend.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
November is the NFL's Salute To Service month, honoring our nation's military, and this Sunday is Veteran's Day. In celebration of both, Seattle is having a local soldier lead the team through the tunnel, and the 12th man flag is being raised by a true hero.

NFL.com":2qplsuce said:
The SeahawksSalute to Service game, in conjunction with USAA, will be on November 11. There will be a card stunt and flyover following the Anthem. A local soldier representing the Wounded Warriors will lead the team out of the tunnel. WWII veteran Joe Moser will raise the 12th Man Flag. Moser was a P-38 fighter pilot who was shot down during his 44th mission over France. He was imprisoned in the Nazi concentration camp Buchenwald and scheduled to be executed. Joe's story is featured in an award winning documentary the 'Lost Airmen of Buchenwald' and in the book "A Fighter Pilot in Buchenwald."

kidhawk

Reaction score
I really wish the national coverage would show these. But I'll definitely check it out when they post the video at .com

If the crowd isn't riled up enough for the Jets, this should definitely get them in a stupor

grizbob

Reaction score
And yet another reason (as if I needed it) to love this team :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
kidhawk":3b9aavvd said:
If the crowd isn't riled up enough for the Jets, this should definitely get them in a stupor
I'm pretty sure we don't want the 12th man in a stupor, but I'm too lazy to look it up in Websters to be absolutely sure.

Barthawk

Reaction score
I hope the soldier running the flag out does a great job.. I volunteered, but evidently did it too late..

I am about to retire from the Army with almost 21 years of service and have been a season ticket holder for 10 of those even though I only lived in the Seattle area (Olympia) for the 2003-5 seasons..

I was disappointed...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kidhawk":2sbq4j1z said:
I really wish the national coverage would show these. But I'll definitely check it out when they post the video at .com

Seems like they do about half the time. They showed Detlef Schrempft raising it last week.

The Radish

Reaction score
JSeahawks":25nhkm8d said:
kidhawk":25nhkm8d said:

Seems like they do about half the time. They showed Detlef Schrempft raising it last week.

I thought Detlef did a great job.

:th2thumbs:

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
kidhawk":2euvmy6t said:

It will have them in the exact opposite of a stupor. Stupor means a state of extreme apathy. People will be losing their minds after the Veteran raises the flag because it will be so awesome

kidhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":32rt91rq said:
kidhawk":32rt91rq said:

They didn't show it up here. Maybe they took an extra commercial break or something, I don't know, but I have only seen it once this season on television, the rest I've watched on the seahawks website.

For those interested, here's a link for what all the rest of the teams will be doing

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... eteransDay

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SO badass! They are working OT to make up for the Dilfer flag raising incident. :D

Tailspin Hawk Fan

Reaction score
Awesome tribute. Can't wait to see Moser raise the flag. Anyone who flew a P-38 Lightning during WWII and survived what he did is a true hero in my book. Hope they show the Wounded Warrior & team run out the tunnel.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
WWII veteran Joe Moser will raise the 12th Man Flag. Moser was a P-38 fighter pilot who was shot down during his 44th mission over France. He was imprisoned in the Nazi concentration camp Buchenwald and scheduled to be executed.

Well, he set the bar for what a real man is, and I am not even close. Thats mind blowing, I wish I could be there to show my respect to that man.

Here's a link to his story

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/30/wwii.v ... index.html

He had been shooting at German anti-aircraft guns when they responded.

"They got mad and shot back at me. The fire spread across from the left wing," Moser said. "I was breaking up."

Over France, Moser tried to bail from the engulfed P-38 Lightning fighter. "My shoe caught. I was going down with the airplane," he recalled.

With the toe of his boot caught on the plane's canopy, Moser fell with the plane until he was ripped free. He opened his parachute about 100 feet above the ground, he believes.Landing in a field, Moser was surrounded by a group of French who hid his parachute and tried to help him escape. A German patrol caught Moser and two of the French, and the Germans marched them off to a night of interrogations and imprisonment.

The following morning, guards took away Moser's would-be saviors. He then heard shots.

"I figured the Germans had killed these two Frenchmen. I would have dreams that these two men were killed because they had tried to help me," Moser said.

Years later Moser found out that the men had survived and the shots were fired at them as they escaped. Moser's nightmarish dreams and guilt stopped.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Aros":37xkffqs said:
SO badass! They are working OT to make up for the Dilfer flag raising incident. :D

Dilfer > Detlef.

Detlef could barely move.. lol

Latest posts