Sidney Rice & Zack Miller Contract Misinformation

Jville

Reaction score
There are incorrect cap and player cost numbers on a couple of threads on this site. Many teams are reluctant to disclose contract numbers because those numbers are consistantly prone to misunderstanding and misused. Because this misinformation has been used here as the basis for comparing the value of individual Seahawk players going forward, it seems a disservice to .net members to leave the misinformation uncorrected.

Sidney Rice: The base salary expediture number that has been quoted on this forum is $7 million. The applicable base salary expediture number for the 2013 season is actually $8.5
I don't why Sidney's future cost is being understated by $1.5 million. But for 2013, his scheduled base salary is $8.5 million and his cap number is $9.7 million. (Pro Bowl appearence bonus not included)

Zack Miller: I don't know why Zack Miller's cost is being overstated by $1 millon. The $11 million figure is incorrect.
In 2013, Zack Miller is schedule to receive a base salary of $6.8 million plus a workout bonus of $0.2 million plus a roster bonus of $3 million for a total scheduled expenditure of $10 million. The 2013 $3 million roster bonus will be prorated over the remaining 3 years of the contract. Miller's 2013 cap number is $11 million. << wrong number Edit: Miller's correct 2013 cap number is $9 million

So the difference in scheduled 2013 expeditures between the two players is not the incorrect $11-$7=$4 million that has been implied on this site. The real expenditure difference is $300 thousand.

Two additional notes: $4 million of Zach Miller's 2013 base salary is fully guanteed. Sidney Rice has already received his guanteed monies so none of Sidney Rice's 2013 base salary is guanteed prior to making the final cut in 2013.

P.S. Spotrac referenced cap hit figures for Zack Miller are miscalculated for the years 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Please fact check before posting

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Jville":t0yxbztg said:
The $11 million figure is incorrect. . . Miller's 2013 cap number is $11 million.

I could see how that would get confusing. Not everyone specifies literal expenditure vs cap hit in their posts. I think most folks go with the cap hit. . .? Am I wrong in saying the cap hit is more important?

Bottom line, we need to restructure Zach's deal. Sydney is borderline.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for doing the work to figure the correct figures out.

kearly

Reaction score
Thanks Jville. I was lazy and just using google for mine. Serves me right.

NYCoug

Reaction score
kearly":3iwrvk7n said:
Thanks Jville. I was lazy and just using google for mine. Serves me right.

Same here haha

Thanks for setting the record straight Jville!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I would be shocked if we were willing to pay both those guys next year. Miller is the obvious candidate to restructure, but Sidney is not far behind.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My source for player contract information is rotoworld.com.

They have the correct numbers for both Rice and Miller.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Jville":2x6nxizt said:
There are incorrect cap and player cost numbers on a couple of threads on this site. Many teams are reluctant to disclose contract numbers because those numbers are consistantly prone to misunderstanding and misused. Because this misinformation has been used here as the basis for comparing the value of individual Seahawk players going forward, it seems a disservice to .net members to leave the misinformation uncorrected.

Sidney Rice: The base salary expediture number that has been quoted on this forum is $7 million. The applicable base salary expediture number for the 2013 season is actually $8.5
I don't why Sidney's future cost is being understated by $1.5 million. But for 2013, his scheduled base salary is $8.5 million and his cap number is $9.7 million. (Pro Bowl appearence bonus not included)

Zack Miller: I don't know why Zack Miller's cost is being overstated by $1 millon. The $11 million figure is incorrect.
In 2013, Zack Miller is schedule to receive a base salary of $6.8 million plus a workout bonus of $0.2 million plus a roster bonus of $3 million for a total scheduled expenditure of $10 million. The 2013 $3 million roster bonus will be prorated over the remaining 3 years of the contract. Miller's 2013 cap number is $11 million.

So the difference in scheduled 2013 expeditures between the two players is not the incorrect $11-$7=$4 million that has been implied on this site. The real expenditure difference is $300 thousand.

Two additional notes: $4 million of Zach Miller's 2013 base salary is fully guanteed. Sidney Rice has already received his guanteed monies so none of Sidney Rice's 2013 base salary is guanteed prior to making the final cut in 2013.

P.S. Spotrac referenced cap hit figures for Zack Miller are miscalculated for the years 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Please fact check before posting

Correction:
Whoops. ... Zack Miller's correct 2013 cap number is $9 million ... not 11.

Sorry about that. My mistake... added instead of subtracted :roll: It consists of the $6.8 salary + $.2 work out bonus + $1 million (1/3 of scheduled 2013 roster bonus) + $1 million (1/5 of original signing bonus) = $9 million cap number for 2013.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Boom, dropping the knowledge.

So...devil's advocate time, if we could only keep one of the two, who is it?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
HawksSoc":2zfllf8u said:
Boom, dropping the knowledge.

So...devil's advocate time, if we could only keep one of the two, who is it?

If forced to chose ........

My take is fantasy football fans ..... go with reception numbers and highlight film counts.

Where as run first zone blocking fans ..... go with the hard to find jack of all trades guy.

My expectation is that both finish well and return in 2013.