Read option?

skater18000

Reaction score
What do you think of Russell Wilson running the read option?

I like it, and think of it as a great addition to what we do.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I'll give you the standard .NET answer:

If it keeps working, it's brilliant!

:thirishdrinkers:

If it doesn't, it sucks and we should fire Bevell.

:141847_bnono:

Throwdown

Reaction score
Did he even do it in college? At NC State he ran the west coast, and at Wisconsin it was pro-style.

Only reason Griffin and Newton do it is because their coaches want them comfortable.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
Who here agrees that its just another weapon/asset for the offense that makes it more difficult on the other defenses to stop the man Russell #3 and beast mode.

JKent82

Reaction score
I like it. However it mainly just needs to be to keep the defense honest and busy thinking. Thankfully Russell seems to know quite well that it doesn't feel good to take on LB's and safeties. So as long as he takes it himself very infrequently I love it.

Just be careful with it...

BWRyan

Reaction score
I hate option in the NFL. Too gimmicky, plus it's a great way for your undersized QB to get slammed over and over again.

No thanks.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
He hasn't gotten hit yet so... it is a valuable weapon I want to see more of...

CANHawk

Reaction score
As long as e don't go to it too frequently and get Rusty shitkicked, I don't have a problem with it. Like a reverse, the Sidney Rice pass or the bubble screen to Golden Tate (which is the greatest play in all sports) it's just something else for the defense to have to keep an eye out for. Makes us dynamic and a little unpredictable and being upredictable makes defenses play on their heels (which makes them easier for Marshawn to run over). Nothing wrong with that.

mikeak

Reaction score
Throwdown":3e84ergc said:
Did he even do it in college? At NC State he ran the west coast, and at Wisconsin it was pro-style.

Only reason Griffin and Newton do it is because their coaches want them comfortable.

He did do it at NC State his first season and got injured at least twice. Once early and the second time in the bowl game when we were dominating rutgers in the first half and then the second without RW we laid an egg and lost the game.

I don't like anything gimmicky that continously puts the QB in harms way. Once in awhile - sure fine. Several times a game - don't like it. I was fine with the first scramble / run in the Minnesota game I was fine with. Mainly cause I turned around and said they should run RW here and boom they did :)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I have an even better idea: Why don't we just pull all the linemen from the game except Unger and have Russell Wilson run straight up the gut. Be a much more effective way to get our QB killed if we're going that route.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":yec2udid said:
I have an even better idea: Why don't we just pull all the linemen from the game except Unger and have Russell Wilson run straight up the gut. Be a much more effective way to get our QB killed if we're going that route.

And have Kam Chancellor go get Jeron Johnson some apple pies, cuz he's clearly playing like a rook...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":25v16382 said:

I think the read option is fine, and effective, if used sparingly. Wilson didnt even take a hit on the play and it picked up positive yardage. I'm all for anything that gains yards and like others have said, its just one more think defensive coordinators have to think about and prepare for.

drdiags

Reaction score
Old Fart Alert!!

When I see Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and other elite QBs doing it, then I am fine with it. Until then, it is a gimmick and needs to be shelved.

End Old Fart Alert. And now get off my lawn you darn whippersnappers!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drdiags":i0smaape said:
Old Fart Alert!!

When I see Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and other elite QBs doing it, then I am fine with it. Until then, it is a gimmick and needs to be shelved.

End Old Fart Alert. And now get off my lawn you darn whippersnappers!

Just to be clear, are you saying Tim Tebow is NOT elite?

drdiags

Reaction score
JSeahawks":k2u1k425 said:
Just to be clear, are you saying Tim Tebow is NOT elite?

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. It is Tebow you understand. Totally different category. I mean elite doesn't even scratch the surface with this guy.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
Yah uh... who said we want tom Brady or any old fart elite qb. Besides Aaron Rodgers could probably run this kinda thing and he is elite from the eyes of most. Point is Russell isn't like any of those quarterbacks and neither is the offences they play in.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Maybe if we just ignore this guy, he'll go away? I'm starting to think he gets off on this sort of thing.