wow.. amazing read on Bevells playcalling

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I did like the fake pitch to Lynch then the counter back with Robinson. That was my favorite play of the day. Brought me back to my high school days as that was one of our staple plays.

I feel the same way about Bevell as I always have. He's not the worst in the world, but we could do better. No more QB sneaks please.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2fjyis0h said:
Good read. Bevell is doing a good job setting up plays throughout the game.

I honestly do believe this is really the first game he's set up plays like this, as I haven't seen a read like this in the previous games, but I see it this game. We had a ton of offense in this one as well.

I really was a big fan of the Tate TD, and it was because we didn't have to do that much in terms of overall execution. Doug Baldwin didn't have to lay a block at all. He just had to try hard while running a go route. The only people the play really depended on in terms of blocks was Sidney Rice and maybe the RT and stuff to prevent backside pursuit. Great play, IMO.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't understand the angst here for QB sneaks.

QBs routinely take much more vicious hits dropping back in the pocket. Should we have Bevell make Wilson quit dropping back to pass ?

I can't ever recall seeing a QB get hurt on a sneak. Ever. At any level, to be honest. DLmen just don't get up enough momentum to do any damage. Everyone gets a hat on them and they're all partially blocked at least. Sure, you get a LBer jumping over the pile, but you also get 330 lb fat asses dropping on top of you for sacks too. I really don't see the big deal.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawks46":1qiq2mnf said:

QBs routinely take much more vicious hits dropping back in the pocket. Should we have Bevell make Wilson quit dropping back to pass ?

I can't ever recall seeing a QB get hurt on a sneak. Ever. At any level, to be honest. DLmen just don't get up enough momentum to do any damage. Everyone gets a hat on them and they're all partially blocked at least. Sure, you get a LBer jumping over the pile, but you also get 330 lb fat asses dropping on top of you for sacks too. I really don't see the big deal.

My angst has nothing to do with injury, it has to do with effectiveness. Who do you trust more to get a yard on a power play, Russell Wilson or Beastmode?

blue 22

Reaction score
I am a bevell hater... even I thought he called a decent game sunday. no points for the qb sneaks though... that was dumb.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
JSeahawks":7k9m4xkn said:
Hawks46":7k9m4xkn said:

My angst has nothing to do with injury, it has to do with effectiveness. Who do you trust more to get a yard on a power play, Russell Wilson or Beastmode?

When there is no surprise as to what the playcall is, Wilson, because we have tried that run to Lynch a few times and he has been shut down. I don't want to go find any stats for it, but find a stat for Lynch's runs on 3rd and short. I doubt they are all that great.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd actually go with Wilson on this one. His stature is perfect for it: most QBs are 6'3" or taller. Wilson is short, stocky, and can hide in the line a lot easier.

Plus, being that much smaller, it's easier to find a crease down low. I honestly think Wilson can be really great at sneaks if he gets some more practice at it.

bellingerga

Reaction score
So which is it.... you people say he's not the only one to blame when we critisize, but then you post how Creative he is and give him all the credit for the good. Can't have it both ways....

For what it's worth though, this last game I thought was the best game all year as far as playcalling so I think he showed us an improvement in creativity. I loved it, so lets hope to see some more!

minormillikin

Reaction score
Hawks46":2uz4ibtd said:
I'd actually go with Wilson on this one. His stature is perfect for it: most QBs are 6'3" or taller. Wilson is short, stocky, and can hide in the line a lot easier.

Plus, being that much smaller, it's easier to find a crease down low. I honestly think Wilson can be really great at sneaks if he gets some more practice at it.

He's short for a QB, but he's not a magical leprechaun that can sneak around unseen. He's about the same height as both Lynch and Turbin.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Could it be that we had to wait until Wilson and other grew enough to install this complexity. I go back to what PC said "I am the one holding back the offense". He wanted to wait until the players were ready. Obviously they now are ready.

The first game after the midway point of the season. I really don't think Bevell just got good at what he does, this is by design.

HawkWow

Reaction score
minormillikin":h9ajsefs said:
Hawks46":h9ajsefs said:

He's short for a QB, but he's not a magical leprechaun that can sneak around unseen. He's about the same height as both Lynch and Turbin.

LMAO! Good stuff.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bellingerga":1047xqey said:
For what it's worth though, this last game I thought was the best game all year as far as playcalling so I think he showed us an improvement in creativity. I loved it, so lets hope to see some more!
I completely agree.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":20qyctle said:
bellingerga":20qyctle said:
I completely agree.[/quote

I'll 3rd this. I haven't been impressed with Bevell this year, but that was his best game as a play caller with Wilson and co. this year. Lets hope it continues.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I think Bevell called a very good game. Of course, it always helps when the plays actually work!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawks46":2k0bbf3n said:

Hasselbeck broke his hand when Bates called a sneak off left guard on 4th and one. And two of Wilson's sneaks were after he had already taken a huge hit in the backfield. And we have bigger stronger dudes than Wilson. And it took two sneaks to get less than a yard. there are lots of reasons it is a bad call.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
minormillikin":3gqhyq9y said:

Lynch and Turbin don't stand still for a majority of their job.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
bellingerga":29ad1njw said:
So which is it.... you people say he's not the only one to blame when we critisize, but then you post how Creative he is and give him all the credit for the good. Can't have it both ways....

Who are you calling "you people?" Sorry, couldn't resist the Tropic Thunder quote that always jumps in my head when I see that said.

I think it is actually a lot more middle ground myself. I sometimes hate some of his play calls but other times he appears genius. I think he is getting better but also the O is getting more cohesive and consistant....2 very important components to make the OC look good. IDK where all the blame or bows goto as I am nowhere near considered important enough to the team to be given this data but it is definately easier to just have that one target for all the blame.

themunn

Reaction score
consistent calling (and apparent success) of QB sneaks will work like PA though, we'll go out in a sneak formation, quick slant to someone for a big gain.

Though I don't know why we don't just snap the ball directly to Tate and ask him to leap over the O-Line