Football Outsiders upgrades Hawks: #3 pass D, #6 run D

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I'll take it. We've held most teams to 20 points or less, including a murderer's row of the best QBs in the league. That is great defense no matter how you slice it.

Largent80

Reaction score
And we are now scoring in the 20's consistently.

Defense always does better early. Hopefully they rediscover the early games.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
hopefully we start stopping the run . Im not satisfied. not at all. Last weeks performance was disgusting.

yea yea we slowed down the run in the 2nd half , only 5 carries for 38 yards!! thats neary 8 yards a carry!!! Hopefully the presense of jason Jones will sure things up.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Largent80":2xjlgu3r said:

This is a huge factor IMO. Against some offenses, there is no shutting them down, only limiting them and keeping up with your own offense.

hawker84

Reaction score
they only got 5 carries for 38 yrds or whatever it was because they stopped running the ball in the second half, for whatever reason... but ya pretty impressive defense other than the couple issues we need to tighten up... with the offense coming to life, could make for some pretty interesting games down the stretch..

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3owy4lav said:
Largent80":3owy4lav said:

This is a huge factor IMO. Against some offenses, there is no shutting them down, only limiting them and keeping up with your own offense.

All they can do is run the ball. They are a one dimensional offense. We couldn't even slow the running game. This was not the case of us playing a juggernaut offense. We just played poor run defense. Call it what it is.

Largent80

Reaction score
Ha...Dom, I love ya. BUT, that was an incredible performance by a very elite RB. It was actually cool to see him do that.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Largent80":3gn4zp48 said:
Ha...Dom, I love ya. BUT, that was an incredible performance by a very elite RB. It was actually cool to see him do that.

See that's where we disagree. I dont like to see my team get pushed around. No matter what the outcome of the game.

A better performance, for me, would have been to absolutely stone him. Just stuff him and allow zilch.

I am not a fan of his, or really any player or team besides the Hawks.

Peterson embarrassed our run defense last Sunday and I didn't think it was cool.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Nobody liked it... but AP is a 1st ballot HOF-er currently at his peak that will be talked in the company of Barry Sanders and Jim Brown.

He borders on being un-stoppable.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree Dom. Do you think I loved watching Michael Jordan make fools of Kemp and Payton most the time? Oh HELL no! I can respect the incredible athlete that he was but I want MY team to beat down any athlete coming to my town to take us down (to China Town, I'm on a rhyme roll), legendary or otherwise.

As a fan of the NFL, I love watching AP tear it up. But as a bigger fan of the Seattle Seahawks, I want my defense to shut his ass down in CLink, period. Hopefully next time.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1tg30imj said:
Largent80":1tg30imj said:

See that's where we disagree. I dont like to see my team get pushed around. No matter what the outcome of the game.

A better performance, for me, would have been to absolutely stone him. Just stuff him and allow zilch.

Peterson embarrassed our run defense last Sunday and I didn't think it was cool.

You don't have to. But if you're going to use it as a reason to cast an unfavorable light on the defense as a whole, it's a pretty unfair argument, especially when this particular problem really hasn't been present the entire season. Lots of defenses have trouble with Adrian Peterson.

Much more worrisome would be if we struggle with Shonne Greene next week, which I highly doubt we will.

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":370gzgyh said:
In other news, Seattle's passing offense is now ranked #12!

Wow.

Something else that's cool? Our overall team DVOA is shoulder to shoulder with the best teams in the NFL. Our team is +30% in DVOA. The #1 team is +37%.

Another thing that's cool? The Seahawks did that while slogging through a brutal schedule. I'm guessing DVOA takes that into account, but still. Damn.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":uqn68whl said:
Tech Worlds":uqn68whl said:
Largent80":uqn68whl said:

You don't have to. But if you're going to use it as a reason to cast an unfavorable light on the defense as a whole, it's a pretty unfair argument. Lots of defenses have trouble with Adrian Peterson. Much more worrisome would be if we struggle with Shonne Greene next week, which I highly doubt we will.

Yes lots of defenses struggle with him true. But do they let him average 10 yards a carry? .

We played poorly against a great player. Why is that so hard to admit?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
How about we all calm down and see what happens against the Jets meager offense. I predict total domination, to which most of the naysayers will be come around. The defense is good. It may not be great, but it doesn't have to be great. The team as a whole is growing and we now have a much more complete team. I'm thinking we're going to be very hard to beat these last 7 games. A good offense always helps out the defense. If the defense can regain it's early season form I wouldn't be shocked to see a couple 17+ point wins.

But if they don't think we'll be well positioned for the postseason. I like that our Bye is this late, it gives us rest and we should be able to make some hay the last 6 games (after bye) with 3 road and 3 home games.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":6t61v0kb said:
MontanaHawk05":6t61v0kb said:
Tech Worlds":6t61v0kb said:

You don't have to. But if you're going to use it as a reason to cast an unfavorable light on the defense as a whole, it's a pretty unfair argument. Lots of defenses have trouble with Adrian Peterson. Much more worrisome would be if we struggle with Shonne Greene next week, which I highly doubt we will.

Yes lots of defenses struggle with him true. But do they let him average 10 yards a carry? .

It's not hard to admit; even Red Bryant admitted that they were lacking focus in the first half. I'm just bugged when people start making statements about over quality about how the defense was "overrated" to begin with, as if shutting down elite QB's was just an irrelevant mirage and that this is a worrisome trend when it's only happened twice. I didn't like the performance either, but in my view it's an easily fixable, very temporary wobble in an otherwise awesome defense.

I do respect you for being willing to call the D out on this after a WIN. Most people wait until after a loss.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2equrvus said:
Tech Worlds":2equrvus said:
MontanaHawk05":2equrvus said:
Tech Worlds said:

It's not hard to admit; even Red Bryant admitted that they were lacking focus in the first half. I'm just bugged when people start making statements about over quality about how the defense was "overrated" to begin with, as if shutting down elite QB's was just an irrelevant mirage and that this is a worrisome trend when it's only happened twice. I didn't like the performance either, but in my view it's an easily fixable, very temporary wobble in an otherwise awesome defense.

I do respect you for being willing to call the D out on this after a WIN. Most people wait until after a loss.

Hey our guys arnt scrubs and I am sure they will get things fixed. Pete is a hell of a defensive mind. If it can be fixed he will do so.

But I have to admit that I am no longer as confident in our defensive ability to shut down the run as I was prior to the Patriots game.

Sac

Reaction score
Get ready for a wild second half ride people. The rookie gets it and we're going to win a lot of games the second half of this season.

Happy

Reaction score
I think tech and montana are violently agreeing.

AP is a badass. our D did not have their a-game when they played him and he tore them a new one. The end.

But, as montana points out, this whole extrapolating of a single game performance into a blanket statement about the quality of the team, units, individual players, and coaching staff is dumb. Feels like people enjoy kneeing themselves in the face or something. I don't get it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
19 replies, and I'm the first to notice that our DVOA rank is actually 11th, not 12th? For shame! :D

It's amazing what a couple good offensive games will do for ya.