Holy crap - Bobby Wagner....8 tackles behind 2nd in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox0r

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner has shot up the tackles list out of no where and he's now 8 tackles removed from 2nd in the entire NFL in tackles. He's currently 10th in the NFL.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Wasn't he one of the most prolific tacklers in NCAA? Hopefully he can be a steady London Fletcher type guy racking up tons of tackles every year, giving the team solid, reliable play. With his athleticism he can make some splash plays too

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
When I mentioned he will destroy anything Lofa did here I was laughed at :(

Glad we picked him.....although he wasn't my first LBer choice.....looks like PC/JS really do know their stuff. So AWESOME.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Not to take away from what Wagner is doing, but I kind of expect my middle linebacker to be high on the tackles list. If he's not, then we have a problem somewhere along the line

Sac

Reaction score
I've seen Wagner mentioned by a few, I think Don Banks and maybe Peter King as DROY so far.

CANHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3889icdn said:
Not to take away from what Wagner is doing, but I kind of expect my middle linebacker to be high on the tackles list. If he's not, then we have a problem somewhere along the line

I was just going to say that I'd actually be happier if he was way down the list on tackles on account of all runs being stuffed soundly by Mebane and Branch.

But yeah, Mad Props for BWagz. the kid's going to the a good one for us.

NYCoug

Reaction score
kidhawk":32c2dqbt said:

True in theory, but it hasn't always been the case for the Seahawks as you know, which makes it nice to actually see. When you take a look at the team's all-time leading tacklers list, you'll start to see WAYYY too many DB's on the list.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/career-defense.htm

Kudos to Wags. He's taken his licks and hasn't been perfect, much like Russell Wilson, but when you measure their potential/production and the improvement and ability to learn from their mistakes that they've shown, I don't think there's a better rookie MLB or rookie QB in the game.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
And Wagner wasn't even playing all 3 downs until a few weeks ago. That's what is even more impressive...he was only playing a sample of the defensive plays and still racking up numbers.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":of6hg19s said:

There are 32 teams in the league last time I checked so regardless of position being a top 10 is pretty good........

Just for grins lets apply the theory elsewhere: I expect the qb on my team to be completing a lot of passes especially compared to other players. I will take a top 10 standing for the qb as well........

kidhawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":3s8ki8qx said:
kidhawk":3s8ki8qx said:

True in theory, but it hasn't always been the case for the Seahawks as you know, which makes it nice to actually see. When you take a look at the team's all-time leading tacklers list, you'll start to see WAYYY too many DB's on the list.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/career-defense.htm

Kudos to Wags. He's taken his licks and hasn't been perfect, much like Russell Wilson, but when you measure their potential/production and the improvement and ability to learn from their mistakes that they've shown, I don't think there's a better rookie MLB or rookie QB in the game.

That is exactly why I said it wasn't meant to detract from what Wagner has done so far in his rookie season. I think he was a good pick-up for the position and am glad he's been successful. I do like the way he is playing and the fact that he is doing a good job at what he's supposed to be doing isn't a detractor at all. I just hope he holds up over the long haul and doesn't drop off after the first few seasons like Tatupu did. He was REALLY good early in his career, but couldn't take the punishment the position requires.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Good point, kidhawk.

It still gets me down thinking about the quick rise and fall of Lofa. I'm just glad that we'll always remember him and what he meant to this team and it's fans during his playing career here.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm honestly not surprised. However, one thing he's been doing the last couple games is maybe being too assignment correct. He usually has an A or B gap depending on the shift and when a run comes I've seen him just hit his gap without reading too much when the play is backside and he in essence seals himself out. This can be both good and bad depending on the run.

One of our players the week before talked about them being better against the run and specifically mentioned people doing their job and staying in their gaps. This is great so long as the backside guys do the same or you get gashed on cutback runs. Wagner has been assignment correct in most every case, but again....sometimes that leads you to sealing yourself out of a cutback run.

Whole D has to be on the same page.

However, in terms of pure physical measurables Wagner may literally be the most PHYSICALLY talented MLB in the NFL. He stacks up better than Willis in most categories, believe it or not. That said, I'm looking forward to Wagner growing enough that he can be more than just assignment correct.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Here are how many tackles the top 32 tacklers have, with Wagner highlighted in green.

99uzF

This doesn't tell the whole story (or even most of it), but this is what I expect out of the MLB on a good defense. The praiseworthy bit to me here is that Wagner is playing a key role in a good defense as a rookie.

ivotuk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1oive5al said:
I'm honestly not surprised. However, one thing he's been doing the last couple games is maybe being too assignment correct. He usually has an A or B gap depending on the shift and when a run comes I've seen him just hit his gap without reading too much when the play is backside and he in essence seals himself out. This can be both good and bad depending on the run.

One of our players the week before talked about them being better against the run and specifically mentioned people doing their job and staying in their gaps. This is great so long as the backside guys do the same or you get gashed on cutback runs. Wagner has been assignment correct in most every case, but again....sometimes that leads you to sealing yourself out of a cutback run.

Whole D has to be on the same page.

However, in terms of pure physical measurables Wagner may literally be the most PHYSICALLY talented MLB in the NFL. He stacks up better than Willis in most categories, believe it or not. That said, I'm looking forward to Wagner growing enough that he can be more than just assignment correct.

Kudos vin for calling this one early on. I remember your post comparing him to Kendricks I believe it was and it was spot on. Really appreciate your input and yours is one of the names where I expect something interesting every time a see a post you make. Unlike some where I save valuable time by avoiding their posts :D

Status
Not open for further replies.