Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Remember game 1, when the way to beat the Hawks was blitz, blitz, blitz? The report was out on Wilson, the Cards showed the league what to do, and Wilson faced so much blitzing in the following weeks that if he hadn't been such a slippery squirrel, he would have been road kill. How times have changed.

Against the Vikings, he only faced 8 rushes of 5 or more guys. Why? He was killing the blitz. He was 5 for 8 for 45 yards and two touchdowns vs the blitz.

And he never even smiled while he was doing it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":16ljkndl said:
He's got the eyes of a serial killer.

That's one of the things I've noticed about him, too, and I think it's outstanding. He just seems to be able to dispassionately run the plays, and then put them behind him, whether they were good or bad. Then he goes about the next one, seeming to not get frazzled or upset (but not in a Charlie Whitehurst "Wooderson" kind of way).

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Impressive stuff. Great QBs take opposing blitzes and exploit them all day long. Glad to see Russell Wilson adding another chalk mark to that QBOTF talk.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2rhzx87l said:
FlyingGreg":2rhzx87l said:

That's one of the things I've noticed about him, too, and I think it's outstanding. He just seems to be able to dispassionately run the plays, and then put them behind him, whether they were good or bad. Then he goes about the next one, seeming to not get frazzled or upset (but not in a Charlie Whitehurst "Wooderson" kind of way).

Agreed. I was really impressed watching him in the SF game with all the dropped passes - his demenaor never changed. No shoulder sagging, no head shaking, just clapping his hands and looking to Bevell for the next play call.

Just as impressively, when he hits a big play it's just business as usual. No silly celebrations, he just runs down and gets ready to make the next play happen.

Dude is money.

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1s2t5v60 said:
volsunghawk":1s2t5v60 said:
FlyingGreg":1s2t5v60 said:

Agreed. I was really impressed watching him in the SF game with all the dropped passes - his demenaor never changed. No shoulder sagging, no head shaking, just clapping his hands and looking to Bevell for the next play call.

Just as impressively, when he hits a big play it's just business as usual. No silly celebrations, he just runs down and gets ready to make the next play happen.

Dude is money.

Great thread, and amen!

One of his best qualities is that he LEARNS, and does not repeat mistakes. That's what I like seeing each week. This sets him up for great future success (and certainly measurable success right now).

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Russell has so much maturity as a rookie, it's amazing. So do the other rookies you have on this list, but Russell fits right up there with RGIII and Luck.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Wilson is very business like. It's impressive. Reminds me of Peyton Manning

sutz

Reaction score
Well, sure, Russell has been great and getting better, but........

his receivers have been getting better at making the correct reads and doing the right moves, too.

The whole offense has improved. It is a team sport. ;)

hawksfan515

Reaction score
sutz":10ucvc1y said:
Well, sure, Russell has been great and getting better, but........

his receivers have been getting better at making the correct reads and doing the right moves, too.

The whole offense has improved. It is a team sport. ;)

O-line has made massive strides as well.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Lieutenant Dan":2lcax0uc said:
One of his best qualities is that he LEARNS, and does not repeat mistakes. That's what I like seeing each week. This sets him up for great future success (and certainly measurable success right now).
This, and he takes takes personal responsibility for scouting his next opponent and figuring out what he believes will work against their defense. His degree of "ownership" of the results of the Hawks offense is impressive.

He doesn't wait for the coaches to tell him what they think will work. He's way ahead of the curve.

JKent82

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":16333pgn said:
XxxZagnutxxX":16333pgn said:
We should nickname him "Ice"

Matty "ice" - starting QB of the Atlanta Falcons .

Russel Wilsons nickname - Russel Wilson

Why not just call him Russell? :lol:

The two biggest things I wanted to see out of Russ coming into the last few weeks was to start using the short middle for slants and dumpoffs and make people pay for blitzing a bit more. He's definitely showing a lot of both.

JKent82

Reaction score
dunceface":1z1verwu said:
RW3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gah that's as bad as the ice one. RGIII sounds good. RWIII does not. Russell is better than RGIII. Thus let's not copy it.

Russell Sprouts and lil' Russ are the only nicknames that should be used as those are the only nicknames officially sanctioned by me. Everyone please follow that rule starting now. Lil' Russ is used in a loving manner like when talking to puppy or kitten or while belittling a child for fun and probably squeezing their cheeks like that aunt you probably had. This is not to be said like when referring to some rapper.

Also I just learned Russell's middle name is Carrington. You may refer to him as Russell Cares-a-ton Wilson. Because that's not stupid or anything.

If we've learned anything it's that nicknames are stupid unless they aren't. Like Beastmode. Or Big Red.