The loss to the Rams was -

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The loss to the Rams was -
Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:48 pm
  • The best possible outcome at this point in time. Yep, I said it! Here are some reasons.

If the Hawks would of won this game, we wouldn't necessarily be talking about how the O-line played and how little time RW had to throw. The story would of been simply that the Rams D-Line is one of the best in the league yada yada. Yes, they are, but that doesn't hide the fact that this O-line still needs a lot of work and time to build comradery.

We wouldn't necessarily be spotlighting the Offensive deficiencies because if you look at the stats for this game compared to previous games in St. Louis, people would be saying "When was the last time the Hawks put up 31 in St. Louis." In Graham's record against the Rams, "he statistically had the best game he's had against that D."

If Beast doesn't get stuffed on 4th and 1, and Housh boots a game winner, yes some of us would still be worried about the play calling but, many would say "well, this is the way the Hawks win, they grind it out and wear D's down. This doesn't highlight the fact that when they needed to run the ball, even with decent end game stats, to get 3 or 4 yards on 3rd down they couldn't get it done.

Defensively, they gave up way too many yards in the air and on the ground, especially for a 3rd option RB. If the Hawks win however some would say "Well it's just the first game with new pieces, ET is not in game shape etc...

There is certainly more to complain about but I don't want to dwell on the negative. I simply wanted to say that the best possible time for our boys to be handed one against a tough Rams team was last Sunday. The way I look at it is if we hand the Rams a L at Century Link it's a wash. A win last Sunday would have masked many deficiencies that are now in the spotlight with much time to get right.

As far as GB next Sunday in prime time. I am confident that the Hawks will be dialed in and will play much better in all 3 phases. I would love to see our crew roll into Lambeau and make a statement! :thfight7:
    Beast Mode 05 Sep 12 - "And then with our defense playing the way that they've been playing, we don't even need an offense."
    dbsn2420
    NET Veteran

Re: The loss to the Rams was -
Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:58 pm
  • I think we could have prevented the TD sending it into overtime w/out masking our problems. Just my $0.02.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:14 pm
  • Completely expected.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:37 pm
  • Losing does not help. All the problems would have been just as apparent (to the coaches) had the Seahawks squeaked out a win.

Of course, if we lose to Green Bay there will definitely be another "this loss was a great wake-up call" thread -- and it will be just as false.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:06 pm
  • disappointing.

I think that pretty much covers it.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:10 pm
  • Have we not lost to the Rams the last two years and still gone to the Super Bowl?
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:16 pm
  • I was disappointed in the defensive lapses mistakes and the lack of genuine imagination and execution on O.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:30 pm
  • Year of The Hawk wrote:Have we not lost to the Rams the last two years and still gone to the Super Bowl?

No. You have only lost to the Rams the last one year and gone to the Super Bowl.

The previous year when you won the Super Bowl you swept the Rams.
    When you get to Helllll, John. Tel em Daisy sentcha.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:37 pm
  • I get where you're coming from dbsn, but I disagree. The coaches and players don't share our mindset. They know when things need to be worked on whether they win or lose. It doesn't matter what we as fans complain about. If we had won ugly, the coaches and players would still see the need to improve the o-line, defense, and punt return coverage.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:55 pm
  • Polaris wrote:disappointing.

I think that pretty much covers it.

Covers it for me.

A loss can be a good thing if players learn from it. And I hope it pisses the entire defense off, watching themselves sleep walk on Monday. Wagner needs to get real fired up; he just signed a huge deal and the Hawks gave him everything he wanted, this wasn't a way to prove you earned it.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:04 pm
  • I swear I hate the Rams so much. They play every game against the Hawks like it's their Superbowl. And then just suck against everyone else.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:19 pm
  • Yeah, right
    Marlin Man
    NET Starter

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:40 pm
  • RedAlice wrote:
    Year of The Hawk wrote:Have we not lost to the Rams the last two years and still gone to the Super Bowl?

No. You have only lost to the Rams the last one year and gone to the Super Bowl.

The previous year when you won the Super Bowl you swept the Rams.

Yes, but we did lose to the Jags the first game in 2005, and lost the Rams last year, then went on to the Super Bowl.

:mrgreen:
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:05 pm
  • It was a game we should have won. We have to win those kinds of games if we are to get HFA for the third straight year, which at this point in our franchise history has to be the regular season goal. Although I saw some things to give me hope, there is no such thing as a 'good' loss when you're the two time defending conference champs.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:14 pm
  • minormillikin wrote:
    Of course, if we lose to Green Bay there will definitely be another "this loss was a great wake-up call" thread -- and it will be just as false.

Oh really....and you want us to go 0-3 quietly?
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:23 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:I was disappointed in the defensive lapses mistakes and the lack of genuine imagination and execution on O.

Wasnt any time for getting cute. We went with hurry up and turned things around. Just couldnt run block at the end.
    Congrats to Pro Bowl and All Pro Rookie Tyler Lockett
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:41 pm
  • It's never good to lose a game... EVER.
    The Internet, a tool of vast knowledge used as a WWE - Days of Our Lives mashup. Oh humankind how I weep for thee.
    Jiggy
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:44 pm
  • The bloody Redskins can hold the Lambs to 10 points and we cant????
    :pukeface:
    Member of 39 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Location: Victoria BC or my Galactic Stonghold on Nar Shaddaa

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:20 pm
  • Jiggy wrote:It's never good to lose a game... EVER.

You might if you want your coach fired, such as was the case with our losing to the Jets in the Vinny Testaverde helmet touchdown which resulted in the hiring of Mike Holmgren and the second best era in Seahawks football. Or you might want the #1 overall pick (Suck for Luck?).

But I get your point.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:29 pm
  • minormillikin wrote:Losing does not help. All the problems would have been just as apparent (to the coaches) had the Seahawks squeaked out a win.

I wasn't really talking about the players or coaches, I was talking about fans who if they would of squeaked out a win would of simply chalked it up to the Hawks playing a tough team on the road, net necessarily the level of play or the Hawks issues.

As we saw from the Rams today, the Hawks should of stomped their arse last week and simply didn't play well enough to get it done.

For the record, I think the Hawks will beat GB tonight and play much better on each side of the ball! :th2thumbs:
    Beast Mode 05 Sep 12 - "And then with our defense playing the way that they've been playing, we don't even need an offense."
    dbsn2420
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:33 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:
    Jiggy wrote:It's never good to lose a game... EVER.

You might if you want your coach fired, such as was the case with our losing to the Jets in the Vinny Testaverde helmet touchdown which resulted in the hiring of Mike Holmgren and the second best era in Seahawks football. Or you might want the #1 overall pick (Suck for Luck?).

But I get your point.

So you wanted to lose that game? It kept us out of the playoffs that year....You have had some very strange posts today.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:34 pm
  • Counter-point:

A loss was the worst scenario between winning and losing. Statistically speaking. And also, you know, playoff implications.

That is some delicious delusion though you are drinking.
    hawksincebirth wrote:
    So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:48 am
  • SeaToTheHawks wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:
    Jiggy wrote:It's never good to lose a game... EVER.

But I get your point.

So you wanted to lose that game? It kept us out of the playoffs that year....You have had some very strange posts today.

I didn't want to lose that game at the time. But in retrospect, it was the best thing that could have happened to us. In all likelihood, we would have lost in the first round, Erickson would have gotten at least one more year, Holmgren would have ended up somewhere else, and our mediocrity would have continued.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:27 am
  • Embarrassing.

We looked completely overwhelmed and unprepared and played with lackluster motivation.

I didn't expect to win in GB (wanted to win, but I want them to win them all...) but I did want the STL game in STL.

Fisher simply had his team better prepared.
    ChiefHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:59 am
  • dbsn2420 wrote:I wasn't really talking about the players or coaches, I was talking about fans who if they would of squeaked out a win would of simply chalked it up to the Hawks playing a tough team on the road, net necessarily the level of play or the Hawks issues.

You're saying you're "not talking about the players and coaches", but that the loss was a good thing because it "[exposed] many weaknesses that are now in the spotlight". Huh!? What difference does it make if the fans know about our weaknesses or not? That doesn't make us a better team or make them more likely to be fixed (as others have mentioned, the coaching staff would have identified flaws regardless of whether we won or not).

The best possible outcome was a win, and a win where there weren't weaknesses for us to acknowledge. I'm really not sure what your point is, it seems like a huge reach.
    JimmyG
    NET Rookie

It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information