Bevell's use of Tate

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The one thing that befuddles me about Bevell is his inability to use Golden Tate's athleticism more. Similar to what Minnesota does with Percy Harvin. Of all the receivers on the team, I think Tate is the closest to that. I believe Tate can be really good in that role. Maybe not Percy Harvin good but still pretty good. We've seen glimpses of it but not on a consistent level. Coming from a system, Minnesota, that has effectively used that type of player it's odd that he's not using that here. Just an observation.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
He's trying to with the bubble screens. They did a smart thing with those yesterday - first in making them very quick throws to allow Tate to get into space, and second running the same play back to back but on different sides as the Vikings stayed in the same defense.

Bevell seems to have figured out that the long/wide throw is an accident waiting to happen. The quick pop to Tate in the slot is much more effective.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
hawkfan68":d9my3ll6 said:
The one thing that befuddles me about Bevell is his inability to use Golden Tate's athleticism more. Similar to what Minnesota does with Percy Harvin. Of all the receivers on the team, I think Tate is the closest to that. I believe Tate can be really good in that role. Maybe not Percy Harvin good but still pretty good. We've seen glimpses of it but not on a consistent level. Coming from a system, Minnesota, that has effectively used that type of player it's odd that he's not using that here. Just an observation.
Well the last game saw signs of things to come with him using Tate the right way. Screens to Tate with Rice blocking worked out much better than how it was previously done. Hopefully we'll see much more of that because Tate is very dangerous in the open field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's not all on Bevell. The past two years Tate has been the most inconsistent WR, both with his route running, and drops. Add in a rookie QB, conservative play calling for the first half of the season and offensive line just now beginning to pass block consistently = Tate not reaching his full potential.

Like I said, yesterday Bevell called a GREAT game............and there's no reason to think that a wider open passing game with Tate more involved won't continue.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2fjnwxjb said:
It's not all on Bevell. The past two years Tate has been the most inconsistent WR, both with his route running, and drops. Add in a rookie QB, conservative play calling for the first half of the season and offensive line just now beginning to pass block consistently = Tate not reaching his full potential.

Like I said, yesterday Bevell called a GREAT game............and there's no reason to think that a wider open passing game with Tate more involved won't continue.

You're correct in route running, but i think you would be surprised with how many drops he actually recorded in 2011.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
One of those screens was a backwards pass that the Hawks all just stood there looking at as it rolled out of bounds while the Minnesota DB dashed towards it trying to scoop it up and go for six. Tate has to have his head screwed on when that happens and go get that ball. Tate has to not place himself behind Wilson forcing the Qb to make a backwards pass.

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
Basis4day":14se7r6x said:
Sgt. Largent":14se7r6x said:

You're correct in route running, but i think you would be surprised with how many drops he actually recorded in 2011.

Agreed. He had 0 drops in 2011. He had one bad game this year in terms of drops (at San Francisco), so I'm not sure that dinging him for drops is warranted.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He has great hands. He is getting to be a decent #2. That said I'd still look to a WR or TE high in our next draft

Starrman44

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2x0sow1b said:
One of those screens was a backwards pass that the Hawks all just stood there looking at as it rolled out of bounds while the Minnesota DB dashed towards it trying to scoop it up and go for six. Tate has to have his head screwed on when that happens and go get that ball. Tate has to not place himself behind Wilson forcing the Qb to make a backwards pass.

:sarcasm_on: it's just so hard to stay in front of him when you got a midget QB taking midget steps backwards :sarcasm_off: :mrgreen:

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":201bhhyq said:
He's trying to with the bubble screens. They did a smart thing with those yesterday - first in making them very quick throws to allow Tate to get into space, and second running the same play back to back but on different sides as the Vikings stayed in the same defense.

Bevell seems to have figured out that the long/wide throw is an accident waiting to happen. The quick pop to Tate in the slot is much more effective.

Yeah, in his presser just now (3:20ish) Pete addressed why some of those passes are working better and it has to do with our budding franchise quarterback. Pete said some of those quick throws are actually designed run/pass plays. Russell comes out of the huddle, sees the defensive setup, and makes the call as they approach the line whether to continue with the called run, or switch to the quick slot screen. Same formation, nothing changes except Wilson hands it off or he plants his foot, turns and throws. So as Russell is 1) getting more thoroughly into the playbook, and 2) being able to read defenses and adjust the play in the moment, those plays are working and adding dimensions to what our offense can do.

Bipolar

Reaction score
I find it quite ironic how we go from bashing Golden Tate for his wild inconsistency to blaming offensive coaching staff for not featuring him enough in the passing game.

there is a reason why Bevell is an NFL coach and we aren't. he probably knows better :).

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Bipolar":2uwd7y02 said:
I find it quite ironic how we go from bashing Golden Tate for his wild inconsistency to blaming offensive coaching staff for not featuring him enough in the passing game.

there is a reason why Bevell is an NFL coach and we aren't. he probably knows better :).

It almost sounds like this is an internet based fan forum chock full of diverging personalities/opinions and wildly inconsistent reactions!

Oh wait...

:1:

P.S. Your screen name perfectly describes us.

mikeak

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":34tctvs9 said:

That was the third ladderal of the game counting the Rice play. They were all thrown the same way - I think it was the play call. Don't like it but think it was.

With that said 100% agree I was pissed that nobody went after the ball as it bounced out of bounds...

suppaball

Reaction score
Starrman44":3v26m7yf said:
SalishHawkFan":3v26m7yf said:

:sarcasm_on: it's just so hard to stay in front of him when you got a midget QB taking midget steps backwards :sarcasm_off: :mrgreen:
LOL thats some funny shit right there man!

dunceface

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":30ef80ne said:

+1 Concur and Tate has even admitted he feels like he now understands more of what he needs to be an NFL receiver
Now that he is more effective he is being used more and looking more comfortable like the natural athlete with a knack for amazing plays that we saw at Notre Dame