Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Are the 2012 Seahawks like the 2009 Jets?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:02 am 
* NET Sage *

With it being Jets week, it seems even more fitting.

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. fielded a top defense highlighted by its secondary.

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. started a rookie QB and had a very up and down offense.. highlighted by its rushing game. (More on this later though)

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. struggled on the road and played much better at home.

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. had Braylon Edwards (ok this is more coincidence than anything else)

The 2009 Jets finished the year 9-7 and would wind up losing in the AFC Championship to the Indianapolis Colts.

The parallels between the two teams are very eerily similar, except for one big thing. Quarterback play. Russell Wilson is far and away better in his rookie season than Mark Sanchez was. In fact, Wilson has already eclipsed Sanchez in TD passes in their respective rookie years.. and for the most part has shown a good ability at protecting the football (save for a couple of brain farts he's had.. which happens with the position)

I remember there were threads comparing us to the Ravens and Bucs of the early 2000's .. and those were some really.. just off comparisons in my book. Both of those teams had unreal defenses who played NASTY football from start to finish. There were no Matt Stafford big days or Adrian Peterson big days against those defenses. We're talking historically good units for each respective team.

However, the Seahawks defense IS indeed a Top 10 unit.. and more often than not, they will play to that ability. The '09 Jets defense played very similar.. they had a couple of off days (interestingly enough at home of all places) but for the most part they were very good. In fact they were the best defense in terms of points allowed (we are currently 3rd overall in that category).

I think a lot of people would be happy with the Jets 2009 season.. even if we fell in the conference championship game.

Post subject: Re: Are the 2012 Seahawks like the 2009 Jets?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:10 am 
* NET Starfish *

TL;DR

We get it, you don't like Russell Wilson. Enough already.

HA! I'm kidding. I read it. There are some similarities, the 2009 Jets were a young team with mixed expectations, but our QB play is MUCH better than theirs was that year. Also, I'd rate their defense as being a bit better that year than ours is this season. they won a lot of close games that year, from what I can recall. I'd be happy with a wildcard and a couple of playoff wins, certainly.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 am 
* NET Alumni *

You answered your own question with the play at the QB position. The answer is NO.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 am 
NET Veteran

XxxZagnutxxX wrote:
You answered your own question with the play at the QB position. The answer is NO.

:13:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm 
NET Rookie

I certainly hope not.....I HATE the Jets!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:36 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

Not really. For one, the 2012 Seahawks uniform is primarily blue while the Jets of 2009 wore primarily green. Also while the Jets were from the east coat, and more specifically the north east, the Seahawks are from the west coast, and more specifically the north west. So I suppose they have the north part in common. Also, the 2009 Jets played in the AFC East which consisted of the Patriots, Dolphins and Bills while the 2012 Seahawks play in the NFC west which consists of the Rams, Cardinals & 49ers. Also the 2012 Seahawks are coached by Pete Carroll while the 2009 Jets were coached by Rex Ryan who looked like he may have eaten Pete Carroll. Although based on Pete Carroll's continued existence as somebody who has not been eaten it would appear that possibility is at least mostly false. Also the 2009 Jets had to travel west to play the teams in the western side of the US while the 2012 Seahawks have to travel east to play the teams on the eastern side of the US. This is obviously a big difference. Both teams have used primarily air travel to arrive at their "away" destinations so they do have that in common.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:44 pm 
* Gangnameister *

Zebulon Dak wrote:
Not really. For one, the 2012 Seahawks uniform is primarily blue while the Jets of 2009 wore primarily green. Also while the Jets were from the east coat, and more specifically the north east, the Seahawks are from the west coast, and more specifically the north west. So I suppose they have the north part in common. Also, the 2009 Jets played in the AFC East which consisted of the Patriots, Dolphins and Bills while the 2012 Seahawks play in the NFC west which consists of the Rams, Cardinals & 49ers. Also the 2012 Seahawks are coached by Pete Carroll while the 2009 Jets were coached by Rex Ryan who looked like he may have eaten Pete Carroll. Although based on Pete Carroll's continued existence as somebody who has not been eaten it would appear that possibility is at least mostly false. Also the 2009 Jets had to travel west to play the teams in the western side of the US while the 2012 Seahawks have to travel east to play the teams on the eastern side of the US. This is obviously a big difference. Both teams have used primarily air travel to arrive at their "away" destinations so they do have that in common.

The whole time I read this, I read it in the voice of Johnny the effeminate guy from the movie Airplane!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:45 pm 
NET Veteran

Just kidding.
Attachment:
johnny.jpeg
johnny.jpeg [ 11.1 KiB | Viewed 1591 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

CANHawk wrote:
Zebulon Dak wrote:

The whole time I read this, I read it in the voice of Johnny the effeminate guy from the movie Airplane!

Really? I read it in the voice of Robin Leach.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:36 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Scottemojo wrote:
CANHawk wrote:
Zebulon Dak wrote:

Really? I read it in the voice of Robin Leach.

I read it in the voice of Tyler Durden.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:07 am 
NET Veteran

Zebulon Dak wrote:

I read it in Leslie Nielson's voice for some reason...

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:56 am 
NET Veteran

The Jets...?

4-4 @ home
5-3 on the road.

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:15 am 
NET Veteran

CANHawk wrote:
Zebulon Dak wrote:

Morgan Freeman.....although almost everything I read is now narrated by Morgan Freeman...including this sentence.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:33 am 
NET Veteran

Let's get the Optimus Prime guy to record it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 am 
* NET Starfish *

HawkAroundTheClock wrote:
Let's get the Optimus Prime guy to record it.

Leonard Nimoy?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:55 am 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:57 pm 
NET Rookie

I sure hope we aren't the 2009 Jets. I don't wanna suck like ass in 3 years!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:57 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

I am more concerned that we may be like the 86 Hawks.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

I see another major difference between the Seahawks of now and the Jets of then: We aren't signing big-name, overpaid free agents in the hopes of winning now.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:43 am 
NET Veteran

We also both have/had Leon Washington as our primary KR/PR

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]