Are the 2012 Seahawks like the 2009 Jets?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
With it being Jets week, it seems even more fitting.

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. fielded a top defense highlighted by its secondary.

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. started a rookie QB and had a very up and down offense.. highlighted by its rushing game. (More on this later though)

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. struggled on the road and played much better at home.

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. had Braylon Edwards (ok this is more coincidence than anything else)

The 2009 Jets finished the year 9-7 and would wind up losing in the AFC Championship to the Indianapolis Colts.

The parallels between the two teams are very eerily similar, except for one big thing. Quarterback play. Russell Wilson is far and away better in his rookie season than Mark Sanchez was. In fact, Wilson has already eclipsed Sanchez in TD passes in their respective rookie years.. and for the most part has shown a good ability at protecting the football (save for a couple of brain farts he's had.. which happens with the position)

I remember there were threads comparing us to the Ravens and Bucs of the early 2000's .. and those were some really.. just off comparisons in my book. Both of those teams had unreal defenses who played NASTY football from start to finish. There were no Matt Stafford big days or Adrian Peterson big days against those defenses. We're talking historically good units for each respective team.

However, the Seahawks defense IS indeed a Top 10 unit.. and more often than not, they will play to that ability. The '09 Jets defense played very similar.. they had a couple of off days (interestingly enough at home of all places) but for the most part they were very good. In fact they were the best defense in terms of points allowed (we are currently 3rd overall in that category).

I think a lot of people would be happy with the Jets 2009 season.. even if we fell in the conference championship game.

canfan

Reaction score
I certainly hope not.....I HATE the Jets!

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Not really. For one, the 2012 Seahawks uniform is primarily blue while the Jets of 2009 wore primarily green. Also while the Jets were from the east coat, and more specifically the north east, the Seahawks are from the west coast, and more specifically the north west. So I suppose they have the north part in common. Also, the 2009 Jets played in the AFC East which consisted of the Patriots, Dolphins and Bills while the 2012 Seahawks play in the NFC west which consists of the Rams, Cardinals & 49ers. Also the 2012 Seahawks are coached by Pete Carroll while the 2009 Jets were coached by Rex Ryan who looked like he may have eaten Pete Carroll. Although based on Pete Carroll's continued existence as somebody who has not been eaten it would appear that possibility is at least mostly false. Also the 2009 Jets had to travel west to play the teams in the western side of the US while the 2012 Seahawks have to travel east to play the teams on the eastern side of the US. This is obviously a big difference. Both teams have used primarily air travel to arrive at their "away" destinations so they do have that in common.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1lo3bhdy said:
Not really. For one, the 2012 Seahawks uniform is primarily blue while the Jets of 2009 wore primarily green. Also while the Jets were from the east coat, and more specifically the north east, the Seahawks are from the west coast, and more specifically the north west. So I suppose they have the north part in common. Also, the 2009 Jets played in the AFC East which consisted of the Patriots, Dolphins and Bills while the 2012 Seahawks play in the NFC west which consists of the Rams, Cardinals & 49ers. Also the 2012 Seahawks are coached by Pete Carroll while the 2009 Jets were coached by Rex Ryan who looked like he may have eaten Pete Carroll. Although based on Pete Carroll's continued existence as somebody who has not been eaten it would appear that possibility is at least mostly false. Also the 2009 Jets had to travel west to play the teams in the western side of the US while the 2012 Seahawks have to travel east to play the teams on the eastern side of the US. This is obviously a big difference. Both teams have used primarily air travel to arrive at their "away" destinations so they do have that in common.

The whole time I read this, I read it in the voice of Johnny the effeminate guy from the movie Airplane!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
CANHawk":3t60h1h1 said:
Zebulon Dak":3t60h1h1 said:

The whole time I read this, I read it in the voice of Johnny the effeminate guy from the movie Airplane!
Really? I read it in the voice of Robin Leach.

suppaball

Reaction score
Scottemojo":195x11tg said:
CANHawk":195x11tg said:
Zebulon Dak":195x11tg said:

Really? I read it in the voice of Robin Leach.
I read it in the voice of Tyler Durden.

dunceface

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3p222vfg said:

I read it in Leslie Nielson's voice for some reason...

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The Jets...?

4-4 @ home
5-3 on the road.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
CANHawk":3hax4ic7 said:
Zebulon Dak":3hax4ic7 said:

Morgan Freeman.....although almost everything I read is now narrated by Morgan Freeman...including this sentence.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
I sure hope we aren't the 2009 Jets. I don't wanna suck like ass in 3 years!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am more concerned that we may be like the 86 Hawks.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I see another major difference between the Seahawks of now and the Jets of then: We aren't signing big-name, overpaid free agents in the hopes of winning now.