PC is not all huggs and pats on the back side!

TaterHawk

Reaction score
As they came off for the half I watch PC walk past Clemons (low key, no eye contact but had some words for Chris) ..Clemons went OFF! No idea what it was about, but it seems coach is not just a cheerleader

hidn

Reaction score
Anyone have a video of this? I have never seen one of the players flip out at pete on the sideline, or elsewhere.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
Saw a bit of that when I got home from the game I washed a few minutes of the TV broadcast. Looked like Clem was pissed about the holding that was going on, at one point he grabbed his collar and tugged on it. I'm guessing he was venting at Pete so he would say something to the Refs. Just a guess though for all I know Pete could of told him to "Suck it up Butter cup."

-The Glove-

Reaction score
dbsn2420":165z9rgh said:
Saw a bit of that when I got home from the game I washed a few minutes of the TV broadcast. Looked like Clem was pissed about the holding that was going on, at one point he grabbed his collar and tugged on it. I'm guessing he was venting at Pete so he would say something to the Refs. Just a guess though for all I know Pete could of told him to "Suck it up Butter cup."
That's what I thought too. Clemons was frustrated and looked like he was venting at Pete. Didn't look so much like he was flipping out on him.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I usually get up and fix lunch, use the bathroom or do whatever I need to get done so I can watch the second half uninterrupted, so I didn't notice this when it happened. I just went to the DVR and watched it, and he really did seem to be venting about something, and even as Pete continued into the locker room moving further ahead, Clem kept jawing. I take this as more that he was venting to anyone within earshot, and not so much AT the coach. Pete did have his game face on and didn't seem to be very happy for a guy going into the half with a lead and coming out with the ball.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The problem with Clemons is he's every bit of what is wrong with the Seahawk pass rush as he is with what is right with it. He's ultra inconsistent. At the end of the year, he has amasses double figure sack totals but if you look at the whole picture, it just amounts to having a few great games. It's either all or nothing. Guys like Jared Allen, JJ Watt, Clay Matthews are consistent in their production every game. Clemons is not.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Methinks you're really overstating it a bit on Matthews. He had 6 stacks after week 2. 3 since. He had 3 tackles and no sacks against our very own Hawks. I was completely unimpressed with him. He has 1 whole pass defended all year. He's a guy that can absolutely dominate in a specific game, but he can also completely disappear. Sounds a bit like how you're describing Clem.

I'm sorry, but I think Matthews is one of the more overrated athletes in professional sports. He came out again this year like gangbusters in game 1 and 2 and since.... production has dropped like a rock. Sure he's really marketable because of his hair, sack dance, and the fact that he's pretty funny in commercials, but in all honesty I don't think he's anywhere near the talent that his uncle Bruce was. He was probably one of the top 5 players at his position to ever play the game. I don't think you could say the same about the Clay that is playing now. Even Clay's father was a really great player and played forever. I think Clay and Bruce played like 40 years combined. They weren't marketing machines, they were just great players who brought it every single game.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Those might have been Mathews final numbers against us, and really that means we did our job but I thought he was a pain in the ass all day long in that game and we were constantly having to account for him. Being constantly disruptive even if the results aren't a tackle or a sack only helps the entire team and makes extra attention needed to be paid on one player.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sack leaders are never consistent. They rack up sacks in one game, then go quiet the next. That's not to say they aren't getting pressure on the QB, perhaps, however, no one is or perhaps they're being held in check and that allows someone else to get free. It's just the nature of the position.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
PC was chatting it up with him on the sidelines Q2 as well. I am sure he was trying to light a fire under his butt and get him off the ball quicker

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Shane Falco":hnzay6cl said:
Those might have been Mathews final numbers against us, and really that means we did our job but I thought he was a pain in the ass all day long in that game and we were constantly having to account for him. Being constantly disruptive even if the results aren't a tackle or a sack only helps the entire team and makes extra attention needed to be paid on one player.

And I feel the same way about Clemons. He's always disruptive, even if he isn't getting sacks. Same with Brandon Mebane from a middle DT position.

Disruption is the key. Cortez used to take 3 guy on himself. Mike Sinclair and Mike McCrary looked very good because of it.

I just think that Matthews isn't a guy who is supposedly getting sacks each game. He's not. He's got 31 tackles and 9 sacks. Really good numbers for an OLB/DE, but he has his ups and downs and isn't consistently getting 1 or 2 sacks a game. He typically is only getting on average about what? 4 tackles a game? That's good from his position, but he isn't an ILB collecting 150 tackles a year.

Defensive ends need to be judged differently, and I think if we're going to make that concession for superstar Fabio Matthews, then we should do the same for Chris Clemons, who has just about the same production and can take over games as well. Clemons works had every play too. He just doesn't have a bunch of commercial deals and such. As the saying goes... if he were playing in New York he'd be on a cereal box. I once remember I believe it was some New York mediot who I dislike, but actually agreed with say, "If Edgar Martinez played for the Yankees he'd have 2 cereals and 3 candy bars named after him." How right he was....