One trait I really love about Pete

pehawk

Reaction score
He'll pull a player immediately. Kearse was never thrown at again after his drop. And, that's the best way to handle young guys just learning. He'll get more from watching, and not being a goat in the game, IMO.

Kearse has the skill-set, hopefully he puts it together.

hawker84

Reaction score
lot of guys said , kearse will make a tough catch then turn around and drop a routine ball.. i'm a Coug, so i never saw him in college, all i saw was him in pre season and he looked good, lot of TOUGH catches.. then i saw him yesterday drop that easy, easy catch which would have been a sure 1st down.. right then i remembered the post on him... RW does not need recievers like that in the game, he already deals enough with the dropsies as it is...

iigakusei

Reaction score
I was worried you were going to say his use of the challenge flag.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
iigakusei":d4i7cyka said:

lol.........definitely not Pete's strong suit.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Seeing the play live, i agreed with the challenge.

Blitzfan

Reaction score
pehawk":1sk4g4u3 said:

Watching on TV, I thought it was a good challenge too. I still swear his right foot was on the sideline before he reached out with the ball to get the first down. But then again we never really got a good look at it. As soon as the challenge was thrown, Fox went to commercial. When they can back, all we got was a quick view from the far side of the field, naturally a view that was completely useless.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":2ur2qoz7 said:

I didn't. There were no conclusive camera angles to show that AP reached out AFTER he was out of bounds. IMO the challenge was more of a frustration on Pete's part that our D gave up another 3rd down conversion.

To forfeit a time out so early in the 2nd half during a close game is a huge gamble.

mikeak

Reaction score
What does the guys in the booth have access to? Seeing it live I agreed with the challenge. Seeing the first replay immediately I knew it was correctly called on the field.

Did PC wait to see if someone upstairs would comment on it - didn't look like it.......

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2q8jfmvh said:
pehawk":2q8jfmvh said:
I didn't. There were no conclusive camera angles to show that AP reached out AFTER he was out of bounds. IMO the challenge was more of a frustration on Pete's part that our D gave up another 3rd down conversion.

To forfeit a time out so early in the 2nd half during a close game is a huge gamble.
While I agree this may have been an element of the decision, I can only speculate about how much of a role the guys upstairs had in making his decision. What did they tell him, if anything? And how much did that play in his decision making process?

Or to broaden the question a bit, I would like to know who everyone was who spoke to Pete about it between the time the play happened and when he threw the flag, and what they said to him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BlueTalon":340u5spl said:
Or to broaden the question a bit, I would like to know who everyone was who spoke to Pete about it between the time the play happened and when he threw the flag, and what they said to him.

From what I've heard, each team's booth people are privy to the same camera shots we are at home..........so in the 10 seconds it took Pete to pull out his challenge flag, who told him it looked worth challenging? Cause none of the camera angles we all saw showed even close to convincing evidence to overturn.

Again I think it went down like this:

Pete to the booth: "did AP extend AFTER he was out?"
Booth: "It sure looked like it live, but from the replays, hard to tell"
Pete: *throws flag*

kidhawk

Reaction score
Blitzfan":26ehl5fo said:
pehawk":26ehl5fo said:

Watching on TV, I thought it was a good challenge too. I still swear his right foot was on the sideline before he reached out with the ball to get the first down. But then again we never really got a good look at it. As soon as the challenge was thrown, Fox went to commercial. When they can back, all we got was a quick view from the far side of the field, naturally a view that was completely useless.

During FOX's commercial break, I hit rewind on my dvr and watched it frame by frame. It was clearly stretched beyond the marker before the foot steps out of bounds.

Although I don't think I would have challenged that particular call, I don't really call this a horrible use of the replay system. I do wonder who is in charge of calling down from upstairs for these replay calls though....that guy might need replacing or a better pair of glasses

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
BlueTalon":38szwlqs said:
Let's re-instate the Warrren Commission. They'll get to the bottom of this.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Braylon spent six weeks in Pete's doghouse after the Cardinals game. Only averaged 7 snaps a game during that span. Speaks volumes about how Pete interpreted that final almost-TD play.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Sgt. Largent":3jof1brx said:
BlueTalon":3jof1brx said:

From what I've heard, each team's booth people are privy to the same camera shots we are at home..........so in the 10 seconds it took Pete to pull out his challenge flag, who told him it looked worth challenging? Cause none of the camera angles we all saw showed even close to convincing evidence to overturn.

Again I think it went down like this:

Pete to the booth: "did AP extend AFTER he was out?"
Booth: "It sure looked like it live, but from the replays, hard to tell"
Pete: *throws flag*

Thing is, it was a decent use of a timeout anyway, regardless of the challenge. If he would have simply called a timeout there, no one would have said much. He tried for a two-for-one there, and only got one. It happens.

And regarding the op, yes, I like that. Guys know what they're getting into here. Less diva-ish actions because of it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1q90kl3e said:
iigakusei":1q90kl3e said:

lol.........definitely not Pete's strong suit.
Whoever is Pete's "eye in the sky" needs to get it together. A lot of those challenges are based on the info Pete is getting from whoever is up in the booth and has the better view of the field and access to replays.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Hell, let's send both Kearse and the "eye in the sky" back to the practice squad!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":it6u5pno said:
Thing is, it was a decent use of a timeout anyway, regardless of the challenge.

How was it a decent use of a timeout? No coach would agree that using a timeout early in the 3rd quarter in a tight game where you might need a last drive with barely any time left is possible.

Even Pete admits he's had some bad challenges this year...........this is one of them.

kearly

Reaction score
I was really hoping Kearse would wait for his 10th or 20th target before having a brutal drop. Taking him out of the game might have been the right thing to do, but I was really hoping Kearse would get a chance at redemption in the 4th quarter when the game was salted away. Before 2011, I actually hated Kearse. In 2011, he had a relatively drop free season, but also produced less. Right now I feel somewhat indifferent about him, but I also know that if he can conquer his drop problem, he's absolutely an NFL caliber WR. You don't let those kind of players go without a fight, especially when they are making the UDFA league minimum.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I like that about Pete, too (re: OP). Reminds me of a high school coach that takes no crap but doesn't make a big deal of it. You execute, you'll play. You don't, you won't. Simple and straight forward.