Two to replace next offseason: Leon and Breno

SoCalHawk

Reaction score
Leon Washington is on his way out. Washed up. He has had plenty of chances, and in this NFL era where good teams have electric kick returners he doesn't cut it anymore. Sure, he has been stellar throughout his career, but he is about done. We need to draft that young KR stud, or identify him on the roster, and plan for the future.

I will never buy that Breno Giacomini is a starting caliber RT. He is responsible for the majority of negative runs by Lynch, and how many more times can we watch him get bull rushed and stumble his way directly back toward Wilson? He has no strength, very little technique, and his nastiness costs us in penalties. He has consistently looked like a turnstile over the course of the season. Against good rushers you almost feel bad for him, the way he gets tossed back. Its disgusting to watch and I hope we address it.

I believe that addressing these two spots, in addition to WR, we will be in great shape.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I don't think Giacomini is that bad, but thats a position worth upgrading, same with Leon, he's reliable, but its worth looking around for a player that has more explosiveness. I love Leon though.

Hawks46

Reaction score
WR and RT are probably the first two positions I hope they address in the offseason.

Rice is returning to form, and I'm happy with him. Tate is also looking pretty damn good at times, and we finally saw the bubble screen to him be effective. He's also sturdy; Baldwin would be out 3 weeks with the beating Tate took today. The problem is our 3rd - 5th WRs. They aren't very good and we need to improve depth.

Washington is still rated at the top of the NFC in KR average. Almost all of his kick off return chances were out of the end zone. Minnesota's ST's outplayed ours today; Washington got very little blocking, and you could see his frustration on that last punt return where he tried to reverse his field and ran backwards a bit. He was just trying to make something happen.

I totally agree with the RT. I'm also not enthused with our RG position. Moffitt seems decent when he's in there, but he's hurt all the time. I could see us drafting all along the OL in the middle rounds to improve depth.

purpleworld

Reaction score
I agree that we need a playmaking receiver for sure....i'm ok with Breno and Leon though!

ensett

Reaction score
Definitely agree with Breno. There isn't much to say about him other than he isn't really that special, and is often a bonehead

kmedic

Reaction score
I think it's too early to call it quits on either, especially Leon. He's had several key returns for us this season that have either won the game for us (NE) or at least put us in position to win (Arizona, St Louis). He's been a little quiet the past few weeks but you can't expect an explosive return every game. I think to a certain extent he's spoiled us. As for Breno, he's adequate but I agree could be upgradeable. I wouldn't spend a high draft pick though on another offensive lineman next season.

NJHawksFan

Reaction score
Isn't Leon one of the top returners as far as yards go? Yeah he hasn't taken one to the house yet, but his blocking hasn't been great either. I recall him having a huge impact at the end of the Patriots game returning a punt to midfield.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Leon is still Leon if you ask me. I love the dude and hate some of the decisions he makes. Always trying to make a play and that sometimes can lead to bad decisions when there isn't anything there. There's times it seems pretty obvious he should take a knee, but other times you think that and he does make something happen, so idk. Same thing when he starts losing yardage running backward. One thing for sure, dude has as much heart as any. I love watching that dude take it back for 80 yards and get up and be pissed at himself cause he didn't get that last 20 while everyone else is going crazy for what he did do.

OP
OP
S

SoCalHawk

Reaction score
NJHawksFan":pkf82i4l said:
Isn't Leon one of the top returners as far as yards go? Yeah he hasn't taken one to the house yet, but his blocking hasn't been great either. I recall him having a huge impact at the end of the Patriots game returning a punt to midfield.

This is a great question, anyone have access to yards per return statistics?

I feel much more strongly that Breno should be replaced than Washington, but his agility, cut back ability, and overall speed seems to be diminishing each game. He has also had costly fumbles, although he is typically reliable. Things he brings to the table are great vision, toughness, and leadership. I would advocate for grooming someone behind him. Identify a guy in the draft with crazy athleticism and have him learn from the best for a year.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Do you remember Locklear? Or the guy we drafted in ROund 1 to replace him? Giacomini is just fine.

As for Leon, he is trying to make plays out of nothing. The kick return is a joke in the league and he is above average in punt returns.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Leon IS at the top of the NFC for average. No way I am replacing him at this stage. Breno? Meh, I could either way on him right now. No one believes he's the long term solution at the position.

I believe we go LB and WR with our first two picks, then OL third and beyond. Of course this depends on what's available in the draft. I think our biggest need is LB for sure, just edging out WR.

And no, I don't believe we draft the LB in the first.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SoCalHawk":19qu7r4x said:
NJHawksFan":19qu7r4x said:

This is a great question, anyone have access to yards per return statistics?

I feel much more strongly that Breno should be replaced than Washington, but his agility, cut back ability, and overall speed seems to be diminishing each game. He has also had costly fumbles, although he is typically reliable. Things he brings to the table are great vision, toughness, and leadership. I would advocate for grooming someone behind him. Identify a guy in the draft with crazy athleticism and have him learn from the best for a year.

Grooming? That happened 20 years ago..... Players come ready to play anymore.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I don't think we should replace Breno just because I believe in continuity. Yeah, he makes dumb mistakes, but I think he can only get better.

Smoke

Reaction score
Breno isn't the most dominate rt to ever play, bit his attitude is exactly what we need. That guy plays PISSED.I think a lot of his problem is the RG play. I would much rather see a giant dirtbag RG drafted next year before we go and try to upgrade Breno.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I hope we go DT in the draft. Toughest position to find talent at later in/outside the draft. Aside from QB of course. Those guys don't grow on trees, as they say.

Happy

Reaction score
I don't think either one of those guys are replacement level players.

Breno is getting a bad rap right now, but I think it's an overreaction. Dude's the best pass blocking RT we've had in quite a few years and I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet. He just has to keep his rage between the whistles and he'll be fine.

Leon is a situational player that does what he does well. He's the momo of this squad imo.

Largent80

Reaction score
I hate BG's penalties, but to his credit he has limited them in the last few games, and as was pointed out earlier, he will more than likely get better.

Leon gives that dimension of the possibility of a big play every time he touches the ball.

Bottom line is I like both of them.

Wide receiver is the top priority in my estimation.

Latest posts