Only problem on run D today, missed tackles.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Not too worried. One week ago it was 3rd downs. Fixed that. This week it's missed tackles. At least it's not guys unable to get off blocks. Tackling is like catching the ball.... It can be fixed easier than other problems unlike being unable to get open, can't stay in the pocket, ect...

Look for an improvement against the Jets.

BillHawks

Reaction score
I would say 95% of those were on Adrian Peterson. To be honest I don't remember anyone else having the ball for them all game.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
BillHawks":2hoj81d8 said:
I would say 95% of those were on Adrian Peterson. To be honest I don't remember anyone else having the ball for them all game.

Great point. I mean, do you expect Shonn Greene to break as many tackles as Peterson?

hawk45

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3uoj5yg8 said:
Not too worried. One week ago it was 3rd downs. Fixed that. This week it's missed tackles. At least it's not guys unable to get off blocks. Tackling is like catching the ball.... It can be fixed easier than other problems unlike being unable to get open, can't stay in the pocket, ect...

Look for an improvement against the Jets.

It's been 3rd downs for quite some time, off and on so I don't think we should break out the party favors that we've "fixed" that. I think Christian Ponder fixed that for us this week and even he converted some against us early.

The D getting gashed by Gore and AP doesn't make them bad, that's silly, but it does mean those of us (myself included) that thought they were all-world run-stuffers have to adjust to the fact that they are not, in fact, all-world run-stuffers. They are capable of getting trashed against teams with an elite rushing attack. Not a fatal flaw.

What we do against a team with a short range passing attack is still unknown as well. Holes remain.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":166i46y7 said:
Misses tackles yes but there were also huge holes to run through.
agreed, and Wagner misread a lot plays which lead to AP gashing the defense.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Any time you give up so many yards on the ground, there's reson for cncern. The good news is we won't likely see AP again this year. AP is a monster and very, very hard to prepare for. It's like trying to train for Manny Pacquiao. You just can't find anyone to play his role in training. When the bell rings, you're like...holy sh*t. We saw this today and I'm happy ankles were'nt broken. ;)

There is no question we have work left to do with this team, but I for one am enjoying the work we've done to date. Good times and better times ahead.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It wasn't so much the missed tackles as it was the gaping holes he had to run through.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I saw a lot of overpursuit by our LBers. It's actually worse than a missed tackle, since you misread the play and weren't anywhere near enough to make a tackle.

It's mostly rookie growing pains, I'm not too worried about it. Our defense is young, as long as they can watch film, recognize the problems, and fix them then they will get better.

I look for progression. It matters how we play at the end of the year (as long as we're in the playoff hunt). We shored up the pass defense, but our run defense suffered.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
HawkWow":2xhazdd3 said:
Any time you give up so many yards on the ground, there's reson for cncern. The good news is we won't likely see AP again this year. AP is a monster and very, very hard to prepare for. It's like trying to train for Manny Pacquiao. You just can't find anyone to play his role in training. When the bell rings, you're like...holy sh*t. We saw this today and I'm happy ankles were'nt broken. ;)

There is no question we have work left to do with this team, but I for one am enjoying the work we've done to date. Good times and better times ahead.

Yes but we have to see Frank Gore again.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":f3salf93 said:
Misses tackles yes but there were also huge holes to run through.

I am with you on that. What is worrying me most is the play up front by our D line.