Worst play call challenge.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The rules: Only one of the vast assortment of bad calls from the entire season may be described. This isn't a thread for bad plays, but more for ill conceived or poorly timed play calls. Right off the top of my head I can think of a handful so bad that a circa 2010 right fade on 4th and 1 from Mr. Bates looks good.
Bevell, here's mud in your eye.

1st quarter, 11:18 mark vs Detroit. 2nd and 12. A smoke screen right to Sidney Rice.
Problem number one: The Lions are in man coverage. The two blockers, a TE and another WR, block the guy right across from them.
Problem number two: Rice's guy is right on the line of scrimmage. When Rice steps back 3 steps for the quick hitter, the Detroit CB just runs downhill.
Loss of 4. One of the worst play designs I have ever seen, and it is just the kind of playcall that demands an abort button. Seriously, a screen pass to a press covered WR? That play was worse than a procedure penalty, it cost 4 yards and lost a down.

What U got?

zayden185

Reaction score
Alot of people havnt mentioned that right before the half...he are walking it down the field...need five more yards, throw, throw, throw..

One timeout left

Draw to turbin. Tackles, last timeout...incomplete to the side line

61 yard field gaol 3 yards short

Run lynch and hope she breaks a tackle or run the little dive option...I think we want to be cute and not get the best players the ball

Maybe run the dive option to lynch. The bracers are up, have Wilson best the LB to the sideline. Still have one time out and enough for another play if needed but sheesh...

That my friends...and we are up 20 to 7 at half time?

grizbob

Reaction score
me thinketh thou hast opened a largeth can of worms :shock:

seedhawk

Reaction score
Would you think a Qb with enough brains to pour piss out of a boot would have changed that play to something else Scott? Or, is Wilson just running what is called no matter what he see's?

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
seedhawk":3uldowfb said:
Would you think a Qb with enough brains to pour piss out of a boot would have changed that play to something else Scott? Or, is Wilson just running what is called no matter what he see's?
By the time they got to the line on that one, there wasn't much time for a kill kill kill. And screens don't often have much of a bail out plan because the line call is pretty much going to leave the QB hanging. Besides, I doubt the Rook has the option to get too crazy with changing calls right now.

First rule of calling a screen play of any kind is leaving enough time to change the play if the D looks bad for it. That play call was terrible all around.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Well, I would say the EXECUTION was bad all around. If we just take a delay penalty, we only lose 5 yards but still have the down. If Wilson just keeps the ball he probably could gain a yard or two, which makes the play positive instead of negative.

Or, was Bevel investing that play to set something up later from the same formation?

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
seedhawk":29jq0e4x said:
Well, I would say the EXECUTION was bad all around. If we just take a delay penalty, we only lose 5 yards but still have the down. If Wilson just keeps the ball he probably could gain a yard or two, which makes the play positive instead of negative.

Or, was Bevel investing that play to set something up later from the same formation?
On 2nd and 12? I doubt it
Now we are getting off track. We need your worst play call, Seed. Come on, I know you got one.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Any of the empty backfield goal to go time running down and we have ALL our shortest recievers lined up. No Rb so no doubt what is happening, and create no mismatch anywhere.

SirTed

Reaction score
seedhawk":2vyf9dlp said:
Any of the empty backfield goal to go time running down and we have ALL our shortest recievers lined up. No Rb so no doubt what is happening, and create no mismatch anywhere.

Thank you for posting this. Seriously. I complain about our ridiculous use of empty sets all the time and I'm just happy someone else agrees.

As for the contest:

dead heat between QB draw to Wilson (out of an empty set on 3rd and short in the RZ) and
Fake FB Dive, Pitch out to Marshawn (again, 3rd and short)

I hate the second one only because running a play like that doesn't suit Lynch at all.

Oh wait....

I forgot about the option play...geez. How's a guy supposed to pick?

Jase

Reaction score
I'll add, just for fun - onside kick to start 2nd half against Rams. When your opponent has a kicker that can kick a 60 yarder with no problem, this is just bone-headed.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Jase":91t8bsz3 said:
I'll add, just for fun - onside kick to start 2nd half against Rams. When your opponent has a kicker that can kick a 60 yarder with no problem, this is just bone-headed.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.

aku

Reaction score
My least favorite call of the season was probably the option in week three, on 3rd and 1 from the GB 16 with 5:00 left in the game. I still can't understand why that play would be called in that situation. Bad enough to call it on 3rd down, where failure means the end of the drive. Worse to call it with one yard to go when you've got three better options (Lynch, FB Sneak, QB Sneak). Moronic to do that inside the red zone. When you add the fact that there were five minutes on the clock and the game was on the line, it's incomprehensible. Just didn't make any sense at all.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
A few that come to mind:

Probably that 3rd down Option run in the 4th quarter of the St Louis(?) game...so effing stupid and ugly!! Feed the beast Bevel, don't get cute.

Also, Leon Washington up the middle on 3rd and long in the 2nd(?) quarter of the Niners game. He lost a yard or 2 and we had to try a 60 yard field goal. Again Bevel, feed the damn beast if you are playing for a field goal there!

the stupid fate route to Charly Martin(?) on the final possession against Zona. Fades hardly ever work, and there was no way that QB-WR combo was going to pull that off.

seedhawk

Reaction score
This thread could well get out of hand simply because there have been so many bone-headed choices, and we as fans will never know if it was execution, a check-off, or simply running the play called.

Another of my favorites is to throw a back corner of the end zone fade to a Tate instead of an Edwards.

zayden185

Reaction score
Hate to say it but I'd like to see Sark and Pete reunited

Dark Is great for UW...don't think they can do much better but the play calling aspect is what I was thinking

Fudwamper

Reaction score
SirTed":1ph41cqk said:
seedhawk":1ph41cqk said:

Thank you for posting this. Seriously. I complain about our ridiculous use of empty sets all the time and I'm just happy someone else agrees.

As for the contest:

I hate the second one only because running a play like that doesn't suit Lynch at all.

Disagree completely. We have ran that play so many times for a first down on 3rd and 1. The difference being it usually goes to Robinson up the middle. We ran that play 3 times to him the fourth is the toss to lynch and the fifth in Detroit again back to Robinson.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Fudwamper":1qt21y28 said:
SirTed":1qt21y28 said:
seedhawk":1qt21y28 said:

As for the contest:

Disagree completely. We have ran that play so many times for a first down on 3rd and 1. The difference being it usually goes to Robinson up the middle. We ran that play 3 times to him the fourth is the toss to lynch and the fifth in Detroit again back to Robinson.

Um, did you somehow miss the "empty backfield" part there?