Wilson's next conquest: Improvment in the 3rd quarter

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Last year we rocked the 3rd quarter. It is a mystery to me.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
It's his rookie learning curve. The defense makes halftime adjustments and it takes him time to adjust in return. He'll probably get better at it over time. One hopes. Why Luck, RG3, Tannehill and even Tweetybird aren't as troubled by it is curious.

hawker84

Reaction score
is it him having a hard time adjusting to the apponents halftime adjustments or his coaching staff? i see a bit of both if not more on the coaching.. after all he's running the play's they call.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1smw9qtg said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/80168/russell-wilsons-next-challenge-3rd-quarter

The results clear, however. Only Sam Bradford (9.5), Philip Rivers (8.1) and John Skelton (2.8) have lower third-quarter QBR scores than Wilson for the season.

Lol that is bad.

You are a glass half empty kind of dude.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Its the return of the seahawk doldrums! This was a trademark of the Mike Holmgren era. We always came out flat after halftime. I remember being at so many games and practically nodding off because the 3rd quarter was so boring.

i think the reason for the team's 3rd quarter struggles this year is that other teams have been doing a very good job of adjusting to the hawks in the second half. Look at the Packers and 49ers for example. They made changes that were really effective. Our staff needs to be able to combat that more effectively.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2jsvrikv said:
Its the return of the seahawk doldrums! This was a trademark of the Mike Holmgren era. We always came out flat after halftime. I remember being at so many games and practically nodding off because the 3rd quarter was so boring.

i think the reason for the team's 3rd quarter struggles this year is that other teams have been doing a very good job of adjusting to the hawks in the second half. Look at the Packers and 49ers for example. They made changes that were really effective. Our staff needs to be able to combat that more effectively.

It's a really odd thing, because our staff seemed to be pretty adept at halftime adjustments last season.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1hm11467 said:
hawksfan515":1hm11467 said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/80168/russell-wilsons-next-challenge-3rd-quarter

The results clear, however. Only Sam Bradford (9.5), Philip Rivers (8.1) and John Skelton (2.8) have lower third-quarter QBR scores than Wilson for the season.

Lol that is bad.

You are a glass half empty kind of dude.

Your right, Wilson being very bad in the 3rd quarter has obviously not contributed to our 4-4 record and inability to put the game away.

Also, I'm one of the biggest Wilson supporters here. Just saying.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
volsunghawk":152yg4x7 said:
Missing_Clink":152yg4x7 said:

It's a really odd thing, because our staff seemed to be pretty adept at halftime adjustments last season.

I agree I think the team has been pretty good at halftime adjustment. But let's look at 2 games-- Against GB and SF, Seattle BARELY had the ball in the 3rd quarter because our defense couldn't get off the field. So I think that in some respects he's so bad in the 3rd QTR is due to the limited possession we've had in the 3rd quarter in several games.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
volsunghawk":397dr69y said:
Missing_Clink":397dr69y said:

Not really very odd. If you had something that was working for you in the first half, why change a thing? It's the opponent that must adjust to you. We might be able to counteract some of that if Wilson is given more lattitude.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
You know, somehow I don't think this is endemic of just Wilson, but instead the offense as a whole. An offense's affectiveness and efficiency is not 100% on the qb. Yes, a lot of it is on the qb. But it's also a comination of the playcalling & you know, those other 10 guys on the field. The SEAHAWKS have a problem with the 3rd qtr. Not just Wilson.

But like every other issue Wilson encounters, I fully expect him to improve on it as he goes on.

niveky

Reaction score
the funny thing is the 4th quarter is his best rated quarter. 95.9...even better than his 95.1 rating for the first quarter....if he can get that 3rd quarter figured out...he is going to be scary good.

Galen96

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed over the last 2 seasons is that when we enter the 3rd quarter with the lead, we usually take a turn for the worst... however.. if we enter the 3rd down, we usually come out and light it up. They make fantastic adjustments.. It's the lack of adjustments when doing well that intrigues me.. Shouldn't they consider changing it up, even if just a little, to keep the other team on their heels?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Galen96":p6oeb9jp said:
One thing I've noticed over the last 2 seasons is that when we enter the 3rd quarter with the lead, we usually take a turn for the worst... however.. if we enter the 3rd down, we usually come out and light it up. They make fantastic adjustments.. It's the lack of adjustments when doing well that intrigues me.. Shouldn't they consider changing it up, even if just a little, to keep the other team on their heels?
Yeah, this is true. I have tried to figure out why and come up with nothing but speculation. I do dread that first 3 and out in the 3rd quarter when we have the lead at the half, and you can set your watch by it.

THat third quarter against the Panthers was horrid. Fumble, pick 6, tip drill interception. facepalm.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Galen96":3891hky9 said:

That's the puzzle. Do you take a chance on short-circuiting something that has been working, or do you try to anticipate the adjustments the opponent will make, which would almost be like adjusting to a ghost.

You could just switch to somthing else for the sake of changing up to keep the opponent off balance, but is our offense good enough to do that yet?

The Minn. game will be interesting to watch. I doubt we will make any half-time adjustment unless offense in unproductive, their tearing up our D, or both. What I'm really interested in seeing is how our 'D' does when our big corners are asked to basically play man to man against the short game. :th2thumbs: They will be up against some shifty sons-a-guns.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
niveky":53dt15wi said:
the funny thing is the 4th quarter is his best rated quarter. 95.9...even better than his 95.1 rating for the first quarter....if he can get that 3rd quarter figured out...he is going to be scary good.

Right??? This is the one reason we should all be estactic right now...... In the one area T-Jack came short (4th quarter, mainly game winning drives) Wilson already looks very good in that area, and already has MORE game winning drives as a Hawk than T-jack did, and the seasons only halfway over!

We just need that 3rd quarter improvement so we can finally drive the nail into some teams hearts, you know? Nailbiters every game are not so fun.