Calling on .NET braintrust about Jermaine Kearse...

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I know nothing about him. Can this kid catch, run good routes? I don't watch college ball, so was he huge for the Huskies? Yeah, I could look it up, but thought I'd dedicate a thread dedicated strictly to this kid, and tap the braintrust in this forum to inform our members that are also in the dark about him. I keep seeing mention of "Kearse sucks" and "Kearse rocks" in other threads. So which is it?

A Blue Buzz-Saw has emerged from the Pacific Northwest. Prepare, NFL.

SEAHAWKS, 2014. Coming soon...
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• I'm in the camp that he sucks. He seems to do everything really well except catch the ball, which unfortunatly for him is the primary job of a receiver in teh NFL.

But, i'm a Duck, so i'm biased. All i know is that everytime i watched Husky games he was good for a drop or two. Of course, now that he's a Seahawk i'm hoping he's the 2nd coming of Brian Blades.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:Of course, now that he's a Seahawk i'm hoping he's the 2nd coming of Brian Blades.

I was more hoping Paul Skansi, but I'm old school! :D

A Blue Buzz-Saw has emerged from the Pacific Northwest. Prepare, NFL.

SEAHAWKS, 2014. Coming soon...
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• BlueThunder wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Of course, now that he's a Seahawk i'm hoping he's the 2nd coming of Brian Blades.

I was more hoping Paul Skansi, but I'm old school! :D

No, you're O L D,, O L D school :16:
    Pretty good athlete, he's fast, played Football, Basketball, and Track, and was a standout in all three.
    Last edited by scutterhawk on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• He drove me BONKERS at UDub. Think Djack in '03-'04 - yes - the DROPS. He made drops in crucial times and rarely made a play to help out his QB. But, somehow, I believe he ended up in some record books at UDub however.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Husky fan here, as well. Drops, drops, drops. Hopefully our coaching staff has worked with him. He'll catch the hard ones, but don't put it on him, cause he's gonna drop it.

Crossing my fingers...
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

• Drops and not that explosive without too much size.

But I think he could do a little. He made a ton of plays for us over the years. Let's just hope he doesn't get put into a role where he is anything more than a third/fourth reciever or so.

The blocking and knowledge of a west coast offense helps. There's a good article over on Fieldgulls about him, but I'm to lazy to link it.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• Wait a second, .net has a brain trust? :sarcasm_off:
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• oh, you didn't get one?
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• The Hawks are scraping the bottom of the barrel with Kerse. Kasen Williams was better as a freshman IMO then Kerse was as a senior.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

• Greenhell wrote:Wait a second, .net has a brain trust? :sarcasm_off:

It's like one of those trust funds where you can't touch the money till you grow up. Their brains are being kept in trust until they show signs of maturity.

It's a very large fund....
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• He's the kind of guy that can make the great catch but not the easy ones. Big time guy in the fourth quarter of games though. Came through a lot. Don't know if he has the strength or quickness to excel in the NFL. The dropsies would drive me nuts, BYU in 2010, god in heaven that was infuriating.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• Can be iffy with the hands, but has a propensity for the big play when it counts. Drops were a concern in college but he looked better at camp and didn't have a bad preseason.

Off the field, seems to be a nice guy. Saw him sign an autograph away from VMAC and take a picture with a kid whose dad was (obviously) wearing a Husky tee. Hope he becomes a superstar so that becomes ultra-triple-mega-deluxe special.
    Founding Father of the Bevell-Be-Gone Movement

Currently riding SHOTGUN on the Russell Wilson bandwagon.

Renton Chapter Seahawkers Booster Club
    Section 316 @ CenturyLink Field

Kuendelea Mwewe - Go Hawks
    SilkMonkey
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• SilkMonkey wrote:Can be iffy with the hands, but has a propensity for the big play when it counts. Drops were a concern in college but he looked better at camp and didn't have a bad preseason.

Off the field, seems to be a nice guy. Saw him sign an autograph away from VMAC and take a picture with a kid whose dad was (obviously) wearing a Husky tee. Hope he becomes a superstar so that becomes ultra-triple-mega-deluxe special.

But has anyone seen him at the gas station? :stirthepot:
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• I posted this yesterday from Seattle Times blog....

Jermaine has done a very good job," Carroll said. "He has impressed everybody in everything he has done. He is going to be involved in special teams this week, extensively. He has made great impressions so we're fortunate to have him available to pop up."

Update: Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell talked about Kearse's talents after Seattle's practice Wednesday: "I like what I've seen on scout team. We've seen him a little bit in the preseason. He made some big plays for us. Running routes against our defense, he does a nice job. He can get some separation, he can get open. He catches the ball well. He has done that on scout team. That's got to be able to carry over. There's a lot of new stuff for him. He has been in every meeting from Day One so he knows the concepts, he knows the routes, but now he's going to be out there running them in the game for the first time. He's a rookie so he's got to be able to step up. He's got to be able to make the plays, and just show what he's done on the scout team on game day. Run your route the same way. Catch the ball the same way. But sometimes there's so many other factors for those guys. Hopefully he shows up well."
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:I posted this yesterday from Seattle Times blog....

Jermaine has done a very good job," Carroll said. "He has impressed everybody in everything he has done. He is going to be involved in special teams this week, extensively. He has made great impressions so we're fortunate to have him available to pop up."

Update: Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell talked about Kearse's talents after Seattle's practice Wednesday: "I like what I've seen on scout team. We've seen him a little bit in the preseason. He made some big plays for us. Running routes against our defense, he does a nice job. He can get some separation, he can get open. He catches the ball well. He has done that on scout team. That's got to be able to carry over. There's a lot of new stuff for him. He has been in every meeting from Day One so he knows the concepts, he knows the routes, but now he's going to be out there running them in the game for the first time. He's a rookie so he's got to be able to step up. He's got to be able to make the plays, and just show what he's done on the scout team on game day. Run your route the same way. Catch the ball the same way. But sometimes there's so many other factors for those guys. Hopefully he shows up well."

Those words are not brimming with confidence, are they?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Think Carroll is saying practice is different than games.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:I'm in the camp that he sucks. He seems to do everything really well except catch the ball, which unfortunatly for him is the primary job of a receiver in teh NFL.

But, i'm a Duck, so i'm biased. All i know is that everytime i watched Husky games he was good for a drop or two. Of course, now that he's a Seahawk i'm hoping he's the 2nd coming of Brian Blades.

Funny, cuz his team mates say he has the best hands on the team...
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

• EmbattleTheeHawks wrote:I know nothing about nothing but saw but saw a clip on .com with Rice saying he is the best catcher of the ball on the team! that's not saying much some weeks mind you. He had one nice catch in the preseason I remember though.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000052007/Kearse-skies-for-37-yard-gain

Sidney really doesn't think much about his fellow receivers does he?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Schadie001 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I'm in the camp that he sucks. He seems to do everything really well except catch the ball, which unfortunatly for him is the primary job of a receiver in teh NFL.

Funny, cuz his team mates say he has the best hands on the team...

His actual pass catching history suggests otherwise. He isn't worried about getting whacked in practice, in a real game those passes right in his numbers have had a funny way of hitting the ground. Make an errant throw, however, and Kearse has shown a knack for the spectacular. Concentration is the issue.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Looked pretty good with the exception of the post/corner route he blew in the end zone in this video of UW vs Baylor in the Alamo Bowl in 2011.

Rose City Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Outstanding at going up and getting the ball. Also he always created separation quite easily. He found himself open often. Had some trouble hanging on to the slants, but he was coordinated, so I think it was more of a concentration thing than a fundamental thing. 15 TD's one year I if I remember right. 2nd best WR stats wise in UW History. Not as bad as many here are saying. I actually had him penciled as a pro from day one because he can go up an get it.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Creating separation definitely is his big thing. Pretty reliable, sometimes drops the ball, and a skilled special teams guy. Man, that sounds like Obo 2.0. The kid played local high school and college ball though and that alone makes me root twice as hard for him.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

• EmbattleTheeHawks wrote:I know nothing about nothing but saw but saw a clip on .com with Rice saying he is the best catcher of the ball on the team! that's not saying much some weeks mind you. He had one nice catch in the preseason I remember though.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000052007/Kearse-skies-for-37-yard-gain

Look at Ol' Hasselbeck making the tough catch in preseason....nice!
    chawx
    NET Veteran

• Some guys just play better at the pro-level (Richard Sherman) than they did in college.

Let's see what he does... AND NOT CRUCIFY HIM IF HES NOT ALL-PRO AFTER ONE GAME
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:Some guys just play better at the pro-level (Richard Sherman) than they did in college.

Let's see what he does... AND NOT CRUCIFY HIM IF HES NOT ALL-PRO AFTER ONE GAME

party pooper :domotwak:
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• I don't think we will see a lot of Kearse on offense this week with Baldwin now ready to go.

I think we'll see Kearse in on special teams and probably 10-12 snaps on offense.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• I haven't seen anyone crucify him at all. In college, he had trouble with the drops, aside from JSeahawks(A Oregon fan) everyone has been honest and pretty complimentary.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• seahawk2k wrote:I haven't seen anyone crucify him at all. In college, he had trouble with the drops, aside from JSeahawks(A Oregon fan) everyone has been honest and pretty complimentary.

Im talking any player we have acquired if they don't immediately have an impact because they're are those on this board who expect every player to be all pro regardless of experience or ability or parity.

Many people on this board have most definitely gone after Bruce Irvin, Russell Okung, James Carpenter, Golden Tate, Russell Wilson, Sidney Rice, Zac Miller, JR Sweezy, Jason Jones, and Brandon Browner because they don't have the patience for players to actually develop or acclimate to our system or the NFL in general. Very similar to this summer when people expected Brian Banks to make our team and become a starter. :34853_doh:

If we lose, and Kearse doesn't catch a TD, go for 100 yards, or god forbid drop a ball you can damn well expect pitchforks by certain members on this board.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• 12evanf wrote:Creating separation definitely is his big thing. Pretty reliable, sometimes drops the ball, and a skilled special teams guy. Man, that sounds like Obo 2.0. The kid played local high school and college ball though and that alone makes me root twice as hard for him.

This seems to be the aspect of the game that Russell would like to see more of. Russ can get rid of the ball very quickly when he sees a WR or TE get a step on the Defense.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Greenhell wrote:Wait a second, .net has a brain trust? :sarcasm_off:

Yah, like we're spose to TRUST that somewun here on .NET to have a brane?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Sounds more and more like he'll be another Lockette/Tate. Make a couple impressive freak catches, get people all excited, fade for three weeks, then make a couple more impressive freak catches, stoke the enthusiasm, fade for three more weeks, make a couple more impressive freak catches...
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• The negativity/cynicysm/degrading epople on this site bring towards fringe & role players is baffling. Like the Obo thread and people calling him a bust and a bum. How on earth is it that certain fans do not understan that every player on a roster is not expected to be all world? It baffles me that the concept of backups and role players is entirely lost on some people.
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information