Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Calling on .NET braintrust about Jermaine Kearse...
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:48 pm 
*Net Enemy Forum Guy*

I know nothing about him. Can this kid catch, run good routes? I don't watch college ball, so was he huge for the Huskies? Yeah, I could look it up, but thought I'd dedicate a thread dedicated strictly to this kid, and tap the braintrust in this forum to inform our members that are also in the dark about him. I keep seeing mention of "Kearse sucks" and "Kearse rocks" in other threads. So which is it?

A Blue Buzz-Saw has emerged from the Pacific Northwest. Prepare, NFL.

SEAHAWKS, 2014. Coming soon...

Post subject: Re: Calling on .NET braintrust about Jermaine Kearse...
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:51 pm 
* NET Moderator *

I'm in the camp that he sucks. He seems to do everything really well except catch the ball, which unfortunatly for him is the primary job of a receiver in teh NFL.

But, i'm a Duck, so i'm biased. All i know is that everytime i watched Husky games he was good for a drop or two. Of course, now that he's a Seahawk i'm hoping he's the 2nd coming of Brian Blades.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:54 pm 
*Net Enemy Forum Guy*

JSeahawks wrote:
Of course, now that he's a Seahawk i'm hoping he's the 2nd coming of Brian Blades.

I was more hoping Paul Skansi, but I'm old school! :D

A Blue Buzz-Saw has emerged from the Pacific Northwest. Prepare, NFL.

SEAHAWKS, 2014. Coming soon...

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:03 pm 
NET Veteran

BlueThunder wrote:
JSeahawks wrote:
Of course, now that he's a Seahawk i'm hoping he's the 2nd coming of Brian Blades.

I was more hoping Paul Skansi, but I'm old school! :D

No, you're O L D,, O L D school :16:
Pretty good athlete, he's fast, played Football, Basketball, and Track, and was a standout in all three.

Last edited by scutterhawk on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:13 pm 
* Report Button *

He drove me BONKERS at UDub. Think Djack in '03-'04 - yes - the DROPS. He made drops in crucial times and rarely made a play to help out his QB. But, somehow, I believe he ended up in some record books at UDub however.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:41 pm 
NET Veteran

Husky fan here, as well. Drops, drops, drops. Hopefully our coaching staff has worked with him. He'll catch the hard ones, but don't put it on him, cause he's gonna drop it.

Crossing my fingers...

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:58 pm 
NET Veteran

Drops and not that explosive without too much size.

But I think he could do a little. He made a ton of plays for us over the years. Let's just hope he doesn't get put into a role where he is anything more than a third/fourth reciever or so.

The blocking and knowledge of a west coast offense helps. There's a good article over on Fieldgulls about him, but I'm to lazy to link it.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:05 pm 
NET Veteran

Wait a second, .net has a brain trust? :sarcasm_off:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:17 pm 
NET Veteran

oh, you didn't get one?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:30 pm 
NET Starter

The Hawks are scraping the bottom of the barrel with Kerse. Kasen Williams was better as a freshman IMO then Kerse was as a senior.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:41 pm 
NET Veteran

Greenhell wrote:

It's like one of those trust funds where you can't touch the money till you grow up. Their brains are being kept in trust until they show signs of maturity.

It's a very large fund....

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:55 pm 
NET Veteran

He's the kind of guy that can make the great catch but not the easy ones. Big time guy in the fourth quarter of games though. Came through a lot. Don't know if he has the strength or quickness to excel in the NFL. The dropsies would drive me nuts, BYU in 2010, god in heaven that was infuriating.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:50 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Can be iffy with the hands, but has a propensity for the big play when it counts. Drops were a concern in college but he looked better at camp and didn't have a bad preseason.

Off the field, seems to be a nice guy. Saw him sign an autograph away from VMAC and take a picture with a kid whose dad was (obviously) wearing a Husky tee. Hope he becomes a superstar so that becomes ultra-triple-mega-deluxe special.

Currently riding SHOTGUN on the Russell Wilson bandwagon.

Renton Chapter Seahawkers Booster Club
Section 316 @ CenturyLink Field

Kuendelea Mwewe - Go Hawks

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:56 pm 
NET Veteran

SilkMonkey wrote:
Can be iffy with the hands, but has a propensity for the big play when it counts. Drops were a concern in college but he looked better at camp and didn't have a bad preseason.

Off the field, seems to be a nice guy. Saw him sign an autograph away from VMAC and take a picture with a kid whose dad was (obviously) wearing a Husky tee. Hope he becomes a superstar so that becomes ultra-triple-mega-deluxe special.

But has anyone seen him at the gas station? :stirthepot:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:24 am 
NET Practice Squad

I know nothing about nothing but saw but saw a clip on .com with Rice saying he is the best catcher of the ball on the team! that's not saying much some weeks mind you. He had one nice catch in the preseason I remember though.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000052007/Kearse-skies-for-37-yard-gain

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:31 am 
NET Ring Of Honor

I posted this yesterday from Seattle Times blog....

Jermaine has done a very good job," Carroll said. "He has impressed everybody in everything he has done. He is going to be involved in special teams this week, extensively. He has made great impressions so we're fortunate to have him available to pop up."

Update: Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell talked about Kearse's talents after Seattle's practice Wednesday: "I like what I've seen on scout team. We've seen him a little bit in the preseason. He made some big plays for us. Running routes against our defense, he does a nice job. He can get some separation, he can get open. He catches the ball well. He has done that on scout team. That's got to be able to carry over. There's a lot of new stuff for him. He has been in every meeting from Day One so he knows the concepts, he knows the routes, but now he's going to be out there running them in the game for the first time. He's a rookie so he's got to be able to step up. He's got to be able to make the plays, and just show what he's done on the scout team on game day. Run your route the same way. Catch the ball the same way. But sometimes there's so many other factors for those guys. Hopefully he shows up well."

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:06 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Largent80 wrote:
I posted this yesterday from Seattle Times blog....

Jermaine has done a very good job," Carroll said. "He has impressed everybody in everything he has done. He is going to be involved in special teams this week, extensively. He has made great impressions so we're fortunate to have him available to pop up."

Update: Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell talked about Kearse's talents after Seattle's practice Wednesday: "I like what I've seen on scout team. We've seen him a little bit in the preseason. He made some big plays for us. Running routes against our defense, he does a nice job. He can get some separation, he can get open. He catches the ball well. He has done that on scout team. That's got to be able to carry over. There's a lot of new stuff for him. He has been in every meeting from Day One so he knows the concepts, he knows the routes, but now he's going to be out there running them in the game for the first time. He's a rookie so he's got to be able to step up. He's got to be able to make the plays, and just show what he's done on the scout team on game day. Run your route the same way. Catch the ball the same way. But sometimes there's so many other factors for those guys. Hopefully he shows up well."

Those words are not brimming with confidence, are they?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:49 am 
NET Veteran

Think Carroll is saying practice is different than games.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:57 am 
NET Veteran

JSeahawks wrote:
I'm in the camp that he sucks. He seems to do everything really well except catch the ball, which unfortunatly for him is the primary job of a receiver in teh NFL.

But, i'm a Duck, so i'm biased. All i know is that everytime i watched Husky games he was good for a drop or two. Of course, now that he's a Seahawk i'm hoping he's the 2nd coming of Brian Blades.

Funny, cuz his team mates say he has the best hands on the team...

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:57 am 
* NET Baller *

EmbattleTheeHawks wrote:
I know nothing about nothing but saw but saw a clip on .com with Rice saying he is the best catcher of the ball on the team! that's not saying much some weeks mind you. He had one nice catch in the preseason I remember though.

Sidney really doesn't think much about his fellow receivers does he?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:00 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Schadie001 wrote:
JSeahawks wrote:

Funny, cuz his team mates say he has the best hands on the team...

His actual pass catching history suggests otherwise. He isn't worried about getting whacked in practice, in a real game those passes right in his numbers have had a funny way of hitting the ground. Make an errant throw, however, and Kearse has shown a knack for the spectacular. Concentration is the issue.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 am 
NET Veteran

Looked pretty good with the exception of the post/corner route he blew in the end zone in this video of UW vs Baylor in the Alamo Bowl in 2011.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:27 am 
NET Veteran

Here's some more film of him vs Nebraska. He can play special teams and with the loss of Obes we need him. Strong upper body should help him there.

Here's a pretty fair scout report on him for what it's worth.

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/wr/jermaine-kearse/

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:55 am 
NET Veteran

Outstanding at going up and getting the ball. Also he always created separation quite easily. He found himself open often. Had some trouble hanging on to the slants, but he was coordinated, so I think it was more of a concentration thing than a fundamental thing. 15 TD's one year I if I remember right. 2nd best WR stats wise in UW History. Not as bad as many here are saying. I actually had him penciled as a pro from day one because he can go up an get it.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 am 
NET Veteran

Creating separation definitely is his big thing. Pretty reliable, sometimes drops the ball, and a skilled special teams guy. Man, that sounds like Obo 2.0. The kid played local high school and college ball though and that alone makes me root twice as hard for him.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 am 
NET Veteran

EmbattleTheeHawks wrote:

Look at Ol' Hasselbeck making the tough catch in preseason....nice!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:08 am 
NET Veteran

Some guys just play better at the pro-level (Richard Sherman) than they did in college.

Let's see what he does... AND NOT CRUCIFY HIM IF HES NOT ALL-PRO AFTER ONE GAME

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:26 pm 
NET Veteran

Basis4day wrote:
Some guys just play better at the pro-level (Richard Sherman) than they did in college.

Let's see what he does... AND NOT CRUCIFY HIM IF HES NOT ALL-PRO AFTER ONE GAME

party pooper :domotwak:

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:34 pm 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

I don't think we will see a lot of Kearse on offense this week with Baldwin now ready to go.

I think we'll see Kearse in on special teams and probably 10-12 snaps on offense.

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:06 pm 
NET Veteran

I haven't seen anyone crucify him at all. In college, he had trouble with the drops, aside from JSeahawks(A Oregon fan) everyone has been honest and pretty complimentary.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:14 pm 
NET Veteran

seahawk2k wrote:
I haven't seen anyone crucify him at all. In college, he had trouble with the drops, aside from JSeahawks(A Oregon fan) everyone has been honest and pretty complimentary.

Im talking any player we have acquired if they don't immediately have an impact because they're are those on this board who expect every player to be all pro regardless of experience or ability or parity.

Many people on this board have most definitely gone after Bruce Irvin, Russell Okung, James Carpenter, Golden Tate, Russell Wilson, Sidney Rice, Zac Miller, JR Sweezy, Jason Jones, and Brandon Browner because they don't have the patience for players to actually develop or acclimate to our system or the NFL in general. Very similar to this summer when people expected Brian Banks to make our team and become a starter. :34853_doh:

If we lose, and Kearse doesn't catch a TD, go for 100 yards, or god forbid drop a ball you can damn well expect pitchforks by certain members on this board.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:15 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

12evanf wrote:
Creating separation definitely is his big thing. Pretty reliable, sometimes drops the ball, and a skilled special teams guy. Man, that sounds like Obo 2.0. The kid played local high school and college ball though and that alone makes me root twice as hard for him.

This seems to be the aspect of the game that Russell would like to see more of. Russ can get rid of the ball very quickly when he sees a WR or TE get a step on the Defense.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:21 pm 
NET Veteran

Greenhell wrote:

Yah, like we're spose to TRUST that somewun here on .NET to have a brane?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:56 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *

Sounds more and more like he'll be another Lockette/Tate. Make a couple impressive freak catches, get people all excited, fade for three weeks, then make a couple more impressive freak catches, stoke the enthusiasm, fade for three more weeks, make a couple more impressive freak catches...

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:18 pm 
NET Rookie

The negativity/cynicysm/degrading epople on this site bring towards fringe & role players is baffling. Like the Obo thread and people calling him a bust and a bum. How on earth is it that certain fans do not understan that every player on a roster is not expected to be all world? It baffles me that the concept of backups and role players is entirely lost on some people.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]