Pro Football Focus: Russell Wilson best NFC West QB

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... west-team/

Alex Smith looked set to have this position sewn up before his two horrible performances against the Giants and Seahawks made you realize the 49ers’ offense, is instead, limited by him. Instead, Wilson has performed above expectations and finds himself looking like a Top 10 quarterback.

Also making PFF's 1st half All-NFC West team: Marshawn Lynch, Sidney Rice, Chris Clemons, Brandon Mebane, Richard Sherman, Leon Washington, & Byron Maxwell.

VHawk

Reaction score
RW is maturating very quickly and it is awesome to watch.I love this kid!

OP
OP
H

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
Just like everyone says with Andrew Luck, there's no reason to think that Wilson isn't going to do nothing but get better as he grows and learns. This being his baseline introductory level of play with a weak supporting cast, IMO, is pretty awesome. The future is very bright.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":djepavtc said:
I do concur! Get the man some receivers!

His receivers are fine. Save for the SF game, they've done a good job. First half of the year.. Wilson was constantly missing open guys.. he's improving in this area week-by-week though (aside from missing Rice down the sidelines against Detroit)

Could we use a home run threat like a Mike Wallace.. probably.. but all in all, how much they suck is VERY overblown on this site.

pehawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":10g5bmte said:
HawKnPeppa":10g5bmte said:

His receivers are fine. Save for the SF game, they've done a good job. First half of the year.. Wilson was constantly missing open guys.. he's improving in this area week-by-week though (aside from missing Rice down the sidelines against Detroit)

Could we use a home run threat like a Mike Wallace.. probably.. but all in all, how much they suck is VERY overblown on this site.

Fascinating. RW is not allowed to use a below-average WR corp as an excuse, but Gabbert is?

Blaine Gabbert with far inferior weapons and a generally awful team around him only averages about 10 yards less per start than Wilson

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pehawk":748jasea said:
Hasselbeck":748jasea said:
HawKnPeppa":748jasea said:

Fascinating. RW is not allowed to use a below-average WR corp as an excuse, but Gabbert is?

Blaine Gabbert with far inferior weapons and a generally awful team around him only averages about 10 yards less per start than Wilson

If you think Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts are better than Sidney Rice, Braylon Edwards, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, etc.. I don't know what to tell you.

And I never said Gabbert was great. But go ahead and keep putting words in my mouth there guy :th2thumbs:

pehawk

Reaction score
I dont think their better. Just pointing it out.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pehawk":fg2mxchs said:
I dont think their better. Just pointing it out.

Then wouldn't that make Gabbert's season as impressive if not more so than Wilson's.. considering their stats are pretty damn similar?

Anyway.. again.. our WR corps aren't going to be confused with the likes of New England, New Orleans, Green Bay, etc. etc. I get that. But this message board makes it sound like we're sending out 4 amputees every weekend.

It's overblown, Sidney Rice is 26 and his biggest bugaboo is health. When he was healthy and played a full 16 games, he had over 1300 yards and 8 TD. He's a damn good receiver when healthy - which he is this season. Doug Baldwin had a great season last year.. Zach Miller was a great TE in Oakland .. Golden Tate shows flashes of being really good. Braylon Edwards still can play at a respectable level.

Not saying that this team can't stand to improve at WR. They need a home run threat IMO.. and I will be crossing my fingers they draft one or sign Mike Wallace in the offseason. But this group is good enough to get to the postseason.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Didn't Gabbert have both Mike Thomas and Maurice Jones Drew on his offense until just recently? It isn't like he started the season with a bare cupboard in Jacksonville.

Besides, the point of the original article was not to compare him to Gabbert, Ponder, Palmer or anyone except Alex Smith, Bradford, and Kolb/Skelton.

So answer me this Hasselbeck, of THOSE four guys, which one would you build your franchise for the next ten years around?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":x3hqb3f1 said:
Didn't Gabbert have both Mike Thomas and Maurice Jones Drew on his offense until just recently? It isn't like he started the season with a bare cupboard in Jacksonville.

Besides, the point of the original article was not to compare him to Gabbert, Ponder, Palmer or anyone except Alex Smith, Bradford, and Kolb/Skelton.

So answer me this Hasselbeck, of THOSE four guys, which one would you build your franchise for the next ten years around?

Duh. Matt Flynn.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":32qe6927 said:
HawKnPeppa":32qe6927 said:

I defended the recievers most of this year and all off season and I now concede that I was wrong. You sir are wrong too. The amount of big plays and perfect passes dropped this year has made a HUGE impact on our team and Russ rookie year stats. We'd be looking at a completely different storyline and possibly 2 more wins, if not for the recievers letting this team down.

So overblown? No.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":y4ytrv4e said:
His receivers are fine. Save for the SF game, they've done a good job. First half of the year.. Wilson was constantly missing open guys.. he's improving in this area week-by-week though (aside from missing Rice down the sidelines against Detroit).

I think if all the receivers were healthy and playing to the best of their potential, you'd be right..............but they aren't.

Even if everyone's healthy, the Hawks still need another big target opposite Rice. Edwards certainly isn't the answer. It's far to easy for good defenses to take Rice out of the game, that leaves Edwards, Baldwin and Tate to pick up the slack, and so far they haven't consistently done that.