Mid season "If I was the Head Coach" thread

HawkEye

Reaction score
If I was the head coach, I would:

1. Avoid using zone defense
2. NOT use screen passes (until we learn how to use them properly)
3. Use the Tight ends for a dynamic short pass offense (They can do more than blocking you know?)
4. Teach the proper technique to defeat a tackle for a good pass rush
5. Stick to what's working (RUN the ball and man to man defense)

I think I could do something about the Wide receivers also :?

The Radish

Reaction score
HawkEye":2n9jcl23 said:
If I was the head coach, I would:

1. Avoid using zone defense
2. NOT use screen passes (until we learn how to use them properly)
3. Use the Tight ends for a dynamic short pass offense (They can do more than blocking you know?)
4. Teach the proper technique to defeat a tackle for a good pass rush
5. Stick to what's working (RUN the ball and man to man defense)

I think I could do something about the Wide receivers also :?

You can't run man to man all the time. No defense can take that kind of pressure every down. Plus its gives you a safety for the better receivers as you have a centerfield to stop long gains.

2. I agree we need to learn a different way to present our screens. Its like they know its coming.

3. Tight ends are fine but then you'd better plan on QB sacks until the line has a season to play the same players together.

I haven't much to say about the other cause I think they are being done.

:les:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
If I was the head coach I would answer questions honestly in press conferences.

I remember when Holmgren was coach when the media asked a question about a player who was sucking he would always say "he's trying real hard!". Ouch!

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3u9ayho5 said:
If I was the head coach I would answer questions honestly in press conferences.

I remember when Holmgren was coach when the media asked a question about a player who was sucking he would always say "he's trying real hard!". Ouch!

You woudn't be a head coach for long.

"Don't worry about Player X. He's real hurt"
"Oh man We coudn't pass the ball to save our lives"
"The secret to beating us is..."

seahawks08

Reaction score
If I was the head coach, I personally will be involved in improving offense, defense and special team scheming. I would make adjustments to my philosophy depending on the team I am playing.

Special teams
I would gets punts and kicks to go just the distance where special teams can reach and make a play for the football rather than play the field position game. Instead of downing them under 20, I would get them downed between the 25 and 35 yard line to see if we can make a play to get the football.

Defense:

1. I would play more run defense if an opponent runs the football well, otherwise I would scheme to take away the passing game if we face a high percentage throwing QB.

2. I would give different looks to confuse the offense so that I make the opposing offense always think and guess.

Offense:

1. I would run the ball more in the 3rd and 4th quarter more than the 1st and 2nd quarter.
2. Scheme to start fast and be ahead by 12 to 15 points and then unleash our defense to close games.
3. I will find ways to trick the opposing defense and beat them mentally and physically.

Overall.

I will continue to be animated in the sideline
I would bench players who don't run routes well or are not learning from their mistakes
I will not over compete and tire my team out during practices, but will continue bringing in the right intensity to practice well.
I won't get hormonal and throw red flags unless the game is on the line
I will not micromanage OC and DC, and let them run the show. However I will go over before and after the game on what worked or did not work to learn from the experience.

BigMeach

Reaction score
seahawks08":1vk3nxt1 said:
If I was the head coach, I personally will be involved in improving offense, defense and special team scheming. I would make adjustments to my philosophy depending on the team I am playing.

Special teams
I would gets punts and kicks to go just the distance where special teams can reach and make a play for the football rather than play the field position game. Instead of downing them under 20, I would get them downed between the 25 and 35 yard line to see if we can make a play to get the football.

Defense:

1. I would play more run defense if an opponent runs the football well, otherwise I would scheme to take away the passing game if we face a high percentage throwing QB.

2. I would give different looks to confuse the offense so that I make the opposing offense always think and guess.

Offense:

1. I would run the ball more in the 3rd and 4th quarter more than the 1st and 2nd quarter.
2. Scheme to start fast and be ahead by 12 to 15 points and then unleash our defense to close games.
3. I will find ways to trick the opposing defense and beat them mentally and physically.

Overall.

I will continue to be animated in the sideline
I would bench players who don't run routes well or are not learning from their mistakes
I will not over compete and tire my team out during practices, but will continue bringing in the right intensity to practice well.
I won't get hormonal and throw red flags unless the game is on the line
I will not micromanage OC and DC, and let them run the show. However I will go over before and after the game on what worked or did not work to learn from the experience.

Then we could start threads calling for your head.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If I were head coach of this team, I'd fire both coords, have Cable call the plays and I (pete) call the plays on D.

drdiags

Reaction score
I would have a poll of the fans each week to see who should start at every position. Then I would have the fans suggest each play using their text phones. That way I could deflect all criticism and call out the fans for being dolts.

Pure genius.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
drdiags":rd0kr8dq said:
I would have a poll of the fans each week to see who should start at every position. Then I would have the fans suggest each play using their text phones. That way I could deflect all criticism and call out the fans for being dolts.

Pure genius.

Winner!

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":10ivx097 said:
If I was the coach, I would fire myself.

I did laugh at that, that was kinda funny. Thanks scotte.

Now if i were coach i would go power crazy mad. Demand that every player have the #400 tattooed on either thier forehead or right hand and coach from a throne on the sidelines.

Yeah, thatswat i'd do.

roiyair

Reaction score
I would wait until the first niners game, stab Harbaugh during the post game handshake (unfortunately I may have to consider losing on purpose, due to the fact that if I win, there won't be a post game handshake). The team will be forced to fire me due to jail time (totally worth it) and end up hiring my assistant HC - Pete Carrol - to run the team again.

Oh and I would definitely get Brandon Stokely back via trade/FA. The most reliable reciever we had at least since Bobby Engram.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
If I were the coach I'd try Jon Ryan at Linebacker and let Red Bryant return punts.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
drdiags":1cb845l3 said:

Pure genius.

THIS.
Because the fans ALWAYS know what's better and best in regard to coaching a pro sports team.

Latest posts