Sidney Rice Drop

lukerguy

Reaction score
I was on an airplane during the game on my way down to Phoenix..Everyone keeps talking about this pivotal drop Rice had...I've tried to look around for the full game or a video of the drop, but can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone have a video link or GIF?

thanks.

ensett

Reaction score
I don't have a video, but I seem to be one of the few that doesn't believe it was a drop. It barely touched his outstretched finger tips. Just because it technically makes physical contact with you doesn't make it a drop, the throw was just a foot too far

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It wasn't really a "drop" - just a catch he 'could' have made. It looked like a poor site adjust to the ball in flight.

Would have been a nice catch either way. Sidney talked about it on 710 yesterday and he definitely feels he should have caught it.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2z4tikei said:
It wasn't really a "drop" - just a catch he 'could' have made. It looked like a poor site adjust to the ball in flight.

Would have been a nice catch either way. Sidney talked about it on 710 yesterday and he definitely feels he should have caught it.

Exactly. Wilson threw a great ball. To suggest that Wilson was at fault I think is silly. I think Rice misjudged the ball coming down and had to adjust at the last moment. He got his hands on the ball and it would have been a spectacular catch. But I think Wilson put it in the spot where it needed to be to make the completion. Rice just couldn't come down with it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It was not a flat-out drop. It was a tough catch, maybe Rice should have run through the pass more, but it was just a close play that didn't happen more than a drop by Sidney. Right through his fingertips.

hawker84

Reaction score
not a drop, spectacular catch if made, would like to start seeing some of those by the way... but not a drop

pehawk

Reaction score
I stilll contend Rice changed his route, slowed up, something.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
It quite possible he lost the ball in the lights/background. That's what it looked like to me.

There is no it's so and so's fault with a play of this type. A play that misses by mere inches on a throw of 40-50 yards is no one's fault.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wilson overthrew it. The fact Rice still nearly came up with the catch is pretty impressive.

That would have been a game changing play too.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
How the hell do you call that an 'over throw'?

Look at the screen grabs - two defensive backs right behind Rice. If he threw that any lighter it probably would've been picked. Great throw, decent attempt by Rice. Could've had it but he didn't. It happens.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It was reported that there was a "momentary hitch" in his running stride from running too long with his head turned back to the ball. It probably cost him a half a step....just enough to make that catch.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That's a catch he possibly should have made but I've seen much, much worse "drops" than that play. The story of this game is not a drop by our receiver, it's all on the defense that couldn't stop the Lions on their game-winning drive at the end. Unfortunately there was not enough time for us to make a dramatic comeback of our own.

Third Down Defense. That was the story of our loss on Sunday.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
i remember seeing Rice slow down for a brief moment for some reason while the ball was in the air. he sped back up but the damage was done. he barely missed it

A

Anonymous

Aros":2em04wbn said:
That's a catch he possibly should have made but I've seen much, much worse "drops" than that play. The story of this game is not a drop by our receiver, it's all on the defense that couldn't stop the Lions on their game-winning drive at the end. Unfortunately there was not enough time for us to make a dramatic comeback of our own.

Third Down Defense. That was the story of our loss on Sunday.

Exactly.

They put together a monster drive that you could tell had been masterly-planned and exectuted in a way that found every hole we had in the coverage. It was ugly for us, but really a thing of football beauty from the Lions O.

mikeak

Reaction score
A ball is not overthrown when it is 1-2 inches from the WR's hands on a 40 yard bomb.

You line up every NFL QB and draw a mark on the field 40 yards down field I doubt that any of them hits your mark exactly. Many will be close but not on the exact mark so you can't say that this was overthrown.

I think it was a great route, great play and great throw - darn shame it wasn't 7 points. Long pass plays are lower percentage plays but we have shown the last three weeks the ability to execute them - a few drops (SF game) and a few inches away from a lot more of them being completed. This team will keep trying to hit these bombs and when they are all on the exact same page the percentages will go up and it will help the plays over the middle and it will help the running game.

Just so I also chime in - I think Rice turns his head to early and that makes him slowdown. The issue with that belief is that I don't know how the play was planned and practiced maybe he needed to turn his head as the ball could have come out sooner based on pressure etc - who knows it almost worked and that is what you hope for in these situations.......

pehawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1afiqz8i said:
Wilson overthrew it. The fact Rice still nearly came up with the catch is pretty impressive.

That would have been a game changing play too.

This from the man who thinks QB's and WR's don't use hand signals.

We get it, you hate Wilson.