According to ESPN's QBR..Wilson has been one of the best

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • QBs in the league since week 5.

ESPN’s combined QB rating figures since Week 5:

1. Peyton Manning 89.2
    2. Eli Manning 83.9
    3. Aaron Rodgers 83.8
    4. Tom Brady 81.8
    5. Drew Brees 79.6
    6. Russell Wilson 77.1
    VancitySeahawk
    NET Veteran

• Screw that! It's not enough!! I want Flynn!! :stirthepot:

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Damn how many times have I posted this stuff before? ;)
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Screw that! It's not enough!! I want Flynn!! :stirthepot:

That really Russell'd my jimmies
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• He's definitely improved quite a bit from the Rams game.. the game against SF should have been his best but dropsies got in the way.

The game last week, I still firmly believe there were a couple throws he should have made that more than likely change the outcome of the game.

All in all though.. his last 4 compared to his first 4, much better. Hope it continues..
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:He's definitely improved quite a bit from the Rams game.. the game against SF should have been his best but dropsies got in the way.

The game last week, I still firmly believe there were a couple throws he should have made that more than likely change the outcome of the game.

All in all though.. his last 4 compared to his first 4, much better. Hope it continues..

Ehhh.... The first half of SF was probably his best ever, but his second half was bad. I still think in Detroit he didn't leave anything on the field.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Didn't Dilfer invent QBR or something?

So, yeah, don't pay attention to that...

PFF does agree that he is best in the West right now, though.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• Biggest thing I've noticed with him is his much improved pocket presence and decision making. That and the coaches opening it up a bit is paying dividends.

He still needs to work on not bailing to the right so much and seeing the field better as a whole, but the kid is MONEY when it comes to self assessment, learning from his mistakes and improving. Imagine what would happen if we elevated the WR/TE talent.

Oh yeah, remember all that talk about him being too short?? He's had all of four passes batted down this season. FOUR.

If you can snag a franchise QB in the 3rd round of a draft, it's huge. And I think we have.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• FlyingGreg wrote:Biggest thing I've noticed with him is his much improved pocket presence and decision making. That and the coaches opening it up a bit is paying dividends.

He still needs to work on not bailing to the right so much and seeing the field better as a whole, but the kid is MONEY when it comes to self assessment, learning from his mistakes and improving. Imagine what would happen if we elevated the WR/TE talent.

Oh yeah, remember all that talk about him being too short?? He's had all of four passes batted down this season. FOUR.

If you can snag a franchise QB in the 3rd round of a draft, it's huge. And I think we have.

How does he not see the whole field? I don't think it's a problem at all. Constantly bailing to the right though is pretty bad. Didn't Vick do awesome his first few starts for the eagles until opposing defenses kept him in the pocket? A tad worried...
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:Biggest thing I've noticed with him is his much improved pocket presence and decision making. That and the coaches opening it up a bit is paying dividends.

How does he not see the whole field? I don't think it's a problem at all. Constantly bailing to the right though is pretty bad. Didn't Vick do awesome his first few starts for the eagles until opposing defenses kept him in the pocket? A tad worried...

I didn't say he doesn't see the whole field. I said he needs to see the field BETTER as a whole. Big difference.

:th2thumbs:

Example - throwing the pick vs SF into triple coverage when he had Rice wide open. There's been quite a few times this season he has not seen wide open receivers. Not a knock by any means, its a refinement for a young QB.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:He's definitely improved quite a bit from the Rams game.. the game against SF should have been his best but dropsies got in the way.

Ehhh.... The first half of SF was probably his best ever, but his second half was bad. I still think in Detroit he didn't leave anything on the field.

I'm not in the habit of making excuses for people, and since what I'm about to say qualifies more as a 'reason,' I don't have a problem with it.
    :th2thumbs:
    The WR's were at least catching passes in the first half. I understand how a QB must shoulder the blame, and he's usually the first to do so, but I think that putting that second half on him is stretching things a bit...or being over-simplistic in blaming who's in charge on the field. RW threaded quite a few totally catchable balls into very tight quarters in that second half, and most all of them were dropped. How was he supposed to get back into a rythm against the adjustments the 9ers made at halftime if his pass catchers weren't letting the FB bounce off their hands? He did all he could do for the most part. I like most of what I saw from him, but was very dissapointed with the receivers (which includes Turbin). Nearly every pass catcher we put on the field laid an egg in that second half. RW definitely gets a pass from me.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• The way he can take off from time to time,he likes to throw the long ball at least twice a game.For some reason he reminds me of Mcnabb.
    yummy down on this throbbing pole of hot man chicken.
    legend38
    NET Veteran

• he hardley threw any passes in the second half, two of the passes he did throw were throw aways out of bounds... second half was a case of whiners made better adjustments than we did, and bevell couldn't figure out how to counter...

Hate Bevell..
    Go Hawks!!!
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• why is matt ryan not on that list?
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:why is matt ryan not on that list?

I'm going to guess that it's a combination of that list stopping at 6, Ryan having a subpar game against Oakland, and the Falcons having their bye in Week 7 (since the list is only for Weeks 5-8). Just a quick glance at Ryan's 3 games during that span, it looks like he'd probably shake out at around 74, which would probably put him just under Wilson.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Screw that! It's not enough!! I want Flynn!! :stirthepot:

:lol:
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• freaking tired of people blaming Wilson in the second half of the 49ers game. How is it his fault that he has 4 passing attempts coming in to the 2 minute warning.......

As I have been saying that is like blaming the kicker for not making any FG's in the second half......
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• With stats like that we should blow out Minnesota by 28 points!!

:roll:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• wilson throws for 300 + sunday, bound to happen, might as well be against a weak secondary and passrush...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• I'm sorry...I really want to appreciate the RW congratulatory freakouts, but cannot (yet). Last week we played a 22 rated D and we put up minimal again.
    All this "but he's getting better" stuff, it's appreciated of course but I just see a low ceiling here. Can we at least let a rook complete his first year, to be fair?

I know many will read this as "RW 'hate'. Go ahead (simple minds). The truth is he's having a rather ho-hum year and there's just such a long way to go with this rook. I'm sorry to say I want this organization to obtain a serious QBOTF behind center to be feared. For some reason something keeps telling me RW ain't it (although not bad)...but also...that we will soon see one who will come to this organization and taking control to make D's PAY!!

This is NOT RW hate, that's all I can say.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• I used to really like Troy Aikman's formua for rating. Anyone know where I can find how he would rate Wilson?
    -edit: I tried to find it and couldn't. Maybe it doesn't exist. The aikman efficiency ratings are for team stats
    Omahawk
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan1975 wrote:I'm sorry...I really want to appreciate the RW congratulatory freakouts, but cannot (yet). Last week we played a 22 rated D and we put up minimal again.
    All this "but he's getting better" stuff, it's appreciated of course but I just see a low ceiling here. Can we at least let a rook complete his first year, to be fair?

I know many will read this as "RW 'hate'. Go ahead (simple minds). The truth is he's having a rather ho-hum year and there's just such a long way to go with this rook. I'm sorry to say I want this organization to obtain a serious QBOTF behind center to be feared. For some reason something keeps telling me RW ain't it (although not bad)...but also...that we will soon see one who will come to this organization and taking control to make D's PAY!!

Detroit has the 9th ranked pass D right now. For yards anyway.
    No, it isn't hate. Doesn't mean you are being reasonable in your expectations either. If RW continues to not be bad, like you say, you are not getting a sniff of the serious QBOTF that you covet. just sayin
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• hawkfan1975 wrote:I'm sorry...I really want to appreciate the RW congratulatory freakouts, but cannot (yet). Last week we played a 22 rated D and we put up minimal again.

Don't read that as RW hate. But I do not agree with you.

You need to look past stats when evaluating a qb's play. Especially a rookie who is learning the ropes on the fly. You sir are doing exactly what you accuse others of. Judging RW based off stats and looking for immediate results and peak potential, and ignoring all the surrounding factors (supporting cast, conservative offensive playcalling, etc), THAT is a simple mind. ;)
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

• Hawkadeus wrote:

You need to look past stats when evaluating a qb's play. Especially a rookie who is learning the ropes on the fly. You sir are doing exactly what you accuse others of. Judging RW based off stats and looking for immediate results and peak potential, and ignoring all the surrounding factors (supporting cast, conservative offensive playcalling, etc), THAT is a simple mind. ;)

Well no, not really. I'm basing it on points (which would equate to some prior wins), errant throws vs. solid throws, inability (right now) to hit the checkdowns necessary to make D's PAY all day long, short and mid-field hit or miss, floating long bombs (although being fair he'sALSO had some beauties mixed in, but along with ones that were miracle take downs on the other end to eek a win).

The type of QB I'm talking about is one who has a grasp on the above a bit more out the gate (and yes, who knows what will click and when?...it "could" be RW. I will give you that). I'm not talking about stats really at all.

Just as long as you understand this is NOT RW 'hate'. No games here, just want a very competitive hawks organization.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:wilson throws for 300 + sunday, bound to happen, might as well be against a weak secondary and passrush...

Have you heard of Jared Allen? Their pass-rush is not weak.

And they're 12th overall against the pass.. not a bad defense by any stretch.

Their offense on the other hand outside of Peterson and Harvin is pretty rough. We should have the edge there if we can contain Peterson.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Still doesn't score nearly that highly on the eyeball test
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan1975 wrote:
    Hawkadeus wrote:

Well no, not really. I'm basing it on points (which would equate to some prior wins), errant throws vs. solid throws, inability (right now) to hit the checkdowns necessary to make D's PAY all day long, short and mid-field hit or miss, floating long bombs (although being fair he'sALSO had some beauties mixed in, but along with ones that were miracle take downs on the other end to eek a win).

The type of QB I'm talking about is one who has a grasp on the above a bit more out the gate (and yes, who knows what will click and when?...it "could" be RW. I will give you that). I'm not talking about stats really at all.

Just as long as you understand this is NOT RW 'hate'. No games here, just want a very competitive hawks organization.

Oh, right, I can't believe Carroll hasn't been on the waiver wire signing all of the Tom Brady's out there. Man, sticking with Wilson when he could have drafted or signed someone like Robert Griffin or Peyton Manning!

Or do you argue that Pete should have not drafted Wilson and waited until that elite talent came along?
    :roll:
    SoCalHawk
    NET Practice Squad

Everyone has their opinion ... Although I don't agree with yours. I just don't want people acting like they always supported Wilson 3 years from now when he's leading us to Super Bowl wins.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan1975 wrote:Well no, not really. I'm basing it on points (which would equate to some prior wins), errant throws vs. solid throws, inability (right now) to hit the checkdowns necessary to make D's PAY all day long, short and mid-field hit or miss, floating long bombs (although being fair he'sALSO had some beauties mixed in, but along with ones that were miracle take downs on the other end to eek a win).

Okay, I am ALL giddy like a 12yo with Beiber fever over Wilson, but the bold is a good point. The best valid criticism I've read so far. Fair point.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:
    hawkfan1975 wrote:Well no, not really. I'm basing it on points (which would equate to some prior wins), errant throws vs. solid throws, inability (right now) to hit the checkdowns necessary to make D's PAY all day long, short and mid-field hit or miss, floating long bombs (although being fair he'sALSO had some beauties mixed in, but along with ones that were miracle take downs on the other end to eek a win).

Okay, I am ALL giddy like a 12yo with Beiber fever over Wilson, but the bold is a good point. The best valid criticism I've read so far. Fair point.

A rookie qb beyond valid criticisms I've never seen. These things are understandable and realistic. Expecting perfection is not. I got no prob with us pointing out the ares where RW neesd to improve. Pointing them out as some sort of inherent, impossible to overcome, flaws, as posters such as Hasselbeck, feel the need, is just wrong, and stupid, and ignorant. Sorry RW isn't a 6'5" 1st round pick with perceived unlimited potential. He's still able to improve, Flynnicists. Sorry. ;)

I'm with pehawk. This kid is special. Anyone who thinks otherwise, keep it up. Join Hasselbeck and cement your Flynnicism and forever be remembered for your stubbornness. I will be be remembered. ;)
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

• Hawkadeus wrote:
    pehawk wrote:
    hawkfan1975 wrote:Well no, not really. I'm basing it on points (which would equate to some prior wins), errant throws vs. solid throws, inability (right now) to hit the checkdowns necessary to make D's PAY all day long, short and mid-field hit or miss, floating long bombs (although being fair he'sALSO had some beauties mixed in, but along with ones that were miracle take downs on the other end to eek a win).

A rookie qb beyond valid criticisms I've never seen. These things are understandable and realistic. Expecting perfection is not. I got no prob with us pointing out the ares where RW neesd to improve. Pointing them out as some sort of inherent, impossible to overcome, flaws, as posters such as Hasselbeck, feel the need, is just wrong, and stupid, and ignorant. Sorry RW isn't a 6'5" 1st round pick with perceived unlimited potential. He's still able to improve, Flynnicists. Sorry. ;)

I'm with pehawk. This kid is special. Anyone who thinks otherwise, keep it up. Join Hasselbeck and cement your Flynnicism and forever be remembered for your stubbornness. I will be be remembered. ;)

:13:
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Hawkadeus wrote:
    hawkfan1975 wrote:I'm sorry...I really want to appreciate the RW congratulatory freakouts, but cannot (yet). Last week we played a 22 rated D and we put up minimal again.

I totally agree with the 2nd part of this above post and suggest that only one of the whole receiving crew that is having a reasonable season is Rice. This suggests Wilson is not being helped much either by his receivers or by the scheme. Wilson improves game to game doesn't take a lot of sacks despite weak right side pass pro. Any honest evaluation of our OLine would reveal they are left side dominant and right side weak, they generally run to the left when short yardage is needed, and are forcing our RBs to make a large portion of their yardage after contact.

As much as I love Giacomini's toughness it'd be nice to see better pass protection from the right side if the line. Two TDs from our TEs in 8 games indicates the scheme isn't helping Wilson much in the red zone. From what he's shown so far will have a very high ceiling in the NFL. All he needs is so help, a few more healthy WRs, better play from the TEs, and a lot more ability to open it up.

PC has brought Wilson along slowly but it's now time to open it up some and allow Wilson to be creative.

Basing any evaluation on simply stats is affirming the truth there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:46 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information