It's Pete time...

pehawk

Reaction score
It's on him now, he needs to right this, and soon.

Even before the offense took steps forwards against NE, the offense could always; run the ball, hit any pattern, could throw long WELL. The defense has the players and tools to play well. Plus, this team ALWAYS plays hard, in every facet of the game.

Playing hard usually will beat the likes of Detroit. The talent differential should've beaten the Rams. And, the offense seemed uninterested in winning the SF game (based on poor execution).

I look at a team like Miami, with SO much less, seemingly playing better and just as hard. And, they're winning, ON THE ROAD. So, for all the excuses of how better it is, how much brilliance Pete has shown putting this together, there's no more excuses for not winning.

Yesterday really pissed me off. That's a mentally soft team the Seahawks lost to. The perfect type of learning road win this teams NEEDS to get.

I'm appreciative of Pete. But, there's no more room for losses.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Somehow, I just can't agree that a team which is one of the best (league leader, even?) at scoring 4th quarter points is mentally soft.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Regardless, Sarlacc, pe is correct. This team has underperformed grossly. That is on the head coach.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Ask Earl Thomas. He stated paraphrasing; they could've/should've jumped on them early it would've been a blowout. I'm not the only one who thinks Detroit will cave if bad things occur early.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Perhaps, but we still NEEDED to win this game and fell short. The defense has been pretty much propping the team up and could be excused for one bad performance. Bummer that it happened when our Offense finally showed signs of life. Onward...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
3rd and 11 giving up a bomb to Titus Young was backbreaking. We were dominating the game and in one play it's a 17-14 game again.

Agree with pe.. I love Pete, but all these brain farts reflect on coaching.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This has always been the knock on Carroll, even going back to his first coaching jobs in NE and NY........someone with a great defensive mind, but below average on the offensive side of the ball.

I won't lie, he kicked ass at USC, but the main reason was because he had superior talent than everyone else. So he could get by on vanilla schemes and game plans and still win because he had superior talent. Well that's the the case in a parity league like the NFL. Teams that succeed are the teams that have coaches and coordinators that know how to scheme, put together game plans and motivate their players.

Carroll certainly has the ability to motivate, but I'm not sold on his ability to succeed on the offensive side of the ball, OR the ability to out scheme his opposition.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
We could be 8-0 or 1-7 right now. We play a style of football wrought with mistakes from any and every direction in any given game. We rely too much on dramatic and fortunate endings to expect to go 6-2 from here on out. It's possible, sure. And so, I will hope for it. But I'm not going to expect us to suddenly begin to take control of games and if that doesn't happen 6-2 or better from here on out is a pipe dream.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
The tone in the press conferences smacked of; we needed to slit their throat in the first half and they'd wilt. Yes, the Lions get a lot of 4th quarter points because they play half-hearted. By definition, you CAN slaughter those types of teams. See 2010 Seahawks, or most Holmgren Seahawks.

Quit kidding yourself into acceptance. That was inexcusable – and read the teams quotes – they know it too.

The big and real fear is the players eventually tuning out. They play hard, can run, stop the run, throw, connect deep AND they’re still losing. Give any of those qualities to; McCarthy, Fox, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Coughlin and they’d JUST WIN.

At some point players may tune out if they have zero to show for it.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Nice to see some posters I respect reading the same tea leaves... it's beyond fair to turn the light on Carroll right now -- after 3 drafts and 41 games into his regime.

Perhaps a lot of us over-estimated how good we would be this season?

I still see us winning 9 games (MAYBE 10 if we can solve the road bugaboo), and who knows - we might find a way to snag a playoff berth.

The furture is bright. The sky is NOT falling. The frustration stems from not correcting things that are costing us games, regardless of whether we "should have" won or not - they were right there for the taking (each loss this season fits into that category).

seedhawk

Reaction score
Just my opinion I know but, PC needs to just STFU, take the reins off Bevel and the offense and turn it loose. He also needs to trust Bradley and turn him loose.

Jest keep guys motivated and in the game PC, and quit micro-managing. Hire the best people available and let them do their job!

Largent80

Reaction score
pehawk":1y5hfvui said:
Ask Earl Thomas. He stated paraphrasing; they could've/should've jumped on them early it would've been a blowout. I'm not the only one who thinks Detroit will cave if bad things occur early.

We were up 17-7 if that isn't jumping on them then what is. We had them right where you said they would fold and they didn't. WE did, and on defense, not offense.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
17-7 isn't exactly insurmountable at home.

But, okay, I was wrong. As we're the team, who felt similarly, and national outlets like PFT and Mortenson. Feel better?

Shouldn't you be ripping off someone's thread idea like "look a likes", "Pete's Pressers", etc? Maybe you can beat Thunder to the punch on the enemy forum posting? Or Moses' haikus? There's got to be something you can do while we discuss football?

Anyways, this loss hurts in a lot of ways. That's a "good" team which could've been had. Would've been a perfect stepping stone.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Yesterday was the first game I really took notice of PC being outcoached and outschemed. I've seen it before, but made excuses for it, and even though, I'm not even heartbroken over the loss, it worries me that the coaches have shown an inability to be creative and change things in game.

Last season, and even earlier this season, PC was great at halftime adjustments but I just haven't seen it in several games.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
One thing Pete will have going for him, and we've begun to see it over the past few weeks, is a dynamic "tilt the field" type QB.

I'm not going to play it safe with my expectations of Wilson, I think he's going to be a Rogers, Manning, Brady, Brees type. Heaven help whoever's lined up across from Wilson once he reaches the playoffs, because he's going to own it.

Wilson will end up masking all of Pete's aforementioned offensive flaws, soon.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
pehawk":2g5i4rf2 said:
One thing Pete will have going for him, and we've begun to see it over the past few weeks, is a dynamic "tilt the field" type QB.

I'm not going to play it safe with my expectations of Wilson, I think he's going to be a Rogers, Manning, Brady, Brees type. Heaven help whoever's lined up across from Wilson once he reaches the playoffs, because he's going to own it.

Wilson will end up masking all of Pete's aforementioned offensive flaws, soon.

I don't think that's farfetched at all. The kid looks like a veteran out there, and nothing seems to rattle him. I'm just glad we don't have Cutler, Romo, or even Rivers. Now those guys are veterans that continuously make rookie mistakes.

Largent80

Reaction score
pehawk":fnl6g1rt said:
Shouldn't you be ripping off someone's thread idea like "look a likes", "Pete's Pressers", etc? Maybe you can beat Thunder to the punch on the enemy forum posting? Or Moses' haikus? There's got to be something you can do while we discuss football?

I was discussing football Mr. holierthanthou. And maybe I'll just not post so your quaaluud eating ass will be happy.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wemwnv9 said:
This has always been the knock on Carroll, even going back to his first coaching jobs in NE and NY........someone with a great defensive mind, but below average on the offensive side of the ball.

I won't lie, he kicked ass at USC, but the main reason was because he had superior talent than everyone else. So he could get by on vanilla schemes and game plans and still win because he had superior talent. Well that's the the case in a parity league like the NFL. Teams that succeed are the teams that have coaches and coordinators that know how to scheme, put together game plans and motivate their players.

Carroll certainly has the ability to motivate, but I'm not sold on his ability to succeed on the offensive side of the ball, OR the ability to out scheme his opposition.

As a die-hard Trojans fan, I have a slight bias with Pete.. he brought that program up and kept them on top of college football for a long long time.. but the USC program was almost like the Braves in the 90's - all the time USC would come out and completely play down to an inferior opponent.. ultimately screwing themselves out of a championship.

Pete Carroll is a great coach, but for some reason.. his players have a tendency to just flat out underachieve. We've seen it already 3 times this year.. we should have beat the Cardinals, we should have beat the Rams, and we should have beat the Lions yesterday.

At some point, this allure Pete has will wear off if these moments don't stop happening.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Qualuds? You have a time machine?

Seemed like you joined to point out I was wrong over anything else.

Post whatever, whenever.

Latest posts