Pete coming up on KIRO 9:30 a.m. (link)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pete is frustrating me a lot right now. I can't even type up what he's saying. He actually defends the run call in the first half. That was a bad call with an even worse outcome. There is no defense of that run call. Throw the ball incomplete and you have an extra play at the end of the half to try to get those few extra yards we needed. I thought that Wilson was doing a pretty good job of getting the ball out quickly in that first half. That drive needed to rely on Wilson's arm and I think given 2 throws vs. 1 run, you take the 2 throws at that point of the game....if you're already in FG range, I can understand the "play it safe" angle, but we were just outside his range. Bad playcall pete and to defend that call is just crazy. man up pete, accept blame for a bad play call.

We need Pete to man up and bring in someone to run the offense without any input from Pete. If Bevell is that guy, so be it, but let him run it or bring in someone who Pete can trust to run the offensive side of things. Pete want's total control, but offensive play calling is just NOT his forte.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kidhawk":3b9txfdh said:
Pete is frustrating me a lot right now. I can't even type up what he's saying. He actually defends the run call in the first half. That was a bad call with an even worse outcome. There is no defense of that run call. Throw the ball incomplete and you have an extra play at the end of the half to try to get those few extra yards we needed. I thought that Wilson was doing a pretty good job of getting the ball out quickly in that first half. That drive needed to rely on Wilson's arm and I think given 2 throws vs. 1 run, you take the 2 throws at that point of the game....if you're already in FG range, I can understand the "play it safe" angle, but we were just outside his range. Bad playcall pete and to defend that call is just crazy. man up pete, accept blame for a bad play call.

We need Pete to man up and bring in someone to run the offense without any input from Pete. If Bevell is that guy, so be it, but let him run it or bring in someone who Pete can trust to run the offensive side of things. Pete want's total control, but offensive play calling is just NOT his forte.

Very much agree - and was the genesis of my "Pete in the cross hairs" thread yesterday.

I'm not sure why people don't feel it's ok to assess Pete at this point...and before the rain shower of "be positive" starts in again, the disclaimer is I think he's doing a good job but I also think there needs to be adjustments.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
That play didn't lose the game. 12 of 16 on 3rd downs did, 3 of them were touchdowns.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Largent80":71y0spcx said:
That play didn't lose the game. 12 of 16 on 3rd downs did, 3 of them were touchdowns.

Expand it more - the performance on 3rd down by both the offense and defense ALL SEASON is a major, major problem.

The offense has been getting better at it, to be fair. But the D needs to buckle up.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
If we lose next Sunday to the Vikings, his seat will have to be getting warm. 3 losses in a row? Out of the playoffs without help? That will make next year a playoffs or bust.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3b58245t said:

There's plenty of things that "cost us the game" when you add them all together it comes down to a loss, but our 2 minute drill has seemed to be very poor consistently since Pete has been here. I have more faith that we can fix the defense, then our 2 minute coaching getting better (including playcalling AND time management)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":34f0firu said:
Titus Young 9 for 9 on catches?

that is Petes fault?

What does that have to do with clock management? I said he has had many games where he's shown poor clock management in the final 2 minutes of halves and games. This is an area of weakness for Pete. If you don't want to see this I really can't help you...I also never said that clock management was the sole reason for our loss, and am not blaming the entire game on it, it's just something that I've noticed consistently about our teams over the past few seasons.

Our Defense, especially on 3rd down was too soft. I won't argue that Point. I think that is so obvious that it's not even worthy of discussion, because it's just a fact, it's a weak point. They need to work on that. I do believe they can adjust the scheme to fix that though. I don't think it's a talent issue, but a scheme issue.

The clock management though is something that has been ongoing for awhile now and it's something I keep hoping Pete will improve, but it hasn't improved.

12evanf

Reaction score
kidhawk":3227wjwg said:
Largent80":3227wjwg said:
Titus Young 9 for 9 on catches?

that is Petes fault?

What does that have to do with clock management? I said he has had many games where he's shown poor clock management in the final 2 minutes of halves and games. This is an area of weakness for Pete. If you don't want to see this I really can't help you...I also never said that clock management was the sole reason for our loss, and am not blaming the entire game on it, it's just something that I've noticed consistently about our teams over the past few seasons.

Our Defense, especially on 3rd down was too soft. I won't argue that Point. I think that is so obvious that it's not even worthy of discussion, because it's just a fact, it's a weak point. They need to work on that. I do believe they can adjust the scheme to fix that though. I don't think it's a talent issue, but a scheme issue.

The clock management though is something that has been ongoing for awhile now and it's something I keep hoping Pete will improve, but it hasn't improved.

I agree, also in the 4th quarter during the Lion's game winning drive I wanted us to call a timeout. Stafford was trudging down the field and we had been horrible at stopping them all game. I almost wish Megatron made his catch just so we could get the ball back quicker. Instead the Lions wasted the clock and gave us all of 22 seconds to respond. If RW and our offense have another minute of time to play, I think we would have won. We just ran out of time.