All TD passes against us today were on 3rd down

hawksfan515

Reaction score
The good thing is though, a poster here mentioned a football outsiders article posted a few years ago. It stated that if an offense or defense cannot succeed on the 1st two downs, but has great success on third down, then it is soon going to decline greatly, and if an offense or defense has success on the 1st two downs but struggles on third down, they are on the brink of great success.

I'm still wondering where the leak is though. Is it Trufant? I hope so, cause Thurmond is the patch in that case.

Is it Hill? If so, then the draft is the most likely patch.

Is it Wagner? Then experience is most likely the patch.

Is it Wright? I don't know what the patch is if it's Wright.

Is it our D-line? The patch is the draft then.

Is it Browner? The draft or depth is the patch.

I really hope it's Trufants fault. Someone go figure out!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think we can rule out Hill since he's not usually on the field on 3rd and longs.

More then anything i think its just scheme. We have our LB dropping too deep in zones.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
JSeahawks":8khcddlj said:
I think we can rule out Hill since he's not usually on the field on 3rd and longs.

More then anything i think its just scheme. We have our LB dropping too deep in zones.

If it's scheme, I'm not worried at all. People will game plan for the defense they saw against Detroit, and then Pete will whip out a whole new 3rd down defense on them. He'll fix it.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
hawksfan515":e6orbwds said:
JSeahawks":e6orbwds said:

If it's scheme, I'm not worried at all. People will game plan for the defense they saw against Detroit, and then Pete will whip out a whole new 3rd down defense on them. He'll fix it.
What makes you think it's going to change now when Bradley's been running this same scheme on 3rd down for years?

NJHawksFan

Reaction score
Why don't we try putting Hill back on the field on third downs then if we consistently fail with him off the field....

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
Broyles' TD was on 2nd down but I feel ya OP. It only felt like they were all on third down. Brutal performance by the defense.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
SeatownJay":20jjr1z8 said:
hawksfan515":20jjr1z8 said:
JSeahawks":20jjr1z8 said:

What makes you think it's going to change now when Bradley's been running this same scheme on 3rd down for years?

Everyone here knows who wears the pants in the Bradley Pete relationship.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1023vqar said:
JSeahawks":1023vqar said:

problem is, it's an ongoing problem, so if he recognizes the problem, then he's been ignoring it.
I think he's expecting the D coordinator to help make some adjustments in our Defense, and he's been counting on the Tampa 2 way too much,,,Time to tweak some changes into the recipe, as it's gone rancid.
We do have the talent out there, just need to be a little more nimble to needed changes

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's lack of pass rush. Those zones don't work when a QB has all day to throw.

I really wish we'd blitz more on third down.. especially on the road where the pass rush just vanishes for huge chunks of time.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
We don't have pass rushers with power moves. Our guys are speed and spin types who cannot breaking free when being held:vanishing pass rush.

Calvin Johnson's dropped TD was not on a 3rd down.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1zychjlg said:
We don't have pass rushers with power moves. Our guys are speed and spin types who cannot breaking free when being held:vanishing pass rush.

Umm Titus Young's CAUGHT touchdown was on 3rd down though.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2xknys7z said:
bestfightstory":2xknys7z said:

Yes. I can do the math also. So 2 out of 3 Touchdown passes occured on 3rd down.... What does this prove, exactly?

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2snxn7yy said:
hawksfan515":2snxn7yy said:
bestfightstory":2snxn7yy said:

Yes. I can do the math also. What does this prove, exactly?

This proves that our 3rd down defense is a big problem with our defense. So (simple math really) when the 3rd down defense = good, the Seahawks D will be back to keeping opponents to 13 PPG.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Because none of those 13 PPG occurred on 3rd downs?? Maybe I don't understand.

Of course, it seems to me if our QB bootleg defense on the goal line were better today-we win.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bestfightstory":156pxn6e said:

Of course, it seems to me if our QB bootleg defense on the goal line were better today-we win.

Is that a 3rd down defense?

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
bestfightstory":py250qm4 said:

I think if we actually don't allow that deep pass to Titus Young for the TD on 3rd and 11 we win. That was a backbreaker.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1ypahhbr said:
bestfightstory":1ypahhbr said:

I think if we actually don't allow that deep pass to Titus Young for the TD on 3rd and 11 we win. That was a backbreaker.

Agreed on that. It seemed SO cheap, too.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2g9emrt3 said:
hawksfan515":2g9emrt3 said:
bestfightstory":2g9emrt3 said:

Agreed on that. It seemed SO cheap, too.

Yeah. At least it's easier to fix than them dinking and dunking for 6 yards per pop all the way down the field before scoring.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2lsxxkh6 said:
It's lack of pass rush. Those zones don't work when a QB has all day to throw.

I really wish we'd blitz more on third down.. especially on the road where the pass rush just vanishes for huge chunks of time.

Thanks for finally posting something I can totally agree with. This is such a rare event that I might duck out for a minute to buy a lottery ticket.

Uffda

Reaction score
The past few weeks .... When I see a 3rd and 10+ ... I think oh crap not again, and again and again and again ...

Lions were 12 for 16 ? on 3rd downs this game, They were around Seattle's 3rd down average before ... about 33% ?

cover 2 right, why aren't the linebackers jumping on the first player in the slant, in and out .. the checkdown guy.