All TD passes against us today were on 3rd down

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • The good thing is though, a poster here mentioned a football outsiders article posted a few years ago. It stated that if an offense or defense cannot succeed on the 1st two downs, but has great success on third down, then it is soon going to decline greatly, and if an offense or defense has success on the 1st two downs but struggles on third down, they are on the brink of great success.

I'm still wondering where the leak is though. Is it Trufant? I hope so, cause Thurmond is the patch in that case.

Is it Hill? If so, then the draft is the most likely patch.

Is it Wagner? Then experience is most likely the patch.

Is it Wright? I don't know what the patch is if it's Wright.

Is it our D-line? The patch is the draft then.

Is it Browner? The draft or depth is the patch.

I really hope it's Trufants fault. Someone go figure out!
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I think we can rule out Hill since he's not usually on the field on 3rd and longs.

More then anything i think its just scheme. We have our LB dropping too deep in zones.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:I think we can rule out Hill since he's not usually on the field on 3rd and longs.

More then anything i think its just scheme. We have our LB dropping too deep in zones.

If it's scheme, I'm not worried at all. People will game plan for the defense they saw against Detroit, and then Pete will whip out a whole new 3rd down defense on them. He'll fix it.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I think we can rule out Hill since he's not usually on the field on 3rd and longs.

If it's scheme, I'm not worried at all. People will game plan for the defense they saw against Detroit, and then Pete will whip out a whole new 3rd down defense on them. He'll fix it.

What makes you think it's going to change now when Bradley's been running this same scheme on 3rd down for years?
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Why don't we try putting Hill back on the field on third downs then if we consistently fail with him off the field....
    Superbowl.
    NJHawksFan
    NET Practice Squad

• Broyles' TD was on 2nd down but I feel ya OP. It only felt like they were all on third down. Brutal performance by the defense.
    TheHawkDoc
    NET Rookie

• SeatownJay wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I think we can rule out Hill since he's not usually on the field on 3rd and longs.

What makes you think it's going to change now when Bradley's been running this same scheme on 3rd down for years?

Everyone here knows who wears the pants in the Bradley Pete relationship.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:

problem is, it's an ongoing problem, so if he recognizes the problem, then he's been ignoring it.
    I think he's expecting the D coordinator to help make some adjustments in our Defense, and he's been counting on the Tampa 2 way too much,,,Time to tweak some changes into the recipe, as it's gone rancid.
    We do have the talent out there, just need to be a little more nimble to needed changes
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• It's lack of pass rush. Those zones don't work when a QB has all day to throw.

I really wish we'd blitz more on third down.. especially on the road where the pass rush just vanishes for huge chunks of time.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• We don't have pass rushers with power moves. Our guys are speed and spin types who cannot breaking free when being held:vanishing pass rush.

Calvin Johnson's dropped TD was not on a 3rd down.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:We don't have pass rushers with power moves. Our guys are speed and spin types who cannot breaking free when being held:vanishing pass rush.

Umm Titus Young's CAUGHT touchdown was on 3rd down though.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:We don't have pass rushers with power moves. Our guys are speed and spin types who cannot breaking free when being held:vanishing pass rush.

Yes. I can do the math also. So 2 out of 3 Touchdown passes occured on 3rd down.... What does this prove, exactly?
    Last edited by bestfightstory on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:We don't have pass rushers with power moves. Our guys are speed and spin types who cannot breaking free when being held:vanishing pass rush.

Yes. I can do the math also. What does this prove, exactly?

This proves that our 3rd down defense is a big problem with our defense. So (simple math really) when the 3rd down defense = good, the Seahawks D will be back to keeping opponents to 13 PPG.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Because none of those 13 PPG occurred on 3rd downs?? Maybe I don't understand.

Of course, it seems to me if our QB bootleg defense on the goal line were better today-we win.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:Because none of those 13 PPG occurred on 3rd downs?? Maybe I don't understand.

Of course, it seems to me if our QB bootleg defense on the goal line were better today-we win.

Is that a 3rd down defense?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• bestfightstory wrote:Because none of those 13 PPG occurred on 3rd downs?? Maybe I don't understand.

I think if we actually don't allow that deep pass to Titus Young for the TD on 3rd and 11 we win. That was a backbreaker.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Because none of those 13 PPG occurred on 3rd downs?? Maybe I don't understand.

I think if we actually don't allow that deep pass to Titus Young for the TD on 3rd and 11 we win. That was a backbreaker.

Agreed on that. It seemed SO cheap, too.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Because none of those 13 PPG occurred on 3rd downs?? Maybe I don't understand.

Agreed on that. It seemed SO cheap, too.

Yeah. At least it's easier to fix than them dinking and dunking for 6 yards per pop all the way down the field before scoring.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:It's lack of pass rush. Those zones don't work when a QB has all day to throw.

I really wish we'd blitz more on third down.. especially on the road where the pass rush just vanishes for huge chunks of time.

Thanks for finally posting something I can totally agree with. This is such a rare event that I might duck out for a minute to buy a lottery ticket.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• The past few weeks .... When I see a 3rd and 10+ ... I think oh crap not again, and again and again and again ...

Lions were 12 for 16 ? on 3rd downs this game, They were around Seattle's 3rd down average before ... about 33% ?

cover 2 right, why aren't the linebackers jumping on the first player in the slant, in and out .. the checkdown guy.
    Last edited by Uffda on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• Uffda wrote:The past few weeks .... When I see a 3rd and 10+ ... I think oh crap not again, and again and again and again ...

Me and you aren't the only ones :(
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• The first touchdown was a regrettable breakdown in coverage against a speedy Titus Young, but not generally the kind of breakdown this defense has often committed. Usually we make offenses work for their touchdowns.

Stafford's touchdown run was just a balls-out play, plus a breakdown of containment from one guy on the defense (not the whole damn unit).

His final play was just a quick boom-boom needle-threading on good coverage by Browner, very difficult for anyone to defend.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• hawksfan515 wrote:The good thing is though, a poster here mentioned a football outsiders article posted a few years ago. It stated that if an offense or defense cannot succeed on the 1st two downs, but has great success on third down, then it is soon going to decline greatly, and if an offense or defense has success on the 1st two downs but struggles on third down, they are on the brink of great success.

I'm still wondering where the leak is though. Is it Trufant? I hope so, cause Thurmond is the patch in that case.

Is it Hill? If so, then the draft is the most likely patch.

Is it Wagner? Then experience is most likely the patch.

Is it Wright? I don't know what the patch is if it's Wright.

Is it our D-line? The patch is the draft then.

Is it Browner? The draft or depth is the patch.

I really hope it's Trufants fault. Someone go figure out!

I believe that 3rd and 11 TD bomb to Titus Young was on Sherman. I know people want to make Tru the next whipping boy, but this one was purely on Sherman.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information