So what receiver do we sign tomorrow? Or do we go PS?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I can see a few free agent receivers that might be a help right now. I personally would like to see Mike Williams return. He's a possession guy. He's tall. He might work well with RW3 for a couple of weeks while Baldwin and Edwards heal. Or do we just bring up Kearse? It seeems to me like Martin doesn't really offer anything. Not particularly fast, tall, etc. Has good hands, but we need somebody that can get open and get the ball. Williams is like a WR version of Miller, and Russ seems to be getting the hang of throwing to him. Is Mike just not ready to play or has he officially retired or what? I see a couple of other guys that are available that would be helpful, but if we are going to go with a lot of short passes (as we have been) then BMW makes some sense, and then throw long to Sid and Tate.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Butler sounds good. Young, fast, good hands, has a career ahead of him. He is a pretty good replacement for Baldwin for the time being I believe. They are pretty similar in size and work ethic.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
If we use Butler as a possession guy instead of what we "thought" he would be -- a down field threat because of his straight line speed - he might do some good.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I always thought Butler looked good in a role like Obomanu is used. He's sneaky. He can elevate and go low and catch the ball on short routes. I don't see any difference between him physically and that Mr. What's his head Sr. that tore us up today. Why we wouldn't have kept him around and instead kept Martin is getting more baffling by the week. Butler had an injury and wasn't drafted by this braintrust, but he is a hard worker and can catch the ball and run after the catch. Isn't this the kind of guy you want when you're working your short passing game 90% of the time when you are passing?

HawkWow

Reaction score
I remain surprized we (or anyone else) have not brought Burress in for a look. I doubt he's any worse than Edwards (or T.O.) and I doubt he'll ever shoot himself in the crotch again.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Hmmm... during the game, I wondered about receiver help, and I found myself wishing we still had Ricardo Lockett.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I think everybody assumed the Jets were ready to sign him considering how bad their offense is. When they didn't, then I think everybody decided there was something seriously wrong with his health or conditioning or attitude and he wasn't worth a look. I don't doubt he could really help a team, but after the Jets and Giants both passed then I felt the same thing I'm sure many GM's did.

mrblitz

Reaction score
Tuinei for the win! (edit: is he even available?)

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I noticed we were short as Turbin was lining up at WR several times when we went to 4 WR's and he was hurt at the time (he had injured his leg and had a hard time running). We are two receivers short right now roster wise though with both Edwards out and Baldwin out for an extended period. Edwards could very well return this week, but he could also have to undergo an arthroscopy on his knee to at the very least drain it and find out why it keeps swelling up. We're going to have to add somebody just to fill out the roster this week to replace Baldwin I think. Activating Martin helps, but he's just not that good unfortunately and usually doesn't play.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SharkHawk":386qkp25 said:
I think everybody assumed the Jets were ready to sign him considering how bad their offense is. When they didn't, then I think everybody decided there was something seriously wrong with his health or conditioning or attitude and he wasn't worth a look. I don't doubt he could really help a team, but after the Jets and Giants both passed then I felt the same thing I'm sure many GM's did.

I considered this but there was some special on Burress last week (or ?) that suggested he was fit and as solid as ever (!?). Apparently this show failed to impress even one GM so I think your theory holds much water.

I've been a fan of Butler's since PSU. I sincerely hope he gets another shot and believe there is a place for him in this league. Just unsure if it is with us (long term), not as long as we have Tate and Baldwin. That's too many non-giants for the taller plans of PC.

BillHawks

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder how good this team could be if we had one of those young guys like Green or Jones to just chuck the ball up to.

We already kind of do it with Tate, but he's 4-5 inches shorter than them.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
We have a guy like that in Rice. He's big, great hands, fast. He just needs other guys to take pressure off of him, as he did in Minnesota. They had a great running back a real impressive pass catching TE, and a QB that wasn't afraid to just chuck the ball up to him. He really put up some massive numbers in that season.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If there were a great WR .. he wouldn't be a FA.

Again - our problems aren't at WR. They had one bad game collectively against the 49ers.. aside from that they've been fine.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
With Baldwin out and Edwards knee flaring up, we have to sign someone just for numbers.

I like Butler -- but it could be Durham or one of the free agents.

No way we sign Owens .. I think he's totally done

rideaducati

Reaction score
Another WR is not needed. The guys on the team are getting better every week. This team is gradually getting better the longer they play together. Short and intermediate passes were lacking prior to this game and the offense took another step forward this week by including more of them. The Seahawks are in the midst of creating a new identity on offense. They want to be a balanced team and are doing what they can to take the steps needed to get there. The Seahawks fell short today, but overall the offense took a big step forward.

With the difficult part of the schedule out of the way, it will be smoother sailing from here on out. Plus, with the offense stepping up each week, by the time the playoffs roll around, Seattle will be poised to make a deep playoff run.

Step away from the W-L record as of now and look at the TEAM overall. They're actually doing quite well with a rookie at QB and are progressing nicely. Go back and watch every game in the order played and you'll definitely see it. I saw Russell more comfortable in the pocket this week than I've ever seen him.

It STILL feels like it's going to be a special season for the Seahawks to me.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Thanks Hawkstorian. That's all I'm saying. We're short at receiver now due to 2 players being physically unable to play. I wasn't blaming the game on the WR's. The offense put up 28 points. This was strictly a discussion on the roster being down 2 men that play WR coming into today's game and at least one of them who is expected to be out longer term. I'm sure the plan for today was just to activate Charley (which they did ) and Edwards would step in as a starter or at least get the majority of the reps in place of Baldwin (or whoever replaced Baldwin). Now we're just looking at numbers. I don't expect to sign a future superstar, but the management team has been good about finding some diamonds. I'm just wondering if any of our former guys (specifically BWM and Deon Butler) might be a wise choice to fill a slot for a few weeks, or if the team will just elevate Kearse from the PS and go with who we have.

I didn't bring it up... but, there is also a trade deadline coming up. Any "great" receivers available who have a team ready to dump them? I know that guy for the Jets is severely overrated and they've wanted out of his contract since before the ink dried (Santonio?), but I'd avoid him. He's overrated. Mike Walllace will likely be gone from Pitssburgh, but I'm not sure if he's worth risking any picks over, since he could leave at the end of the year and to me the guy is just Deion Branch part 2. Total system guy. I'm trying to think of a really good possession guy like Baldwin that may be up there in years and could be had on the cheap from a team going nowhere. Sort of a guy like Derek Mason was on the Ravens... a guy who was wrapping up his career, but still had enough in the tank to help for a few weeks and help get the team through the rough patch and also provide some leadership.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
rideaducati -- we have 4 healthy receivers right now -- there will be an addiition -- even if it's just someone off the PS.

SharkHawk -- I seriously doubt the Seahawks make a trade based on short term health issues. Just not their style.