Where is Bam Bam this season?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
First of all - it's important to know he is my favorite Hawk. So don't start in with the knee jerk and overreacting comments. It's ok to be critical of the team and it's players and still be a die hard.

But...I have to say, Kam has been very transparent this season. I'm not ready to call it a bad season, I just think I expcted more.

It's not just the lack of picks (he has none). I just don't see him making the big plays like he did last season.

I miss the dominating Kam.

Lithium

Reaction score
IMO he has been terrible in coverage this season, find myself wondering about him often during games

ensett

Reaction score
He is doing a lot more than it seems, hes had some great, timely tackles this season that were overshadows by other things.

mistaowen

Reaction score
It feels like both of our safeties are soo deep in coverage for some reason, especially on third downs. Add to that Wagner seems to be dropping too deep in his middle zone leaving the middle wide open where most of the passes go against us. Would be nice to see him and Earl lined up closer more often. Earl's one blitz was | | close to a sack and he tipped the ball, almost resulting in a pick.

We definitely need to make some schematic changes now that teams know how to beat our D. Hopefully that means more Kam and Earl.

cesame

Reaction score
Kam Chancellor was the main culprit in the Frank Gore runs

He took some really bad angles and shot through the wrong gap. It was disappointing to watch.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
mistaowen":1wlcwhex said:
It feels like both of our safeties are soo deep in coverage for some reason, especially on third downs. Add to that Wagner seems to be dropping too deep in his middle zone leaving the middle wide open where most of the passes go against us. Would be nice to see him and Earl lined up closer more often. Earl's one blitz was | | close to a sack and he tipped the ball, almost resulting in a pick.

We definitely need to make some schematic changes now that teams know how to beat our D. Hopefully that means more Kam and Earl.

Agreed...I've noticed that.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Here's what's happening, Kam isn't forcing fumbles or intercepting passes so everyone thinks he's disappeared. He's actually been better in coverage this year than last year. He still comes up in the running game and whacks the crap out of ball carriers.

And sorry, blaming him for those trap plays is insane. Thats on the d line.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2mpv0a3n said:
Here's what's happening, Kam isn't forcing fumbles or intercepting passes so everyone thinks he's disappeared. He's actually been better in coverage this year than last year. He still comes up in the running game and whacks the crap out of ball carriers.

So he only gets assessed for his play against the run?

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Selective reading. Nicely done. Read again, get back to me.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It does seem like instead of being there on time, he's a few steps late this year.

Also, Earl had a hell of a game today. He actually tipped a pass that he then went and intercepted 40 yards downfield. Daaaamn.

Just poking a bit of fun at you mistaowen.

cesame

Reaction score
seahawk2k":aw401wqi said:

Sorry, it was clearly on Chancellor. He whiffed big time.

It was a 1 on 1 situation and Chancellor didn't even come close.

ensett

Reaction score
I dont think you really blame a safety for runs up the middle

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Completely disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion. It all starts with the D line. Teams run trap plays because of overaggressive defensive linemen. He may have taken a poor angle, or missed a tackle, but those plays were open because Brandon Mebane and the rest of the interior defensive line not doing their job. You don't run trap plays to attack overaggressive linebackers and safeties, you run counters and stretch plays to do that. You run trap plays to attack the D line. Pure and simple.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I think this is the same thing Earl Thomas went through last year. In Earl's first year starting, he made tons of big plays, including 5 INTs.

Then last year he seemed to disappear even though most people said he had a better year. He tackled better, he missed fewer assignments, and he played more sound football.

Kam's first year starting was last year. Same thing. He made some splashy plays, but this year I think he is playing some pretty sound, good football. Not showing up in INTs, but he is making a lot of tackles and laying the wood when he can.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches said that Kam is having a better year this year than last, just like Earl last year.

cesame

Reaction score
It's simple.

Chancellor was in position to make the tackle. He was playing close to the line and in a 1 on 1 situation he chose the wrong gap.

I'll find a replay if I can. It was really disappointing to watch.

cesame

Reaction score
At the end of the play you even see Chancellor punch the ground as if he knows he messed that one up.

redhawk253

Reaction score
Did nobody see the 40 plus yard td kam gave up to young when we had a ten point lead? It was pretty clear to me that sherman was playing as if he expected help over the top as he was already helping vs the slot.... In the end i think its poor coaching.. Sherman has displayed that he has elite skills and can handle the load vs any receiver out there.. Treat him more like revis.. Hell treat both our corners like that.. Im tired of pete going away from our strengths. Our guys were really playing pretty well... Were just seriously getting out coached on a normal basis. Pete needs to get some wiley veteran o and d coordinators or he just needs to start listening to them.. I dunno.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
mistaowen":sitocqou said:

I touched on this a bit and those drops are by design. Tampa 2 is useful, but we do it far too much and teams are attacking what they're expecting, which is the Tampa 2. The difference between a standard cover 2 and a Tampa 2 is the depth of the zone drop of the MLB. Other than that they're the same. Safeties have deep half and the corners have the flat while also covering back to the 10 yard area on the sideline. OLBs are stressed more in the short zones in the Tampa 2 and teams have been eating away at that making our OLBs choose between the various out and in patterns by TEs, slot, and backs. They're crossing it up a lot. TE will run an out and they'll run a HB or FB angle underneath or have the TE cross the face of a LB in a cross or in pattern and sneak the HB outside. Slot WRs are obviously getting into the action too. Teams have been sending a guy in the deep seam and running Wagner off deep and beating us up underneath. Classic way to attack the TAMPA 2. They're also getting into that area between the safety and CB along the sideline. Again, stressing the CB to make a choice to come up shallow or get deeper. A good example of this would be some of our red zone D. On the one touchdown Browner wasn't going to let Megatron get behind him and left the other WR in the flat. He was too late and it was a TD. FF a couple quarters and you have Sherman in that scenario on the other side of the field. Sherman let Megatron get behind him because he also has to worry about the receiver in the flat. Sherman took the shallow part of the zone and the safety didn't get over. Classic way to attack the cover 2 AND tampa 2. Luckly Megatron dropped the TD.

These things aren't that complicated and we're not adjusting. We're not mixing up our coverages near enough and teams are figuring out what they can attack. No one is attacking a particular player on our D. They're attacking our predictable design.

Either Gus or Pete REALLY needs to step it up. Not sure who, be need better diversity and better mixture.