Why does Sidney Rice keep slowing down?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Why does Sidney Rice keep slowing down?
Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:09 am
  • 2nd time
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• He must be having an issue spotting the ball.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• That is exactly what I thought - not the greatest throw but it would have been better if Rice didn't slow down.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• Yea, he has.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I think he slowed down because he was open.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• Better question is.. how did Wilson miss him running free down the sideline and why did he throw it to their safety.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Rice had already slowed down and Russ had already seen Rice slow down when he threw it

That is all on Russ
    Vpk0718
    NET Starter

• Rice was a big part of that INT. Seemed to give up.
    OutfieldGrass
    NET Bench Warmer

• Rice slowed down because he was in a hole in the zone. Long route wasn't open as we saw. That mid route where he was was wide open
    Last edited by wanderinghawk on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
    wanderinghawk
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Hasselbeck wrote:Better question is.. how did Wilson miss him running free down the sideline and why did he throw it to their safety.

Thank you...
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• He slowed down cause he was wide open.
    Sturm
    NET Veteran

• OutfieldGrass wrote:Rice was a big part of that INT. Seemed to give up.

Yup. He at worst breaks it up if he keeps running.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• He slowed down because he was sitting in the biggest window I've ever seen. Wilson needed to throw it 5 yards in front of where he stopped, instead he went 20 yards in front.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:He slowed down because he was sitting in the biggest window I've ever seen. Wilson needed to throw it 5 yards in front of where he stopped, instead he went 20 yards in front.

Yep. Throw should've been on a rope.
    BWRyan
    NET Veteran

• Rice put his hand up as a signal to Wilson to throw it deep. He called for that throw.

It's the same thing Randy Moss does
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• No, Rice put his hand up to tell him he was open, not to throw it deep.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• OutfieldGrass wrote:Rice was a big part of that INT. Seemed to give up.

I guess you and I are the only ones who saw it this way. Rice cant let a 4th string cb outhustle him for the ball.
    Makes me want to throw out my mouthpiece.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• As he kept running up the sideline...

He never sat down in a window, sorry
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• It was definatly a bad throw by Russell... i'd put 90% of it on him. But i did feel like Rice could have made a better effort to break it up.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• You seriously need to watch the play again. Rice got by the CB and sat down in the zone, just like he should have done. Wilson led him into the safety instead.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• He kept going up the sideline

Never sat down
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• cesame wrote:As he kept running up the sideline...

You're right, he didn't stop, he slowed down. If he had stopped he would have been standing next to the CB. If he had ran full speed, he would have ran right into the safety. Wilson led him into the safety anyway.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• There is no way you can blame that on Rice. If Wilson throws into the giant window Rice had run into then we are likely still ahead. Instead Wilson chucked it deep and Rice was forced to speed up again and the safety cherry picked it. Not Rice's fault at all.

It's OK to say Wilson makes a mistake people. The football Gods won't punish you for pointing out the obvious.
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    cesame wrote:As he kept running up the sideline...

You're right, he didn't stop, he slowed down. If he had stopped he would have been standing next to the CB. If he had ran full speed, he would have ran right into the safety. Wilson led him into the safety anyway.

Again, Rice threw his hand up and kept running up the sideline. That's asking for a down field throw.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• cesame wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    cesame wrote:As he kept running up the sideline...

Again, Rice threw his hand up and kept running up the sideline. That's asking for a down field throw.

No, it absolutely is not. He was calling for the ball because he was WIDE open, Wilson threw it to the safety.
    Last edited by XxXdragonXxX on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Sure it is.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• Ok, so I guess Rice slowed down and waved for a deep ball...yeah that makes so much sense.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• It's the 2nd time today he's done it
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• I will have to remember that. Every time a player raises his hand that means throw it deep.
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Hasselbeck wrote:Better question is.. how did Wilson miss him running free down the sideline and why did he throw it to their safety.

That interception was all on Wilson, dude was wide open had 5 yards on the coverage and he floated it up there too far. Long enough that a linebacker had time to cross the field, cut him off.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• I guess the fact that Wilson said after the game that he thought Rice putting up his hand meant he was going deep versus Rice saying I am open, throw it now. I know in the end it is on the QB but this is yet another example of not being familiar with one another.

It does take awhile for this type of info to filter out, but once the facts are known maybe a revisit from those pointing fingers is in order. Or not if it doesn't fit the agenda. Both parties share the blame. Maybe 90% is right?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• drdiags wrote:I guess the fact that Wilson said after the game that he thought Rice putting up his hand meant he was going deep versus Rice saying I am open, throw it now. I know in the end it is on the QB but this is yet another example of not being familiar with one another.

It does take awhile for this type of info to filter out, but once the facts are known maybe a revisit from those pointing fingers is in order. Or not if it doesn't fit the agenda. Both parties share the blame. Maybe 90% is right?

Post of the week.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Rice slowed down on the post, FOR SURE. He gave up on the route and that was the foot he ended up being overthrown by.

That's why it pissed me off Rice was throwing a tantrum in SF. He's the last person to say anything, he's good for a mental boner a game, at least one.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• this one was on RW, having said that... i think it's hilarious you flynnites will take any thread subject and turn it around to a RW bashing thread... it's beyond ridiculous at this point... he made a bad throw, whoopty doo, it happens, it's not the harderst position on the football field for nothing. why don't you guys start your own , "We Love Matt Flynn" thread and you guys can go to town with all this stuff, cuz frankly i'm getting tired of you poluting every threads with this garbage....
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• It is going to take awhile for the passing game to be in sync. Remember Hass' first year?

After that , he was throwing the ball sooner, which Wilson will learn to do. Remember, he IS still learning and is a rookie.

Yeah, Rice delayed a microsecond on that long ball up the middle. The pass still hit his hands, and he admitted he should have caught it. But that little milisecond prevented his body from being in the perfect place to haul it in.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• endzorn wrote:There is no way you can blame that on Rice. If Wilson throws into the giant window Rice had run into then we are likely still ahead. Instead Wilson chucked it deep and Rice was forced to speed up again and the safety cherry picked it. Not Rice's fault at all.

It's OK to say Wilson makes a mistake people. The football Gods won't punish you for pointing out the obvious.

No man, its even worse because Wilson IS the football god! To say anything negative about his performance is utter blasphemy to many worshipers around here.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Rice slowed down a very noticeable amount to wave his arm. Had he just kept going, which is what Wilson expected, (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) it would have been a catch or incomplete pass, most likely.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• If I am not mistaken, the sideline INT occured on a first down pass like so many here have been clamoring for. AND it followed the nice ET INT. Whatever and whenever it occurred-it felt like the most dramatic loss of momentum in the game. I thought we were going to put them away at that point.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Holy sh*t, how is saying Russel Wilson is at fault for the pick "Wilson bashing" ?

As has been stated above, this one is 90% on Wilson. You can obviously see the hole in the zone, and Rice slowed down to stay in it. You don't stop a route, or the coverage catches up to you. If he keeps running, he runs into the safety, and either gets blown up, or it's an incompletion. Rice has more experience than WIlson, and I'm trusting he had the right read on this play.

I also agree he could've sped up to try to break up the INT, but we're assuming he knew Wilson was going to overthrow him, and also assuming he knew exactly where the FS was, which are both assumptions we can't make. Also, he slowed down to sit in that window, maybe he didn't have the acceleration to catch back up to the play. It's definately a miss by the QB here.

Now, the end zone play, he slowed down a bit and it's all on him. Wilson threw that ball to the right spot, and it looked like Rice lost it in the lights.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information