Russell Wilson had a great game.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Russell Wilson had a great game.
Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:33 pm
  • HawkAroundTheClock wrote:Q B O T F

We are at the very beginning of a new era. Great game for this point in his career. A year from now, I expect better. A year after that, I expect pro-bowl performances. For years to come.

Wouldn't that be something! Very excited by his progress and basically the only salve for this game.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:39 pm
  • Sprfunk wrote:All three phases...
    Can we please have a total game from O D and ST?
    Still a lot of time left though.

Can anyone share the last time we played a reputable team and won with a total game ????
    TLD0550
    NET Starter

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:56 pm
  • I will say that is nice to have a Seahawks qb that can throw the long ball.Love that Wilson goes deeeep at least once a game.
    yummy down on this throbbing pole of hot man chicken.
    legend38
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:37 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    mikeak wrote:So for those that say it wasn't good / great. Dies your opinion change if the deep pass to Rice is 2 inches shorter / Rice waits another second to turn his head and
    catches that deep ball?

Ah.. yup.

We lost by 4.. Wilson left at least 10 points out there.

And this is what I disagree with. Receiver starts looking early slows down or a pass is a few inches overthrown due to a myriad of reason. This can change the outcome of the game but does not alter if a qb played good. Unless it is a continuous issue...

The first drive run 1st, run 2nd pass 3rd. Not critiquing the call (even if I didn't like it) but you can't blame the qb. The redline is tight and especially within the last 10 yards. To have one attempt is not leaving points on the field...
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:10 pm
  • Wilson is now playing at the adequate level we need for this team to win with the defense we had. Unfortunately, now that defense seems to have been exposed due to an inability to stop the dink and dunk. I also think the loss of Jones hurt us immensely. Our 4 man rush was enough with him out there, now it isn't.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:21 pm
  • He's improving and that's what he needed to show as a rookie. We can't ask for much more than that.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:35 pm
  • Bakergirl wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:The int was pretty bad, but otherwise he was solid.

I don't think it was all that bad. Int on a long ball attempt...could have happened to anyone really.

On a side note, I see there are still a lot of people around here wearing Flynn colored glasses.

It was bad because there was a very large window where he could make a much safer throw and still get a big gain. He waited too long and even then if he throws a little short it's probably a long completion, but instead he goes too deep and doesn't notice the safety waiting there to rob him. It was his biggest mistake of the game and it cost us, but it didn't cost us the game. 1 big mistake in an overall very well played game by the young QB.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 am
  • I believe today's game proves RW3 should immediately be enshrined in the HOF and Ring of Honor.....oh, yeah, and retire his number too.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:09 am
  • Ah, c'mon. Put it into context and he was gr8 like Sugar Frosted Flakes!

He was:
    -Great compared to his week one performance.
    -Great compared to most any 3rd round rookie starter
    -Great in the pocket compared to most ANY rookie starter
    -Great composure for a rookie

A great NFL QB? Not yet, as he will readily admit. Can we stop with the Hyperbole? I don't recall any posts in this thread stating that RW has reached great NFL QB status, is an HOFer, has become an all-pro or otherwise.

For all of you that just like to strike out at something after a loss, the 'D' (or lack of) is a much more deserving target, IMO. To the Flynn boosters, sorry, I don't have an answer for that obsession.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:17 am
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:Ah, c'mon. Put it into context and he was gr8 like Sugar Frosted Flakes!

He was:
    -Great compared to his week one performance.
    -Great compared to most any 3rd round rookie starter
    -Great in the pocket compared to most ANY rookie starter
    -Great composure for a rookie

A great NFL QB? Not yet, as he will readily admit. Can we stop with the Hyperbole? I don't recall any posts in this thread stating that RW has reached great NFL QB status, is an HOFer, has become an all-pro or otherwise.

For all of you that just like to strike out at something after a loss, the 'D' (or lack of) is a much more deserving target, IMO. To the Flynn boosters, sorry, I don't have an answer for that obsession.

Saying he was great because "compared to how he played before" is like saying Ryan Leaf was great because he threw less INT than a previous game or kicked and screamed less than he had two weeks prior.

While I agree that he looked very good and like a starting caliber QB, we have to also understand this was against a terrible Detroit passing D, then also realize they were missing multiple starters in their secondary. He was great compared to how he has looked on the road, but in real terms, he was merely adequate.

Wilson appears to be making strides, which is exciting. But he also keeps making a lot of mistakes. That INT should have been thrown 5-10 yards shorter and 3 seconds earlier where/when Rice was actually wide open, screaming for the ball. It was a rookie mistake, I get that, but it was still a terrible choice and not one a QB that played a great game makes.
    rsRyno
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:30 am
  • rsRyno wrote:we have to also understand this was against a terrible Detroit passing D, then also realize they were missing multiple starters in their secondary. He was great compared to how he has looked on the road, but in real terms, he was merely adequate.

Just to correct some misconceptions here, according to the stats, the Detroit passing defense was ranked as a top 10 unit in yards allowed this season. In 6 games, they had allowed over 250 yards only twice, and had held opponents to under 200 yards on 3 different occasions. Their biggest problem is that they're not forcing turnovers.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:36 am
  • Looked ok, not great... offense scored enough to win it but he really looked like a great rookie.

I'm not a hater, just calling it.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 am
  • Umm, Wilson DIDN'T overthrow Rice. Rice messed up that route, period. I swear, some of you just make isht up/

Also, the INT, according to Wilson, Sydney put his hand up which means "I'm going to go on a go route", but in that instance Sydney just meant, "throw it now". Miscommunication which wont happen again - I dont see RW duplicating mistakes.

But, Wilson overthrew RICE on that drop? Dude, in film today, Rice will be getting ripped, not Wilson.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:21 am
  • pehawk wrote:Umm, Wilson DIDN'T overthrow Rice. Rice messed up that route, period. I swear, some of you just make isht up/

Also, the INT, according to Wilson, Sydney put his hand up which means "I'm going to go on a go route", but in that instance Sydney just meant, "throw it now". Miscommunication which wont happen again - I dont see RW duplicating mistakes.

But, Wilson overthrew RICE on that drop? Dude, in film today, Rice will be getting ripped, not Wilson.

Wilson gave rice a chance and trusted he would get the ball. Rice didn't see the safety.........

Its really on Rice to go up and grab that ball.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:23 am
  • I think we're talking seperate plays. I put the INT 80/20 Wilson and Rice.

But, the post (I think it was), early, Rice loafed on his route.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:31 am
  • A great game for Wilson is different than a great game for Rodgers or Brady. Russ played great considering where he is at and what we can ask of him, and played a pretty good game for most NFL QB's.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:33 am
  • Wilson is getting better and better, which is exciting. Considering we were playing without Baldwin and Edwards yesterday, I'll take the day he put up.

It was nice to see McCoy get involved in the offense again, and of course to see Miller finally hit pay dirt.

There are still refinements - we all won't agree on the interception but I personally felt if Wilson throws that on a line there instead of floating it a bit that has a better chance.

I will say this - his pocket presence and decision making is way better than week #1. He obviously learns from his mistakes, which is a great sign. Not a surprise to me - I clamored for him in the draft for a reason after watching him the last few seasons.

The ONLY thing that worries me about Wilson right now is the tendency to always escape the pocket to the right when he feels pressure in his face. The commentator yesterday (I believe Tim Ryan) mentioned that he noticed it watching film as well.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:36 am
  • On the dropped post to Rice and even the TD to Miller, each was a case of the WR needing to trust their QB more. In each case, the receiver assumed the play had stopped behind them. Miller recovered, Rice didn't, unfortunately.

The WR's will learn to run through the ENTIRE play, that Wilson will keep things alive, and they will be found.

It's just unfamiliarity at this point. Would be the same thing with Flynn too.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:09 am
  • pehawk wrote:On the dropped post to Rice and even the TD to Miller, each was a case of the WR needing to trust their QB more. In each case, the receiver assumed the play had stopped behind them. Miller recovered, Rice didn't, unfortunately.

The WR's will learn to run through the ENTIRE play, that Wilson will keep things alive, and they will be found.

Who? Its safe to say we don't need to talk about him anymore.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:14 am
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    pehawk wrote:On the dropped post to Rice and even the TD to Miller, each was a case of the WR needing to trust their QB more. In each case, the receiver assumed the play had stopped behind them. Miller recovered, Rice didn't, unfortunately.

Why not? He is on the team, we need a solid backup as who knows what could happen.
    TorontoHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 am
  • TorontoHawk wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:
    pehawk wrote:On the dropped post to Rice and even the TD to Miller, each was a case of the WR needing to trust their QB more. In each case, the receiver assumed the play had stopped behind them. Miller recovered, Rice didn't, unfortunately.

Why not? He is on the team, we need a solid backup as who knows what could happen.

Do you think Redskin fans waste their time talking about Kirk Cousins? Dolphin fans Matt Moore? Bengals fans...i dont even know who the back up is?
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:58 am
  • Who? Its safe to say we don't need to talk about him anymore.[/quote]

Why not? He is on the team, we need a solid backup as who knows what could happen.[/quote]

Do you think Redskin fans waste their time talking about Kirk Cousins? Dolphin fans Matt Moore? Bengals fans...i dont even know who the back up is?[/quote]

Dont' really care about other fan sites. People can talk about the backup long snapper for all I care if that is what they choose to talk about.
    TorontoHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:23 am
  • A great game? The offense didn't convert on 3rd down till the 3rd quarter. The offense disappeared after the first quarter, again, and for most of the game until the middle of the 4th quarter. In what sense is that good? It happens every game, and that is not good. This site lives in a Russel Wilson bubble always trying to say no matter what he had a good game. You look at his stats and say "Oh, he had a great game." When what was happening on the field says exactly the opposite. He didn't have a bad game, despite the interception that lead to a Lions TD, but under no measure did he have a "great" game.

What he did have was a good drive at the end of the game to take the lead back that the defense promptly lost. Other then that he did not have a good game.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 am
  • pehawk wrote:On the dropped post to Rice and even the TD to Miller, each was a case of the WR needing to trust their QB more. In each case, the receiver assumed the play had stopped behind them. Miller recovered, Rice didn't, unfortunately.

Rice didn't stop, Wilson overthrew him.. and even with that Sidney almost made an amazing catch

The interception was downright terrible, Rice had no one 20 yards near him and Wilson threw it right to the safety.

He's playing better, but those are two throws you have to make in this league.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:45 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:

Rice didn't stop, Wilson overthrew him.. and even with that Sidney almost made an amazing catch

The interception was downright terrible, Rice had no one 20 yards near him and Wilson threw it right to the safety.

I hate to say this, but no matter how bad of an INT Wilson throws somebody here will always try to pin it on the receiver. Same with overthrows or miscommunication. It was pretty obvious live and on replay Rice didn't give up on the play when he dropped the fingertip grab. At first I thought Miller had given up on the play on his TD, but on replay I didn't see him slowing down, just him adjusting really well to the ball.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:49 am
  • He had a great game. I love his progression. Too bad the offense is progressing while the defense seems to be regressing.
    MexHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:56 am
  • MexHawk wrote:He had a great game. I love his progression. Too bad the offense is progressing while the defense seems to be regressing.

I think he is improving, but yesterday was far from a great game, only way you have a great game is if you win. The future is bright for RW.
    TorontoHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:59 am
  • Entirely disagree on the Rice fingertip near-catch. He changed his route during.

The Miller TD, yeah, I was wrong on that one. But, no way on the Rice post. He altered his route.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 am
  • There is no doubt in my mind of two things...

1) Wilson played a very good game overall today. His numbers prove it and just watching the game should be evidence enough. he looked calm and executed well in and out of the pocket (mostly out). Was fairly accurate, although he missed on a few throws. I think every qb has a few throws that aren't on the money, it's the nature of the game, but overall it was a very nice performance. I was very happy to see him getting Rice and Miller involved again. This gives me hope for the future.

2) That INT he threw was on Wilson. Rice had ran his route so that he had gotten past the corner and was well short of the Safety. If Wilson plays catch and throws that ball to Rice, we have a very nice completion and Rice just needs to juke the safety to take it to the house. Instead, Wilson either didn't see the safety and tried to lead Rice, or just plain overthrew him. either way, it was a mistake by Wilson.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:15 am
  • razor150 wrote: Rice didn't give up on the play when he dropped the fingertip grab. At first I thought Miller had given up on the play on his TD, but on replay I didn't see him slowing down, just him adjusting really well to the ball.

I agree that Rice didn't give up early BUT

Rice turns his head way early. Whenever you run forward with your head turned backwards you run slower. In this case slower enough that the ball misses with a few inches. When should he have turned his head / turned it back etc - I don't know how the play was exactly laid out / practiced so I can't tell. But you can't look at that play and say WR screwed up / QB screwed up they almost perfectly executed it and some detailed change means that instead of 50+ yards you get nothing. That is the risk with deep balls and to me it was a great play almost perfectly executed and I am not going to blame RW for it not working out. He has shown that the deep ball can be thrown

To his stat also have that long play that got arm-guard / PI in the first half. It doesn't count to his yards but it is a positive play from a deep pass
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:53 am
  • I am not blaming RW for the near miss on that fingertip grab. It doesn't take much to throw it off, it is why long balls are a low percentage play. If I would say anything about it, it is that he goes deep too much during a game when things are open underneath. I am not sure if that is something he does on his own or is what Bevell and Carroll want from him. Maybe it is a little of both.

As far as Rice changing his route, don't know if that is true or not, if Rice or Wilson says that is what happened then it is a miscommunication between them. That is something that is solved over time.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 am
  • The INT was on Wilson. He forced it late. Saw Rice's arm up and tried to make a play. But I've seen Pro Bowlers make the same sort of throw.

My first impression of the Sydney post pass was that he took a bad angle and knew it. He veered off a step early and it's just one of those things where you hope with more time together the communication and trust is a little better.

Even after the loss I found it hard not to be excited about Wilson. How many 4th quarter scores is that to put us in a position to win? If he keeps it up he's going to help us win a lot of games.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:57 am
  • razor150 wrote:I am not blaming RW for the near miss on that fingertip grab. It doesn't take much to throw it off, it is why long balls are a low percentage play. If I would say anything about it, it is that he goes deep too much during a game when things are open underneath. I am not sure if that is something he does on his own or is what Bevell and Carroll want from him. Maybe it is a little of both.

As far as Rice changing his route, don't know if that is true or not, if Rice or Wilson says that is what happened then it is a miscommunication between them. That is something that is solved over time.

I dont know for sure anymore either. At first glance it appeared Miller was expecting anything BUT the ball on the TD, but after further examination that's wrong.

Rice looked to break his route up a bit more than he should have. Again, on first glance, that's what I saw. But, who knows.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:57 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:The ONLY thing that worries me about Wilson right now is the tendency to always escape the pocket to the right when he feels pressure in his face. The commentator yesterday (I believe Tim Ryan) mentioned that he noticed it watching film as well.

This is the best thing he can possibly do since it is usually McQuistan or Giacomini who are getting beaten. With their defender taking the inside line towards where Wilson should be stepping up into, Wilson flushing out to their side forces them to try and change directions. Which, with Wilson's speed, he can easily move away from them and find passing lanes. It also helps that that is his throwing hand, but after that gorgeous pass to Golden Tate across his body while rolling to his left a few games ago, I don't think it's that much of an issue.
    FIRE CABLE!
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:31 pm
  • His tendency to sprint right worried me going into Motown. I was concerned he would get frustrated with a collapsing pocket and want to throw back to the middle of the field and across his body, getting picked in the process. He didn't do that. He's not your average rookie QB. It won't surprize me if he's ultimately considered the steal of the '12 draft.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:38 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:The interception was downright terrible, Rice had no one 20 yards near him and Wilson threw it right to the safety.

And he has made them repeatedly in the last three weeks. The pick was bad, but it wasn't typical of his recent performance nor an example of his continuing failure to develop.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:45 am
  • Wilson had an ESPN QBR over 93 in that game. 18th best performance by any QB in the league in the QBR system in all of 2012. Even with the whose fault is it pick.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Next

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information