Lions Injury Situation

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'm frankly very surprised that this hasn't gotten a lot more play than it has, as I see the injury situation potentially affecting the Lions defense tomorrow.

I mentioned it yesterday that Jacob Lacey (the Lions starting RCB) and Amari Spievey (the Lions starting SS) are both OUT for this game with concussions.

This morning, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press is reporting that DeAndre Levy (Right Outside LB) is expected to miss this game as well (Hamstring issue), replaced by Ashlee Palmer (who hasn't started a game since 2010).

Just a little snippet on the potential impact of Levy's absence ...
Levy has "probably been the best overall (linebacker we've had) through the games we've played," defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said. "The other two guys (Durant and Stephen Tulloch) have had good games and dropped off a little bit here or there, but he's been the most consistent by far.
http://www.freep.com/article/201210...arshawn-Lynch?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Also this from Birkett's piece yesterday regarding other key injuries ...

Cornerback Bill Bentley (shoulder) is questionable to play but did not work with the Lions’ first-team nickel defense in practice today.

Cliff Avril (back), Louis Delmas (knee) and Titus Young (knee) are officially listed as questionable, but all are expected to play Sunday. Delmas did not practice today, and Young did not finish practice.
http://www.freep.com/article/201210...t-injuries?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

I'm not sure what to make of Bentley's absence -- he's listed as Jacob Lacey's backup at RCB. If HE doesn't play as well, you're talking about really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

At any rate, it's hard to believe that these situations couldn't have a potential impact on this game tomorrow. This looks to me like a pretty banged up Lions defense (especially the secondary). For all that we who have been crying for Carroll and Bevell to un-cage Russell Wilson and the passing offense ... this might be a golden opportunity to take some chances and to let the young Hawks fly.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
hawksfan515":337yzuxv said:
Man if Louis Delmas doesn't play as well.... Wow are the Lions looking screwed.

Even if Delmas does play, my question is, "How effective is he going to be?" A Free Safety's effectivenss is largely (or often should I say) based upon speed. Delmas had knee surgery back in August ...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...etroit-lions-safety-louis-delmas-surgery-knee

So, it looks to me like he's still recovering from that. Could that have an impact as well?

Seahawker86

Reaction score
listen, this game should be an easy win. Lions can't run the ball and we have the best secondary in the league. Their defense is already suspect so this should be a walk in the park

hawksfan515

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":htee2iaq said:
listen, this game should be an easy win. Lions can't run the ball and we have the best secondary in the league. Their defense is already suspect so this should be a walk in the park

Any NFL team can beat any other NFL team. This isn't college.

grizbob

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":2w8mgb8n said:

Unfortunatly, in this world, should be and is are often two different things :stirthepot:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kthebestwayw":3f3yqjdc said:
Their defense is already suspect so this should be a walk in the park

That is usually the kiss of death. Thanks alot. :stirthepot:

Jiggy

Reaction score
This game will be decided between our O Line and the Lions D Line... If our O line can win the battle in either passing or running, I would say the odds are weighted heavily in our favor to win this game.

If their D line can stop both the run and pass, I think this game will come down to who kicks the last FG. Sadly, the Lions D line is good enough to do that.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I didn't know Levy was doubtful. He is the anchor of that Run D- even more than Tulloch. Anyone have a report on Delmas status?

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
This game will be decided between our O Line and the Lions D Line... If our O line can win the battle in either passing or running, I would say the odds are weighted heavily in our favor to win this game.

If their D line can stop both the run and pass, I think this game will come down to who kicks the last FG. Sadly, the Lions D line is good enough to do that.

I agree to a point -- but their D-Line is a bit hobbled as well. Avril's questionable with Back Issues -- to me, that's a bit more than just a little nagging backache. He may play ... but I highly doubt he's going to be his old self.

lukerguy":36jzdtm7 said:
I didn't know Levy was doubtful. He is the anchor of that Run D- even more than Tulloch. Anyone have a report on Delmas status?

On Delmas ... just page up -- very first post.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The DL really isn't hobbled much, and that's the strength of the Lions' D. The amount of pressure they can generate in the base set makes losing players from the secondary less of a consequence.

@the poster saying 'easy win' this team has not yet shown the consistency on the road to win games it is supposed to win, so I would say a W is far from in the bag. That said, we definitely have a chance. A pefect weekend would be Hawks and Cardinals wins this weekend :)

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":pqa83ddq said:
The DL really isn't hobbled much, and that's the strength of the Lions' D. The amount of pressure they can generate in the base set makes losing players from the secondary less of a consequence.

Well, I guess I was more referring more to Cliff Avril specifically than the Lions DL as a whole -- he is a very big part of what they do up front, BTW (he leads the Lions with 4.5 Sacks). He's officially listed as "Questionable" with a back issue, which is supposed to mean that the player has a 50-50 Chance of playing. Now, we all know how THAT works -- teams either over-blow or minimize their injury report all the time, so getting an accurate read on how injured any player truly is can be a bit difficult.

Now I went back and did a little research, trying to look for the Lions injury report heading in to the Bears game. Cliff Avril had the exact same back issue listed heading in to the Bears game. He was limited in practice that week as well ... BUT as of the Saturday heading in to that game ... Avril was listed as PROBABLE. Now, he's listed as QUESTIONABLE with that back issue heading in to today. Hmmm ... I don't know what to make of that exactly -- your guess is as good as mine.

Perhaps the Lions ARE a little more honest than most though ... because heading in to their game against the Bears, DT Corey Williams had been limited in practice as well and was listed as QUESTIONABLE. Williams didn't end up playing in that Bears game. This week, he's listed as PROBABLE.

Other things of note in comparing that final injury report heading in to the Bears game to the final one heading in to this game ...

FS Louis Delmas -- (again, the Lions best defender in the Secondary and a Pro Bowl alternate last year) was a full participant that Saturday heading in to the Bears game and was listed as PROBABLE. He did play in that Bears game. As of yesterday, the Lions still had Delmas listed as QUESTIONABLE for the Seahawks game.

CB Bill Bentley was a limited participant in practice heading in to the Bears game and had been listed as DOUBTFUL (shoulder). He didn't end up playing in that game. This week, he's been upgraded to QUESTIONABLE. That could be a big blow if he didn't play as well because starting CB Jacob Lacey is out with a Concussion. The Lions had Jonte Green and Alphonso Smith playing back there in the Bears game. Yep -- the same Alphonso Smith that the Broncos had to have so badly that they traded their 1st Round Pick in 2010 to the Seahawks for our 2nd Rounder in 2009 in order to select him. That 1st Round pick (of course) became Earl Thomas ... while the Broncos figured out real quick that Smith wasn't all he was cracked up to be and traded him to the Lions.

WR Titus Young (a speedster) -- was limited in practice heading in to the Bears game and was listed as PROBABLE with a knee issue. As of Saturday (this week), Young is listed as QUESTIONABLE.

Here are those 2 reports for those who might be interested ...

http://detroit.sbnation.com/lions/2012/10/20/3532136/bears-lions-injury-report-2012

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/custom-injury-report.html

I agree with you completely that their DL is the strength of that defense. If Unger can company can hold up at the point of attack and not let those guys dominate at the line of scrimmage ... then I'm feeling really good about this game. IMO, that's as much of a Key to this game as anything.

The fact that DeAndre Levy (their most consistent and probably best LB) will more than likely be out for this game as well could loom quite large (he's listed as DOUBTFUL with a Hamstring issue). He has 37 Tackles this season (3rd most tackles on the team) including 5 Tackles for Loss this season. This would be the equivalent of KJ Wright being out.

@the poster saying 'easy win' this team has not yet shown the consistency on the road to win games it is supposed to win, so I would say a W is far from in the bag. That said, we definitely have a chance. A pefect weekend would be Hawks and Cardinals wins this weekend :)

I completely agree 100%.