Why the obsession with passing?

SuperBowlXLChamps

Reaction score
Why does everyone think we need to go out and basically abandon the run (like the rest of the league) and air it out? I have no problem being 55% Run plays and 45% Pass plays. If Wilson doesn't throw those picks in the Rams game and we don't have all those WR drops in the 49ers game we easily could have won one if not both of those games. I really don't have much of a problem with the playcalling, it's the execution. Throwing more times just increases the chances of turnovers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Who wants to abandon the run?

This is about predictability. When the Hawks lead the league by a mile in running the ball on 1st AND 2nd down, that's too predictable..........which means the defense can game plan for that and make it hard for Wilson and the offense to do anything.

All we're saying is let's mix it up and throw on 1st down once in a while so that Wilson isn't bum rushed on 3rd and five 90% of the time.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I don't think "everyone " thinks we need to go out and abandon the run.

I know I think we definitely need to score more points than we have been this year.

By whatever means to that end.

I LOVE Marshawn in every conceivable way. That's right!

And it pains me to see his efforts lead to field goal attempts and narrow victories or close defeats.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SuperBowlXLChamps":3jratxot said:
Why does everyone think we need to go out and basically abandon the run (like the rest of the league) and air it out? I have no problem being 55% Run plays and 45% Pass plays. If Wilson doesn't throw those picks in the Rams game and we don't have all those WR drops in the 49ers game we easily could have won one if not both of those games. I really don't have much of a problem with the playcalling, it's the execution. Throwing more times just increases the chances of turnovers.

Nobody, and I mean nobody wants to abandon the run, but when the other team puts 8 or more men in the box to stop the run, you HAVE to be able to pass the ball consistently to get them out of that scenario or else you will end up kicking lots of field goals, and getting fewer opportunities for big plays out of the running game.

What you seem to be doing, is confusing the call for a better passing attack to help the running game for people calling for more passing taking away from the running game. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that in this forum, the huge majority of the fans believe that Lynch is a huge factor in our offense

OP
OP
S

SuperBowlXLChamps

Reaction score
kidhawk":3b00k2yi said:
SuperBowlXLChamps":3b00k2yi said:

Nobody, and I mean nobody wants to abandon the run, but when the other team puts 8 or more men in the box to stop the run, you HAVE to be able to pass the ball consistently to get them out of that scenario or else you will end up kicking lots of field goals, and getting fewer opportunities for big plays out of the running game.

What you seem to be doing, is confusing the call for a better passing attack to help the running game for people calling for more passing taking away from the running game. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that in this forum, the huge majority of the fans believe that Lynch is a huge factor in our offense
And I agree we have to have a better, more efficient passing attack (with less INTs, especially on the road). But I don't see the need to be pass happy like the rest of the league like some on here are calling for. 55 run/45 pass even 60 run/40 pass would be fine by me.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I think they could increase Wilson's attempts by 5-8 per game and still be a balanced team (which, for the record, seems to be the idea... Carroll has never said he wants an offense that favors the run OVER the pass). And even if they did so, that would put us around middle-of-the-pack in attempts per game.

But I don't think just more attempts is the way to solve the passing game problems. I think the coaching staff needs to do a better job about the timing of the pass plays they currently run. Part of the reason that our passing game has suffered is that it's been far, far too predictable - particularly in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. When it's been scripted (in the 1st quarter) or is part of a comeback effort (in the 4th quarter), it has actually functioned relatively well. The team has to find a way to address the lull they seem to get mired in during the middle part of the game, and I think that falls on the coaching staff.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SuperBowlXLChamps":31rtbjg7 said:
But I don't see the need to be pass happy like the rest of the league like some on here are calling for. 55 run/45 pass even 60 run/40 pass would be fine by me.

I've never read anyone on here say to go "pass happy." I'm just tired of seeing run, run, incomplete pass, punt.

OP
OP
S

SuperBowlXLChamps

Reaction score
http://seattletimes.com/html/dannyoneil ... eil24.html

97% think we need to pass more.

"If Lynch keeps getting this volume of carries, it would point to the probability that Seattle isn't throwing the ball any more often than it has these first seven games, and that would be a problem'

Why would that be a problem? If we keep winning this way will it be a problem? His explanation is terrible. What we need is a MORE EFFICIENT passing game... with say 2-3 INTs on the road instead of 7 thus far.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Not sure where you are seeing people saying we need to become "pass happy". And people seem to be getting confused with the phrase "open it up".

It doesn't mean we change anything other than perhaps getting rid of the stuipid bubble screens that we try with no success every week, the tendency to run-run-pass way too often, or not ensuring our top dogs stay involved throughout the game. How in the world does Sidney Rice, who catches everything and is finally healthy, get TWO PASSES thrown his way against the 49ers???

I think most of us agree we want to convert 3rd downs, get Rice and Miller more targets, and take advantage of the quick hitters instead of always relying on the deeper stuff.

Bottom line...despite having one of the top RBs in the league, we have scored 16, 13, 16 and and 6 points in our 4 road games. That's BLECH.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SuperBowlXLChamps":crwxe506 said:
http://seattletimes.com/html/dannyoneil/2019505475_oneil24.html

97% think we need to pass more.

"If Lynch keeps getting this volume of carries, it would point to the probability that Seattle isn't throwing the ball any more often than it has these first seven games, and that would be a problem'

Why would that be a problem? If we keep winning this way will it be a problem? His explanation is terrible. What we need is a MORE EFFICIENT passing game... with say 2-3 INTs on the road instead of 7 thus far.

You do realize that we can pass more and still run more than we pass right? We are currently averaging more than 32 rushes per game, vs. only 25 passes per game. Two things happen when you increase passing...one, you complete drives a little faster, giving you opportunities for more drives in a game, and second it opens up the running game for bigger plays. You could easily add 15-20% more passes and still have a very balanced attack.

OP
OP
S

SuperBowlXLChamps

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":gy5s35su said:
the tendency to run-run-pass way too often,

With 13 3rd downs last week against the 49ers we did run-run-pass a total of TWO times. Is 2 out of 13 times way too often?

MrCarey

Reaction score
Passing is just more fun to watch.

It should be pass-pass-run. That would blow their minds!

Tical21

Reaction score
Pass Happy teams win Championships.

Going back 13 Super Bowls to the 2000 Super Bowl, one balanced team has won a Super Bowl. All the rest have been "pass happy". Are you content with scraping and clawing to try to get to 10-6, only to lose to some "pass happy" team in the playoffs, or do you want to win a Super Bowl someday?

MrCarey

Reaction score
Passing wins games. Unless of course you are Blaine Gabbert.

I'm tired of playing from behind because we don't score enough points through the air and we leave the game in the hands of our defense.

OP
OP
S

SuperBowlXLChamps

Reaction score
Tical21":1widsn1a said:
Pass Happy teams win Championships.

Going back 13 Super Bowls to the 2000 Super Bowl, one balanced team has won a Super Bowl. All the rest have been "pass happy". Are you content with scraping and clawing to try to get to 10-6, only to lose to some "pass happy" team in the playoffs, or do you want to win a Super Bowl someday?
Our team that made it to (really should have won) Super Bowl XL was very balanced... I'm fine with that.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SuperBowlXLChamps":9p3zluld said:
FlyingGreg":9p3zluld said:

With 13 3rd downs last week against the 49ers we did run-run-pass a total of TWO times. Is 2 out of 13 times way too often?

One game ... now go back and chart through all 7 games.

So you are happy scoring no more than 16 points on the road every game?

OP
OP
S

SuperBowlXLChamps

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2td2asvn said:
SuperBowlXLChamps":2td2asvn said:
FlyingGreg":2td2asvn said:

One game ... now go back and chart through all 7 games.

So you are happy scoring no more than 16 points on the road every game?
That has more to do with turning the ball over on the road. Take away those INTs by Wilson and we score 20+ points in the Arizona and STL games easily. More efficient is what we need.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SuperBowlXLChamps":is6o1nry said:
FlyingGreg":is6o1nry said:

That was just one game. Not sure where Hugh Millen gets his stats, but he said this morning on KJR that the Hawks have almost double the number of run, run, pass drives this year then the next closest team.

NFL defensive coordinators are too good to be this predictable. btw, if we were scoring 20-30 points a game, I'd be fine with any of this......but we're not, so why does Carroll and Bevell continue to do it?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
That has more to do with turning the ball over on the road. Take away those INTs by Wilson and we score 20+ points in the Arizona and STL games easily. More efficient is what we need

Partly...but it also has to do with scoring TDs instead of FGs in the red zone. We've scored 3 TDs in 4 road games. That's not going to cut it.

Back to your point of "abandoning the run", that's not accurate at all - I haven't seen a single person say that.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vkfgie3 said:
NFL defensive coordinators are too good to be this predictable. btw, if we were scoring 20-30 points a game, I'd be fine with any of this......but we're not, so why does Carroll and Bevell continue to do it?

They do it because they are bringing along a 3rd round draft choice rookie at a pace they have designed for long term success. They are betting that we can stay competitive with our defense while getting Wilson built into the long term answer we've been waiting for. Whether that bet pays off is yet to be determined