You blame Bevell when his weird plays don't work

hawksfan515

Reaction score
But what about when they produce a game winner?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/10/22/35 ... tch-vs-the

If you think only running two routes against seven guys in coverage is crazy, you're not alone. Bevell called for eight blockers because both of the routes take a long time to develop. And with enough time, the play actually comes down to a 1-on-1 situation. Hence the 8 blockers. Just a way to make sure that "enough time" happens.

Made it easy for the rookie QB with good protection, and only 2 reads. All he had to do was stare down Golden till Rice got open. Not bad.

BTW, admit it Bevell haters. He's not the problem here. If you think he is, show me some actual evidence... You're just blaming him because you don't know who else to blame. Just think about it, this dude isn't even on the freaking field! Complain about someone who's a bigger problem, like Breno :lol:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Nothing weird about that. Max protection and two man routes are pretty common league wide.

Bevell may not be the problem, but we can sure as hell do a lot better.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1vqqpf6u said:
Nothing weird about that. Max protection and two man routes are pretty common league wide.

Bevell may not be the problem, but we can sure as hell do a lot better.

ehhh... I think if he was a big problem he would already be ousted, and not hand-selected in the first place. Like Aaron Curry.

I think it's mainly Breno. Then Russell. Then McQuistan. Then the WR core (aside from Rice).

But I don't think Russell's been the problem the last 2 games though, he's been playing well and helping more than hindering lately.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Yeah, because if you don't think Bevell is all that great of an OC then that totally means that you think every single thing he does sucks and you don't put blame on offensive struggles elsewhere also. :roll:

pehawk

Reaction score
Umm, the author didn't even point out the oddest and most brilliant part of the play. WTH?

I'm a huge Bevell basher, was the day he was hired, but I posted kudos for this play call. And, deservedly so.

But, I've seen two games where the Hawks had to average 6+ on 1st down rushing the ball, and still lose. With a rookie QB while maybe not playing great, he's certainly servicable.

getnasty

Reaction score
Not sure if it's all his fault, but Bevell has been pretty bad. I would be surprised if he's back next year if things don't get better.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
getnasty":6h965xvp said:
Not sure if it's all his fault, but Bevell has been pretty bad. I would be surprised if he's back next year if things don't get better.

Why has he been bad? Cause you seen the plays right?

The only play I think was actually bad was the 3rd and 1 playcall in one guy where they ran an option with Russell. Even then, Russell should've handed off to robinson going up the middle, and he executed it wrong. Other than that, no complaints because I don't have no PROOF.

And Pehawk, where is the best part of the play?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2rqpaf2t said:
getnasty":2rqpaf2t said:

Why has he been bad? Cause you seen the plays right?

The only play I think was actually bad was the 3rd and 1 playcall in one guy where they ran an option with Russell. Even then, Russell should've handed off to robinson going up the middle, and he executed it wrong. Other than that, no complaints because I don't have no PROOF.

And Pehawk, where is the best part of the play?

They're scoring 16.6 points per game. Second to last in the league. This despite having one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL. What other proof do you need?

Its not about play design, its about when he calls them and how he manages teh offense during game flow. I've seen many times where something worked well early and he went away from it, rather then keep going back to it. That drives me crazy.

Reaction score
I don't think it's entirely Bevells fault, it partly is. All we do is Run Run Pass on every drive. God damn Bevell can you change it up a little bit? But it's also players faults to, for example how many dropped passes did we have last week? 4? 5? Come on Man! This has to stop.

pehawk

Reaction score
Best part of the play was the huddle, same formation, same motion as the play before. It lulled the defense. That was brilliant.

getnasty

Reaction score
How about the 50 millions bubble screens that haven't worked and he continues to call them. Horrible

mikeak

Reaction score
When I can routinely call the next play and go 8 / 10 correct then you better believe the opposing team can figure it out as well. If you KNOW 80% of the time if the opponent will run or play then it is easier to defend even if the play itself is drawn up right....

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
My beef with Bevel is he seems to go away from what is working too quickly, and he seems slow to adjust to what defenses are doing. He's great at scripting plays, and he has some flashes of creativity, however he is not good at playing chess with opposing DC's.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
When we try to pass in the red zone and it fails, people pitch we should have run the ball. When we run the ball and it doesn't work, they pitch we should have passed the pig.

Tuff crowd.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I miss Bates to be honest. He had potential, and while some of his calls were perplexing (WE'RE GOING DEEP ON 3RD AND 1!!!!), Bates was capable of calling some of the most brilliant games that I've ever seen.

bellingerga

Reaction score
hawksfan515":e3fkikms said:
But what about when they produce a game winner?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/10/22/35 ... tch-vs-the

If you think only running two routes against seven guys in coverage is crazy, you're not alone. Bevell called for eight blockers because both of the routes take a long time to develop. And with enough time, the play actually comes down to a 1-on-1 situation. Hence the 8 blockers. Just a way to make sure that "enough time" happens.

Made it easy for the rookie QB with good protection, and only 2 reads. All he had to do was stare down Golden till Rice got open. Not bad.

BTW, admit it Bevell haters. He's not the problem here. If you think he is, show me some actual evidence... You're just blaming him because you don't know who else to blame. Just think about it, this dude isn't even on the freaking field! Complain about someone who's a bigger problem, like Breno :lol:

Breno isn't the reason why we have one of the worst offenses in the league despite having a running back producing in the top 5.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
pehawk":gieppm73 said:
Best part of the play was the huddle, same formation, same motion as the play before. It lulled the defense. That was brilliant.
That's common. You can run a whole number of plays out of the same formation and very much keep a defense guessing. The goal is to delay the reaction of the defense just a half second...quarter second...doesn't matter. A guarter second can be the difference between a TD and INT.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
getnasty":1vi0fw3n said:
How about the 50 millions bubble screens that haven't worked and he continues to call them. Horrible
I'm not a Bevell "backer" or whatever and normally don't touch on this, but if a QB sees the CB walk up tight to the WR as in press coverage you don't hike the ball, pump fake to Tate, and then throw it anyway. Right when you see the CB walk up you immediately know that you're going to have a harder time covering the distance. And that isn't something that takes a whole lot of seasoning for a QB to figure out. I have a hard time believing that Wilson doesn't know this. I'd be concerned if he didn't. What does concern me is why was the play stuck with even though it was doomed from the start? I'm hoping that as time goes on we see more command of the offense from our rook and he starts checking out of plays to something more viable.

IMO, the goal is to get the OC and QB on the same page to where they work together. Not have the OC call some premeditated play where you have no idea if it's going to work until the QB gets up to the line and still runs the play regardless of what the defense shows.

Probably too soon for that, but that's where we wanna get with or without Bevell. The bubble screen in and of itself isn't the problem. NE runs the hell out of it. RG3 still looks like he never left his college offense and gets to use them a lot. They have their place, but the QB has to know at the LOS if he can or can't throw it. Not because his OC told him while he's in the huddle.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't know if that's the Hawks' goal, obviously; but it would certainly be mine. You should want to make the OC less important via fundamental understanding of the offense by the QB. Again, though...probably too soon for that. Expectations and all....

seahawks08

Reaction score
Why go with all these complicated plays which could be a hit or a miss, of course you need to have one of these in a whole game, with a running game that is strong, we just need over the middle and slant routes. QB should be able to adjust calls depending on how the defense is set. Most of the plays seem premeditated and obvious. Shorter throws will get the QB in rhythm, of course we need some protection but even receivers will start catching the ball. Seriously the team is young, that could be nerves and dropping passes.