Standing During the Game at Clink

BoatsAndHose

Reaction score
I am curious to what people think about standing during the game. My buddies and me have had seats in Section 112 since the stadium opened and we have stood for every game for the entire game. This seems to be the standard in our section and we have never had an issue. The whole section stands.

Three seasons ago I bought two seats in Section 107 to use for me and my son when he gets a little older (to establish a father-son tradition). I have used the seats for 2-3 games and continued to stand. Nobody seems to mind that much but there is a lot of sitting in this section. One person complained one game and I said I have always standed at games and he seemed to be ok with the explanation.

Fast forward to the Pats game, a few friends were able to score some seats in Section 204 so I decided it would be fund to sit with them for a game. While I was standing I was harassed a number of times on whether I would sit down. I refused because they did not ask politely and eventually an usher came to talk to me and my buddies. I explained that I have never sat for a game and I know he couldn't require that I sit down. He then tried to intimidate me by threatening to kick me out and saying I was violating the rules. This was the Pats game and it appeared to me that literally 80%-90% of the stadium was standing (obviously the game was amazing). I refused and the guy never came back but it was quite annoying to deal with all his antics and intimidation tactics (I wasn't drunk, swearing or acting inappropriate so there was really nothing he could do). So my question is what are people's opinions with standing? I like to stand because I feel more involved and closer to the action. I would not hesitate to sit down if someone elderly, young, or disabled was behind me but I am not going to sit just to sit. Would love to hear people's opinions on this issue. Thanks all.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Stand if you want to stand. You paid to be there, and if you are not breaking rules by being drunk or swearing, then you have a right to stand.

If my experiences, we stand on Defense and sit on offense. At least in the sections I have been in. So I can see how someone might be annoyed if they wanted to sit when the Hawks are on offense and you are in their way. But when the Hawks are on D, heck no.

But you have a right to stand the whole game if you want to. Just like going to a rock concert. Pretty dumb to get mad at someone standing in front of you at a rockin' show.

thehands816

Reaction score
I don't particularly like to stand through the entire game and when someone is doing it in front of me, I have to stand and then the people behind me have to, and so on. It causes a chain reaction that requires people to stand even though they may not want or be able to. Their only other choice is to stay seated and miss seeing the game. I think it's selfish to insist on standing in a section where others are not. If something happens that warrants standing, then by all means stand. But when the moment passes and everyone else is sitting and you insist on remaining standing, that's when I find it selfish. And with all the rowdy behavior at a football game and instances of fans being beaten, unfortunately not everyone is comfortable saying something to someone who insists on standing in their way of seeing the game. We all pay a lot of money for our tickets and deserve the right to enjoy the game without infringing upon others rights to do the same. I want you to cheer and enjoy it, but not at the expense of others enjoying it too.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Standing is normal in our house. Those that don't like it, go buy a club suite in Dallas and get the hell out of Seattle.

thehands816

Reaction score
I agree...if many people are standing I'll understand and join in. Our crowd IS our home field advantage. I only have a problem when it's 1 or 2 people standing during the entire game in a section where others are not.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
It happens at every stadium. I was at the San fran game last Thursday and the people were up ALL THE TIME. It's a football game not a Symphony or a Ballet, no big deal. I will be standing and yelling when I come up for the Vikes game in two weeks (or I hope I have something to stand and yell at).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm a Sounders Season Ticket holder, and have this discussion all the time.

My feeling is standing = more energy and screaming, so if we want to maximize home field advantage standing is a good thing. I don't buy into the "I paid for the seat and want to sit, so everyone else needs to sit around me."

IMO it's a section by section thing, if your section is rowdy and likes to stand, stand the hell up. If not, go sit with the blue hairs down in the club seats.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
It is pretty obnoxious when there is 1 or 2 people in a whole section standing while the Hawks are on offense. Sure, its not against the rules but I think its kind of a dick move. Now, if everyone is standing, no problem.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":8yh26y2x said:
It is pretty obnoxious when there is 1 or 2 people in a whole section standing while the Hawks are on offense. Sure, its not against the rules but I think its kind of a dick move. Now, if everyone is standing, no problem.

Yea, that's true, standing and making any (loud) noise when the team is on offense makes no sense at all.

themunn

Reaction score
I've never liked the idea of sitting at a football match (or any other sporting event or concert)
That said, if nobody else around me was standing, I'd feel obliged to sit. Yes I paid to be there, but so did everyone else around me, and they don't deserve their enjoyment ruined because I don't want to sit.
I would however try everything in my power to sit (well, stand) elsewhere

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There is one form of standing that I hate, and it's when people are standing with their backs to the field on their iPhones, talking to each other, or waving to friends not paying attention.

One of these games I'm gonna grab the phone and huck it onto the field...........but then Golden would drop it and I'd be sad.

The Radish

Reaction score
One thing none of you are considering.

We have sat in several places in the stadium and have never found fans standing the entire game. In our case, it is physically impossible to stand that long. I can stand for 10-15 minutes at one time and then am in so much pain I have to sit down.

I have pretty much seen the standing on defense, sitting on offense. Seems to be the rule. I've never been to a game where I didn't get to see the game but have serious reservations about people that feel they need to stand the entire game.

Yes, everyone pays for their tickets, but not for the right to deny other people that aren't as young as you or physically able to see the game.

Are the sections we have sat in been loud and boisterous? Damn straight! Do we scream as much as anyone else? Damn straight. I understand this is a football game not a movie, but standing the entire game in front of people who can't seems a bit over the top to me.

Thankfully I have no game friends who are that unfeeling. And in the future if we are using someone else's game day tickets we purchased from them I will be sure and ask if that's the norm in the section and if so not purchase them.

I have been to lots of sporting events college & pro and never seen anyone crass enough to stand for the entire game.

I'm not asking anyone to not enjoy the game but would understand fans complaining about other fans doing that.

:roll:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Radish said:
I have been to lots of sporting events college & pro and never seen anyone crass enough to stand for the entire game.

I hear ya, but I don't think it's "crass" for people to stand for the entire game. Like some have said it's a section by section thing, if some sections like to stand for most or all of the game, then it's not really fair for the entire section to sit cause of a handful of people.

If we're being fair, it's a majority vs. minority thing. Majority want to stand = stand. Majority want to sit = sit.

The Radish

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tvhgxfw said:
The Radish said:

I hear ya, but I don't think it's "crass" for people to stand for the entire game. Like some have said it's a section by section thing, if some sections like to stand for most or all of the game, then it's not really fair for the entire section to sit cause of a handful of people.

If we're being fair, it's a majority vs. minority thing. Majority want to stand = stand. Majority want to sit = sit.
[/quote]

And I'd wager that if you asked the entire stadium for their opinion you'd find that the loudest fans in the NFL wish you sit down and shut up when the teams on offense. But of course I've jumped up many times on long pass plays or running plays to see the end of them.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If you're the only one standing while players are in the huddle when the offense is on the field, that's different. Sitting on offense is fine. Sitting when the defense is on the field IS NOT.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think there are areas where people stand all game ... i've done it and I'm fine with it. If you're in an area where people sit most of the time, and you're blocking someone who would rather sit behind you, then why stand? Yeah, they should have asked nicer, but still.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I hope I'm in a standing section (124) for my first game...but I'll accommodate either side of this coin.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Generally down low or in end zones, you're standing all game. Up higher towards middle there's more sitting.

Latest posts